Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non-rally project for which I need a pair of Sierra/XR4ti rear hubs/bearing carrier and disk brakes--basically everything between the half-shaft and the wheel. Anyone have any idea where I could find these parts?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where are you at? There is a Junkyard (with capital J) in Canton Michigan that has minimum 6 XR4ti's. I'm sure there is at least one good rear end assy. They are a Pick & pull, and wont ship - But I may be able to help ship (cause I love trapsing around the junkyard.) email me at [email protected] Kendall Jones

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Hi Jon,
You know the Xratty has BEEEEEG stinking Drum brakes dontcha?
I have stacks of bearing carriers, stubshafts and flanges for the drum brake stuff, and I also have the rear disc stuff for Cossie 4x4 which is a different set up entirely. They are 278x20mm.

What yer gonna do? I have stack of guys who want to do rear discs so I am gonna do up a kit so they don't have to spend the dough for the Imported stuff.
Do you need the XRs 4 1/4" bolt circle w 4 bolts?
come on spill it....I won't giggle, I promise.

John Vanlandingham

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Hi Jon, now we see the value of one picture!
Ok, 2wd Cossie, and US Spec Scorpio have the same diameter disc as the 4x4 but it's non-vent.
You still didn't say if you want specificly the Ford 4 on 4 1/4 bolt circle.
The Scorpio has some spasssy 5 bolt pattern.
Reason I ask is cause you can always index the flange over and do a new 4 bolt easy on 4 bolt, and easy 5 bolt on old 5 bolt so this gives you options.

I will say the stuff is reasonably sized in terms of bearings and CV size, and we know it's good for the stock car's 150mph (with a sedan weighing 2500 to 2750lbs.
What you gonna do for a rear diff etc.

You know a lot of the Caterham and Westfield stuff these days is Sierra stuff, Caterham uses a Ford 7" Diff with the std VC and 3.62 ratio. Some guys sure like the Typ9 Ford box too, cheapest gearsets out there.

And since you're gonna be making something that actually go fast I would be wary of say Miata stuff, it seems as tho the Jap cars are always a bit stingy and give you just enough for the desinged job and not a bit more...
Come on, more details

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a line on a complete Honda S2000 drivetrain, including the Torsen rear diff. It's amazing how cheap you can get parts from a sharp handling RWD car sold to kids who don't know how to drive them. There must be more rolled/spun/squished S2000s as a percentage of total number sold than any car in history. :D

The Fury is designed around Sierra donor parts. Stupid me forgot to order the rear bearing carriers with the kit. Here is what I've got: http://www.furyous.org/images/jonfury_gar13.jpg

Bolt pattern should be 4 on 4.25 to match the Sierra front uprights. Non-vented rear discs is fine--so it sounds like I need Scorpio parts? Or can the XR4Ti parts be used with aftermarket rear discs?

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
OK Jon the next question is whats your hole diameter, I'll measure the drum brake ones and the disc brake one and see what we have, should note that the Gp A cars used to mill off the ears and use a alloy intermediate plate to accomodate the AP calipers and the big discs. You could do sumpin like that if your hole is for the drum brake style.
let me know.
HOKAY; the drum brake carrier shoulder is 76mm and the disc brake carrier is 82mm.
Whats youse gots?

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So assuming I don't want or need big heavy Merkur disks or iron calipers (or a parking brake) and can order up some suitable Wilwood pieces and Bert Arano can machine a caliper bracket, what's left?

Thanks!

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Hi Jon, if you want, I can send you some of the drum brake earless style things and you machine a ring to make up the difference so the location is good, also I can send some of the outer stub axle and wheel flanges.
Willwood has a narrow offset hat for Ford bolt circle you may want to look at if youre going that route, or for a solid iron thang look at 85 on SAAB 9000 rear.
Let me know.

John Vanlandingham

1 - 12 of 12 Posts