Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know!

I can barely run in Alberta, so what the heck am I doing trying to get to Baie? Well, stupid is as stupid does so here I go!

The Swift more or less finished Rocky and with that I am tied for National P1! Not to mention leading the Western Canada P2 class!

I assure you; I had little to do with either of these positions but National events are cool!

I am still busy correcting the damage from Rocky, but I can send the car on the train or drive my self in it from Calgary to New Richmond!

What I would like is to see if I can put my car on the train and get a lift to the train yard in Toronto. After that I can drive my rally car around town as long as I can find someone to help carry some tires and my Rubbermaid bin up to New Richmond from the Toronto Train yard.

I also might need a lift into one of the nearby towns on Friday as the car will be locked in park fermer as I won?t have a car to get to the hotel in (I still need to book one so I might have to stay in Montreal)! ; )

I heard that there is a train that goes to New Richmond so I might see how much that will cost as it does both people and freight!

If anybody can lend some advice or help I am all ears!

Also, I need a navi for the event as well!

Cheers,

Ashton Evans
The team of one
Team Manager/Owner/Mechanic/Service Crew/Director of Marketing and begging
89? Swift GTi

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
"Motor racing is a disease of the brain" Pink Floyd

>I can barely run in Alberta, so what the heck am I doing
>trying to get to Baie? Well, stupid is as stupid does so
>here I go!

You're hooked, now an official rally addict. Soon your credit will be maxed out. Get professional help ASAP.

·
Registered
280 Posts
RE: "Motor racing is a disease of the brain" Pink Floyd

Now thats it !!

im finishing the new car asap and will be going to Pacific forest !! LOL :+

i do not suggest you do do all that trip only whit one car...your rally car ? what would happen if you get swalowd by a cliff in the event?

also unless you camp on the service area...you wont find any hotel available in new richmond you will have to go...30...40km away...but im shure you could find people to give you a ride...

if you really dont have a choice...shipping your tires and parts bin could be done by buss...its usualy very cheap and fast..plus all the litle city's have a grey houd or voyageur buss stop. Or you could get in touch whit some teams that mite have place for your boxes ?

Installing a tow bar on the car is alot cheaper then a trailler...thats what we use...that...and a CAA membership haha!

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Addict? No; drunken with dreams of National rallying is more like it!
*Is denial the first step of being a rally addict?*

I do realize there is a certain risk being dependant on the rally car. I don?t have, or have access to, a sufficient tow vehicle otherwise toe bars would make sense. I am at the point where I am willing to buy a trailer in Toronto and find some way to get it licensed and borrow some unfortunate guy or girl?s truck to get it to New Richmond.

Sleeping in the service area is currently my plan but my navi, if I find one, might not like that idea too much!

I might call U-Haul or one of the rental companies and rent in Toronto and drive to New Richmond. Maybe one of the other teams stopping in Toronto might want to chip in for the truck etc? Anyone?

At the same time I don't think the opportunity for me to compete nationally will arise again for several years as I am going back to school this fall. I would like to do the remaining four National events and then I think I might be on the side lines for the next four years! The well paying non educated jobs are hard to get into and I don?t have a pilot license to do those low altitude border crossings! ; )

Ashton Evans

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Ashton -
You really can't afford to not have a second vehicle ... at worst - renting a mini-van to sleep in woudl be worth it.
Don't underestimate the importance of arriving at a rally rested and 'fresh'

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I might be able to swindle a trailer out East I just need to find a rental company that rents with hitches!

U-Haul gave me a price of $1227.00 one way for a truck!

Ouch!

The car rental companies don?t have cars, trucks or vans that come with a trailer hitch!

There is also a train to New Richmond; does anybody know how I would go about using the $50 CARS train to Toronto then having the car go to New Richmond on the train? Then I can rent a van to go from Toronto to New Richmond and the car can ride the train!

That sounds nice!

Ashton

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Ashton - locally both Hertz and Budget rent full size P/U trucks with hitches

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Randy's sercet

>Not to give away all my secrets but what you are looking for
>is a co-driver based in Toronto.

....with his/her own tow vehicle and trailer.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Pshaw!

These guys are a bunch of softies. I drove the Lada to events, and sometimes I had to make some interesting repairs to drive it home (people may remember the Silverstone Black Bear in 2001...). Sure it's a risk that you'll wad it up and not have a car to get home. But you'll figure it out. Same with camping and hotels. Throw a tent in. Sponge off us and others for showers. You're young. You have your whole life to buy trailers and tow vehicles and make hotel reservations a year in advance. And when you've been doing that for a while you might yearn for the days when things were simpler and you had a tent, a codriver, and just had to keep the damn car on the road.

Randy Zimmer always stands out in my mind as someone who gets the most mileage from the least. He ran the Alberta rallies last year by putting his car on the train with two spares and a few parts in it (we carried a few tires for him) and drove the car throughout the Alberta leg as I recall. Take his advice of local codriver, though. how about Alan Ockwell? Knowing both of you, you might get along well.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RE: Pshaw!

Ahhh... There is some of that fuzzy logic I like!

Unfortunately my infamous rally seat and the Canadian customs people have still not sorted there differences. I am also in need of tires and rims!

I think I will go for the tent, two tires, and a tooth brush for the next one though! The train is tomorrow and I just can't make it!

We will see though, as I have always wanted to drive across Canada and in a rally car would just add that touch of class!

Thanks again for the vote of confidence ACP!

Ashton

+ I think it is a legal term "Pshaw, Like he is innocent!"

++ Excuse my illiteracy, but it is a real word in Canadian English.
?Pshaw interj. An expression of contempt or impatience. ? As per The Canadian Oxford Dictionary. And here I though ACP had just watched Wayne?s World too many times!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Piffle!

Pat Richard, on his first trip to the east, had an ill-suited trailer or something and eventually had to take the rally car off the trailer and drive it some or most of the way. The old Lada team had five people in a Niva to tow the Samara. Randy has towed his Impreza with his Legacy. There are no rules.

And incidentally I /have/ watched Wayne's World too many times.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Ashton, drop me a line if you have a minute, I might be able to help you out. I'm away from home until Tuesday and not checking SS regularly but will reply ASAP.

Thanks

Alan Ockwell
[email protected]

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've driven my rally car all the way, or part way (i.e. train and then drive the car from the train to the rally which is still far away, or half way like at voyageurs) to a rally at least 10 times (rocky, oregon, voyageurs, tall pines, quebec, perce neige, wild west, doo ****, etc.). I've done a one-week "$199 unlimited kms" jeep chreokee rental and put a hitch on it and returned it with 9000kms on it (kept the hitch and then sold it). Borrow a trailer, or rent a uhaul trailer from wherever and put it on whatever to get there.

if you have a 2wd car, you shouldn't have as much problem cuz you can use a dolly. Just make sure you dont bend it (the car) or you wont get home.

One thing you really need to do is pressure wash the rally car underneath really well *everywhere you can* before hitting the highway. Trust me. Mud wears through stuff.

-Pat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts