Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Global Village Idiot
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I have been offered for sale 2 transmissions that will mount up to my EJ20 turbo motor but cannot find any info on them.
The first is a 5 speed from 2.0 normally aspirated late model Impreza from Japan.
The second is a 5 speed from a 2.0 TWIN TURBO from Japan. I didn't even know Subaru made a twin turbo - STI website is confusing and also my Japanese is a bit rusty!

The guy selling them seems to think that the trannies are the same in both models - but with Subaru making such crappy 'boxes I can;t belive they would not put a beefier trans in the turbo model.
So, should I pony up for the twin turbo tranny hoping its the real deal - or is the regular 2.0 using the same trans and the hiked up price just because the other came from a turbo!

Any help or info is appreciated!
Thanks
Nick Taylor.

·
Registered
452 Posts
>The first is a 5 speed from 2.0 normally aspirated late
>model Impreza from Japan.
even the 1.8 awd tranny will bolt up to the EJ20....
what tranny do you have on the car right now????
why do you feel the need to upgrade your tranny???

the 2.0 NA (Sport tranny i am assuming...) will bolt up just fine and will be solid enough i would think...!

>The second is a 5 speed from a 2.0 TWIN TURBO from Japan. I
>didn't even know Subaru made a twin turbo - STI website is
>confusing and also my Japanese is a bit rusty!

Technically, "STi" never made a twin turbo. but there are twin turbo non STi Legacies in Japan... ;) and i dont think you would need a "twin turbo" tranny... no need to pay extra for a tranny that came from a "turbo" when nearly any subaru tranny will work just as well...

>So, should I pony up for the twin turbo tranny hoping its
>the real deal - or is the regular 2.0 using the same trans
>and the hiked up price just because the other came from a
>turbo!

use the regular 2.0.... or even consider what you have in the car right now IF you currently have a tranny???

that's my advice anyway...
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Nick!

>So, should I pony up for the twin turbo tranny hoping its
>the real deal - or is the regular 2.0 using the same trans
>and the hiked up price just because the other came from a
>turbo!

IMHO, if you are running a GpN car neither tranny will help you.
The (twin turbo) legacy tranny has diff. ratio's. then WRX.
Keep looking for STi RA or STi tranny. RA tranny different
then non-RA tranny. :)

Simon

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe you have a bigger problem in the the new WRX EJ20T has a 6 bolt housing and the older EJ20T's have a 4 bolt housing. I could be wrong but...
Check out www.mrtrally.com for more info. They have the homologated gear sets that you install into your case. (straight cut gears no less..) They are not that expensive considering what you would pay for those trannies anyways or if you DNF becuz of a tranny failure.
Mark
www.rrunracing.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts