Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we're on track for our first rally this fall. Our choices are Rally New York, Black River Stages, or the Rally New York Autumn Gravel sprint. This will be my first event as a driver and the co-drivers first event as well.

We're leaning towards the gravel sprint at this point for its compact schedule, one day format and our familiarity with the area from previous times at RNY, but the Int'l RNY looks good too.

BRS is a little farther, we're in northeast CT, but doable as well.

This is our first rally, so we have no delusions about placing well, dead last but finishing is good for us. We've been around rally for about 7 years, and I've poured over the knowledge on SS for quite a while too and its time to jump into the competition side. We'll basically be driving what I see and learning the sport from inside the car, we're just looking to finish, red mist aside, in our open light impreza with the 2.2l.

If you were dual-noobs, which would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Dan McGinn

·
Rally, Win, Drink Beer
895 Posts
If you go to BRS you'll have to sit through the Novice Competitor Orientation which is about 3 hours long but is WELL WORTH IT for a brand new competitor.

Safety procedures, timing procedures, etc. are all covered.

I am not sure if they do the same at the RNY events (but I'm sure someone will let us know soon!).

Either way, you are going to find great people at both. Making friends with your fellow competitors is the best way to get through it without doing anything too dumb.

edit: Do your navvie a favor and buy Dave Shindle's book for him or her. Best case is you actually have a chance to sit down with Dave (or ride 12 hours to NEFR with him ;)) and ask questions, but the book is also a really nice reference to have.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They do novice orientation at RNY.. its about an hour... I went to RNY last year to spectate, and sat in the novice orientation just to learn more..

·
L4 into trees
701 Posts
I started my novice career at BRS (twice) and found it to be a great event to do so. The people are very easy going and willing to help out a new guy. The event is a very simple format (or was last time I was there) with a single service and compact route.

I can't really speak to RNY from the point of a competitor. I've never participated, only worked.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started my novice career at BRS (twice) and found it to be a great event to do so. The people are very easy going and willing to help out a new guy. The event is a very simple format (or was last time I was there) with a single service and compact route.

I can't really speak to RNY from the point of a competitor. I've never participated, only worked.
Good to know, thanks!

·
Rally, Win, Drink Beer
895 Posts
I want to be selfish and just say BRS just so we have someone in our class to run against. ;)

BRS will have night stages this year, so that's something you may or may not be comfortable with during your inagural event.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to be selfish and just say BRS just so we have someone in our class to run against. ;)

BRS will have night stages this year, so that's something you may or may not be comfortable with during your inagural event.
:D I'm comfortable with night stages, I'll just have to get some more lighting up front!

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
They do novice orientation at RNY.. its about an hour... I went to RNY last year to spectate, and sat in the novice orientation just to learn more..
I usually do the orientation for RNY. It is informal and about safety, safety procedures, and safety.

My first line is always the same; "If you are here to learn how to rally it is to late, I can't teach you how to rally in one hour, but I will teach you how to be safe." It is my belief that if you got so far as to have a rally car and get into it you should have done preperation on the procedures as well. Additionally, any protracted conversation about the minutia of time cards (RNY may have the easiest in NA), controls and what not, dilutes the real message I am there to stress... and takes time away from discussing safety.

So I will not teach you how to rally but I will answer any and all questions I can after the briefing. If I don't know I will find out the answer and hunt you down before the rally starts. And I will ask you a couple questions to feel you out anyway. I take the CRO job seriously.

BTW twice my charges (New competitors) have been first responders to accidents that required medical attention & stopage of the stage, and both times they did everything right.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try to get your navigator into a rally with someone experienced first,
that way one of you will have more of a clue.
I think this is the largest transgression of rally knowledge gleaned from SS that we are making, and that plays a part in my asking if either BRS or RNY would be better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
While I can't comment on RNY. My co-driver and I did BRS as our first rally last year and had a ton of fun. The roads are great, besides the jumps they aren't car breakers IMO. The schedule was pretty relaxed overall plus the food at the awards ceremony was excellent.

downside is you have to invest in some lights for the night stages. there are plenty of good options that aren't full HIDs.

do them both?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input so far, some good info from competitors I have a lot of respect for!

·
Registered
859 Posts
BRS has some of the most fun roads. As mentioned there are some big jumps but launching is up to you. I have run BRS several times as a driver and have run the rally sprint and IRNY as a co-driver. The rally sprint is also a good choice but I would suggest you do that with an experienced driver as it offers recce. If I were you, I would start outnwith BRS as its a fun rally, has great roads, relaxed schedule and notes!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
My vote is for BRS, second choice the sprint.
A question (that was implied by an earlier comment). Have either of you run a TSD event before? If you have (or do), that would be a big start towards learning the timing, score card, transit part of stage rallying. While there is much more than that, it certainly helps. And having been around the sport for several years, you know some of the other ins and outs. There have been others that have jumped in both feet first with absolutely no exposure and it's been difficult for them.

·
we fixed our turbo problem.
53 Posts
I vote BRS 1st and Int'l RNY 2nd. I think a two day event is better so you can take some time coming to speed and learning the car, working together etc.. Look at it as two events in a weekend with a goal to finish both.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input everyone, my codriver has drill (AF reserve) on IRNY weekend, so it looks like the October gravel sprint will be the first, I look forward to meeting some of you there!

Dan McGinn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts