Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went 900 miles to get there and I'm glad I did. Made more money than all the SCCA events combined (and have the checks already). Cost a third to enter. Results given out at awards (20+ pages). Tow money. Very flowing and interesting roads and near perfect organization. I didn't look specifically (I was busy) but imagine 5000 fans at the bridge and final jumps. A new 24K stage that the regulars didn't know. Two minute windows for EVERYONE. Single service and only two longish transits, the rest were all about as short as I've ever seen. My first 600 miles was uninteresting but once on the Peninsula there were rivers, oceans, bays, mountains and stores selling "poisson" which didn't sound like I wanted it.
Short story, if you go once, you'll go back.
Video uploading right now.
rz

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There are some really fine events in Quebec & Ontario. If you are looking for seat time at minimal expense, I can personally recommend any of them.

As an aside, Walter Boyce once told me he liked running in the USA because the roads were so predicable & forgiving. I think he's right. The roads in the Canadian shield are hard to read and very unforiving if you err. Great place to gain experience, but harsh to beginners.

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: hard to read?

I didn't see a big difference except the roads are always interesting (not boring).
People can crash anywhere given the chance, even an easy to see, open area can take someone out.
With notes becoming more the norm, the old notions will become meaningless.
This was a blind rally but well documented, I wish a couple turns here and there had been included though (whew! I was lucky a lot.)
---
Dave,
As you know, the car won't get up the speed to make a big deal of them but having the rear sub-frame break free w/ a couple Ks of B-6 to go was "interesting".
The finish was a long combination of turn-crest-land and the rear was swinging two feet like a broken panhard would cause.
B-1 is up and B-4 is 35% done at 10am.
This was the most un-interesting stage and a rude awakening for Sat. morning. Kinda flatout and a bad place to be sleepy.
www.randyzimmer.com

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
results

ACP had a flat w/12k to go on the stage or would have won, he's heard it a lot but... it'll happen.
Don't forget Julien Pilon, he always goes very, very fast and this rally was not a one-off, he flies all the time.
Early outs for three top cars hurt the excitement of the event, too bad.
I had my best driving rally, even what didn't work - worked. Being back at sea-level made not having a turbo a lot easier than out in Alberta.
video at 90% for B-4
more to come later 2nite, going into work.
rz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts