Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get an awning (ez-up type) for this up-coming year. What size do you recommend? I would prefer the 10x15, but are some service area too tight for this? I know at LSPR (Fri night) it was a little tight.
Input please.....
Bryan

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
12 x 12 is better than 10 x 10. 12 x 12 at Kmart for ~ $90 (Ez-Up brand. Quik Shade is another inexpensive brand that will last for a long time if you take care of it. ~ $70 at Pep Boys. I have one of each, 1 for the rally car in service, 1 for the crew/tools if the weather is bad.

·
Registered
660 Posts
>10x20 is best (well, HEX is best). The 10x15's I have seen
>are still pretty expensive.
>
Another hint: Be aware that some (most?) of the companies specify sizes of canopies as leg dimensions and not top dimensions, so if the design has angled legs, the top can be much smaller than the dimensions shown on the box. I once bought a "10x10" that was actually a 8'6" x 8'6". The angled-leg versions are more stable in the wind but take up more footprint area on the ground.

Jim Cox
>

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If you have a Sam's Club around, they seem to have a variety of sizes and types for pretty good prices. Search "canopy" on samsclub.com.

My local store has the 10x10 and 10x20 EZup brand regularly.

Bruce

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
10x15 covers the car pretty well, but is much larger and heavier than the 10x10 when folded up. This means it takes more space in the van and is a bigger PIA for the crew. Of course, being able to work on both ends of the car while staying dry in the rain keeps them from complaining. I'm exploring the idea of using two 10x10's, with a something to bridge the gap in the middle. Cheaper, lighter, less space, more flexible, etc... but a potential for getting wet.

BTW, I checked with EZUP, and they don't sell the hexagonal ones in the US. They come from Europe, which equals big bucks.

BTW number two, there is a big difference between the cheapie canopies and good ones. Beware the Wal-mart specials.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
2, 8 x 12 ezups provide 12 x 16 coverage for less. Wire tie/zip tie the wide side legs, fold the panels that meet & use duct tape for a gutter in the rain, provides perfect size for tight service areas (MFR Errol this year) and all you need in a wide open service area (RNY Narrowsburgh). Also allows flexability of using one for a service that moves and needs quick set up breakdown utility (one unit used)and all day stay put comfort (both set, secured and waiting). Cost was less than 10x20 3 yrs ago. A poor mans hex.

Bernie

·
Registered
356 Posts
>BTW, I checked with EZUP, and they don't sell the hexagonal
>ones in the US. They come from Europe, which equals big
>bucks.

About a year ago, Otis mentioned this (not being able to get them in the states). I can't remember where, but I was able to find a link on the EZ-Up website to the model number and US pricing for the hex units. While I can't remember exactly how much they were, I DO remember that they were in the $3000 range. I can't remember if it was directly from the EZUp store or one of their licensed dealers, though...

BTW, a 10x10 Eclipse or Eclipse II EZ-Up can be slowly errected by one person. A 10x20 Eclipse II can be easily errected by 2 people (not by 1 person, though). My 10x10 steel eclipse weighs 70 lbs. Not sure how much NC's 10x20's weigh, but I can pick them up and put them in the box truck myself (although it's not fun).

·
Registered
724 Posts
I should add more info, the 10x20 is the one we picked because it gives a lot of coverage but costs a lot less than a hex plus in a pinch you can use it to get two cars in a nice thing if you have to. The downside it is heavy (really heavy I cannot lift it by myself) and if you have more than one service area per day then it is a utter an complete pain to put up and take down we generally just leave it on the truck. The Hex is so nice and the perfect shape but you really need to have a matching ground sheet which is another expense. If you notice the works teams no longer are using the ez-up style anymore they have switched to a scaffold system (central servicing is great) which you can also purchase overseas. Most teams that do use the canopies do not use the EZ-up brand (I am talking about work teams) but rather they use a UK based company.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I got the heavy duty 10x10 EZ-Up Encore from Sam's a couple years back. I got that one mainly because I wanted to be able to use it at events where I go by my self - hillclimbs, rally-x, etc. Looks like setting up and stowing the larger ones takes more people. I also know the brand is good and models tend to be available for a few years, unlike the <$100 light weight things. This means I can later buy a second one (which I havent had the need to do) to create a 10x20 service area if need be. Joining them and keeping rain out would be a matter of making a "rain gutter" from a waterproof tarp (or the banner/awning provided) that is hung from the internal frames of each along the "joint" between them. The zip-together, velcro-in side walls are nice to have too.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>About a year ago, Otis mentioned this (not being able to get
>them in the states). I can't remember where, but I was able
>to find a link on the EZ-Up website to the model number and US
>pricing for the hex units. While I can't remember exactly how
>much they were, I DO remember that they were in the $3000
>range. I can't remember if it was directly from the EZUp
>store or one of their licensed dealers, though...

I am a licensed dealer, and they are not available through EZup here. I would not be surprised if another dealer is importing these himself, or perhaps with some help from EZup, but long story short they are not readily available.

On a side note, being that I am a dealer, if someone puts together a reasonable group buy, or simply needs a quantity, I'd be willing to do the deal at my cost. Race teams only! It would most likely need to be at 6 units to make it worth our while.

>
>BTW, a 10x10 Eclipse or Eclipse II EZ-Up can be slowly
>errected by one person. A 10x20 Eclipse II can be easily
>errected by 2 people (not by 1 person, though). My 10x10
>steel eclipse weighs 70 lbs. Not sure how much NC's 10x20's
>weigh, but I can pick them up and put them in the box truck
>myself (although it's not fun).

10x10 goes up easily alone. 10x15 and 10x20 can be done alone on a flat smooth surface, but is a PIA. I looked yesterday afternoon, and folded up the 10x10 is less than 1/3 the size of the 10x20.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 13 of 13 Posts