Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm watching the horribly edited show that reviewed LSPR the other night on SpeedTV. It's amusing what kinds of "bad habits" some teams reveal to the camera.

The one that got me up the most is Utecht/Secor coming around a right hander, slowing down for the IMPROPERLY placed triangle on the outside, cutting in on the corner, and then seeing Burke/Bradley on the right. Man I cracked up on that one.
Yes we've trained folks well on triagles still I see. It's gotten SO much better that now we can see it on TV. ;)

(plus I enjoyed ramana sliding into the delta straight on, and then continuing through the tape as well.)

Overall a poorly edited show though. Listing names and showing wrong cars, talking about one team whilst showing a different. Very confusing for the knowledable.

Ed

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>(plus I enjoyed ramana sliding into the delta straight on,
>and then continuing through the tape as well.)
>

Strictly speaking, that was a smart move, because going reverse direction on a stage is a disqualification offense, and shorting the course is not. Didn't make up for the original dumb move...

Bruce

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Speaking of bad habits caught on camera, check out:

http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/015/2003_R_GB_Fines.htm

Sounds like photo-radar is a lucrative business in Wales.

My question is: why were so many speeding? Naturally heavy feet, tight recce transits, or just wanting to get in the maximum amount of recce?

Maybe they ought to have the codriver or service crew do all the transit driving on recce so if they get busted speeding, the driver doesn't have to swap out of his seat.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
>Speaking of bad habits caught on camera, check out:
>
>http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/015/2003_R_GB_Fines.htm
>
>Sounds like photo-radar is a lucrative business in Wales.
>

Seems like the local boys did not get hit as hard as the furriners. Nice to see that "home cooking" still exists in the British legal system. No license ban for the local boys. A quote from the story:

"British aces Colin McRae and Richard Burns were among those fined in a Welsh court this morning (Monday).

Daniel Carlsson, Freddy Loix, Kris Meeke and Armin Schwarz all received licence bans after most were caught offending by a speed camera set-up on a two-mile stretch of public road between the rally's service area and the 'shakedown' stage.

Those banned will still be able to drive in rallies in the UK but not drive on public roads between special stages, where their co-drivers will have to take over."

Velly intelesting.

Wilson

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Yeah- Mark called the triangle on the left, I was surprised to look up and see Charlie on my side. -

Now, in Rally GB, who thought that Marcus' was playing with the 'copper like he was in the movie "Joe vs the Volcano" ?
"but I CAN make back"

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
I'm glad I got to see myself jumping out of the way as Pasi slid off the road on stage 9. Got more calls from friends saying "I saw you!" It was a little nerve-racking when it happened though.

The show was a little jumbled up, but I'm just glad I can watch it on the teevee. Poor rally is better than no rally.

Pete

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I believe the coverage is poor because the people putting the show together have no idea what to do with night rallying. That only leaves one Friday stage and the Saturday filler to stretch into an hour. Shame they didn't use the opportunity to cover a little more GpN, Gp5, etc.

·
Banned
183 Posts
"Competitors shall not drive a stage road in the opposite direction of the rally route while the stage is open for competition. The penalty for violation of this rule shall be at the discretion of the event steward."

Just the way it appears in the rule book. Doesn't look like an automatic DQ.

Rob

G

·
0 Posts
>I believe the coverage is poor because the people putting
>the show together have no idea what to do with night rallying.

Then ban night rallying! Night rallying doesn't sell cars.

Better yet... Hold a rally in a stadium with lights. Better
still.. would be to have all the cars drive in a circle at
the same time. Doing that would allow the spectators and
TV audience to figure out who is winning.

Oh wait! I forgot.... with the current trends that is coming.

What are they going to call it? Rally?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Better yet... Hold a rally in a stadium with lights. Better
>still.. would be to have all the cars drive in a circle at
>the same time. Doing that would allow the spectators and
>TV audience to figure out who is winning.
>
>Oh wait! I forgot.... with the current trends that is
>coming.

The trend in ProRally in 2003, if you were paying attention, was toward more night stages and fewer "stadium style" spectator stages, while adding more spectator areas out in the woods.

Bruce

·
Registered
374 Posts
I really thought that he was going to get back into the car and start to take off back to service. I wonder if the cop would have arrested him?

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
38 Posts
That was exactly the argument going on in my brain at the time... "Do we shortcut or do we reverse...?"

The decision making process would have been alot easier if I had only braked a split second earlier and negotiated the corner properly. Live and learn, I guess!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Those of us standing at the corner remarked that it took quick thinking and a cool head to make the correct decision at that point.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I noticed the triangle too.

The "wrong way" rule does require some common sense. If you do spin out (180) and you need to briefly move back up the stage to ebrake back around because there isn't room to turn around in place.... are you going to get dq'd?

Other choices are: a) sit there, b) reverse along the stage until you find enough room to turn around (yeah right)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts