Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(EDIT: This thread got messed up so I had to delete it. Reposting the original topic here.)

tifosi77 worte: I think that everyone that uses Corbeau Seats should be aware that every model of Corbeau seat has had it's FIA homologation pulled. In this day and age where safety is our number one concern anyone using a Corbeau seat should look at this as a sign that their equipment is not safe to use in rallying. For those interested look at this link and scroll down.

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/949453471__List_12_Approved_seats.pdf

G

·
If they are in Gp. N cars they are no longer acceptable. In SCCA
classes we don't have a certification requirement and so nothing will
happen. Owners should be aware and take appropriate action.
Doug

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 12:05 PM
To: Doug Robinson
Subject: FIA seat approvals - what happens when it's withdrawn?

Hi Doug-

Apparently the FIA has withdrawn approval for a number of Corbeau seats fairly recently, a few of which I think are fairly popular.

Will those seats then require the use of a seat back brace or what will the effect be on Rally folks?

take care
Matt

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
FIA bulletin says clearly SAFETY REASONS, so it doesn't seem like a paperwork SNAFU. I know that they have a new seat shell manufacturer (strange but true, they don't mold their shells anymore, they outsource it to someone I know very well). Now if there is an inconsistency in molding or material etc with the involvement of the new supplier, FIA's decision would make sense.

Since for Gr N the car has to be equipped with FIA homologated equipment, these seats will not be usable any longer. Using them in non FIA classes would not be against the rules but would you feel comfortable strapping yourself in a seat that was banned by FIA for one reason or the other ?

When we are dicussing whether competitors should be EMTs, PHDs, scuba divers or astronauts, IMHO, defending banned seats seems a bit ridiculous.
Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We are talking homologation, not testing. Homologation involves the registration of certain parts with the FIA for use in certain vehicles & series. It neither certifies nor implies any performance capability. SFI, Snell, ANSI, etc., perform this function. That Corbeau is late with their paperwork and bribe has no bearing on the certification process or safty and performance of their product.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Who says anything about testing ???

I really don't have any interrest in starting a debate/discussion on this subject which doesn't bother me one way or the other, I use MoMo, but please read what FIA declares as the reason. S A F E T Y

I know what homologation means, however safety equipment has to be certified prior to be submitted for homologation. If you research carefully you can find it in the homologation procedures of safety equipment.

I dont know what bribe you are refering to. Frankly I don't care.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
68 Posts
>FIA bulletin says clearly SAFETY REASONS, so it doesn't seem
>like a paperwork SNAFU. I know that they have a new seat
>shell manufacturer (strange but true, they don't mold their
>shells anymore, they outsource it to someone I know very
>well). Now if there is an inconsistency in molding or
>material etc with the involvement of the new supplier, FIA's
>decision would make sense.

So this applies to newer seats made by Corbeau, or back to production starting when? And is there anything other than the document posted, perhaps with some more in-depth explanation, about why the FIA has removed their approval? And has anyone had any real-world safety issues(breakage/deformation/etc) with their Corbeau seats? I'm curious because I own 2 sets of Corbeau Forzas, so I would like to know what I'm dealing with here.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
I had Forzas in Rocky the past 3 years & liked them alot. They were an inexpensive alternative that got the job done. Handled our roll at LSPR 03 very well.

Ed Maklenburg told me (when doing the first annual inspection) that he didnt trust them and had a "bad experience" with them, but would not elaborate. Other than that (and the FIA pulling homolgation), I have heard nothing bad.

I am buying Sparco Circuit's or Motordrive Pro2's for the new car, primarily for the head restraints.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts