Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the entry fee's for STPR? Good lord!

I love this sport but come on! You expect people to dish out this much plus fuel room and board and win nothing?

Who is running the ship here?

The grassroots of this sport have been killed RIP.........

Early
Registration
Fees
By 5/21/08
5 PM EDT Late
Registration
Fees
By 6/2/08
5 PM EDT At-event
Registration
Fees
6/4/08 & 6/5/08
only
Both regional rallies $850 $954 $1159
Sherwood Forest Rally ONLY
(Coefficient 2 regional rally) $464 $490 $850
Finger Lakes Rally ONLY
(Coefficient 3 regional rally) $567 $593 $747
STPR national ONLY $1133 $1648 $2266
STPR national & both regionals $1339 $1957 $2575

Extra Service Vehicle $50
Practice Stage
$50
One-pass Reconnaissance Lap $100 per car, cash or check,
to the Competitor Registrar only
Fee for service vehicles
over 24 feet in length $250 payable at registration

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Has anyone seen the entry fee's for STPR? Good lord!

Who is running the ship here?
Finger Lakes STPR® Motorsports, LLC- SCCA hangers-on-to-rally trying to make $.

And if you're lucky, they won't cancel stages for ridiculous reasons like last year. Really, don't know why people keep entering except for those running the entire RA championship or the X-Games hopers and dreamers. A great event if you like sitting around a town green or extended services with a little racing.

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
Likely the early entry fees are not too much out of line. The late entry fees seem high. Dare I say a blatent cash grab? The fees for the one lap reconnasance favour the sponsored teams but normal "earth people" may have to think twice. I'm sure the organizers have a reason they feel justifies this but the rates appear usurious to an outsider. $250 for an oversized vehicle? Unless there is paved, power supplied parking this is nothing more than extortion.
Perhaps the organizers want to ensure a low entry since that makes the event easier to manage.
I'm wondering if Rally America, while only the sanctioning body, might have some input.
The rally is a great event, The traditional roads are among the best I've seen, and Wellsboro is a perfect host town.
Dare we say it could be the Ferrari of Rally? How many of us can afford a Ferrari, regardless of its desireability?
My thoughts only, but I'd welcome agreement or disagreement from stakeholders wishing to share an opinion.
Cheers,
Peter

·
150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust
1,042 Posts
Sounds like a good way to kill an event to me.....BIG BUCKS:confused:
But, I'm sure there is a 50% cash payback, right...:(

Bill Holmes
Truck #44

·
L5 Lg > 4 into Broken
561 Posts
$250 for an oversized vehicle? Unless there is paved, power supplied parking this is nothing more than extortion.
This actually is grounded in reality and makes total sence to me.

i crewed there last year and at the airport there is adecent amount of space, but we were still allocated two parking spaces of area. srtusa had probably 15-20 spaces with two service vehicles, the parts truck, an rv and a half dozen other cars. there was room there. at the second service area it is a teared grass lot where anything that doesn't fitin a spot needs to go sideways, so they get a ton more space. at the bottom there is larger areas but there are only a few. so, yeah, if you want to bring a huge caravan with you then the $250 seems ok to me sce your getting 5 times morespace then therest of the field.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Finger Lakes STPR® Motorsports, LLC- SCCA hangers-on-to-rally trying to make $.
Damn those organizers trying to make every buck they can so they can jet off to Monaco with the profits.

Or maybe a group trying to break even because of the high expenses of putting on a major rally.

And a double damn to them for trying to charge the big teams that can afford it a lot more money for extra service trucks, the motor home, the spa, etc.

And another black mark for them charging for recce when every one knows that recce is the only reason a back marker can't beat Travis. I mean how could recce possibly cost the organizer any money at all. All recce requires is a completely seperat route book, extra volunteers, extra printing, more security, extra road use fee. I mean, how could these things add up?

Come on guys. The organizers know what an event costs them and they are not ever going to earn lots of money putting on events.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Sounds like a good way to kill an event to me.....BIG BUCKS:confused:
But, I'm sure there is a 50% cash payback, right...:(

Bill Holmes
Truck #44
Of course there would be. If the entry fees were raised 100%. Alas Bill, I am sure that is what it costs to put on the event. Until a big sponsor with bottomless pockets shows up, the entrants are going to have to bear the costs. Now since tobacco companies can't advertise on TV any more, maybe they would want to sponsor rally.

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
Until a big sponsor with bottomless pockets shows up, the entrants are going to have to bear the costs.
Has that ever happened in the last 30+ years of usa rally?
Seems that as long as I've been involved everyone just talks about how the "next big thing" is right around the corner.

·
We're In It 2 Finish!!
538 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh....

Armchair Organizing at its best....

Volunteer to work on the organizing committee and see what it takes and what it costs. People don't just show up on Friday and say 3-2-1-GO. The magic rally fairies don't pay the fees and the insurance. Oh, and don't forget that this isn't the Exxon Rally. Organizers do not control fuel costs.

Yes it's pricey, but most things in life that I love are. Then I have the free choice to enter or not...

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try" - Yoda

I'll let you know if recce, my extra service vehicle and the awesome rally experience were worth the investment next week... right after I get back from racing and having a ball no matter what happens... but you feel free to keep preaching the downfalls of rally events. I'm living my dreams while I can, not talking and complaining about why I won't.

Jim

·
Registered
372 Posts
Enough !

Crapping on the STPR organizers seems to be a big time sport for a lot of people. There reaches a point where surely enough is enough.

Yes - there were screw ups last year - I for one wasn't very happy when the one stage was cancelled because some of the front runners hadn't mounted their lights. The organizers admitted their errors and hopefully the same breakdowns won't happen again.

I also can't afford to pay $ 2,200 for a national entry fee. Our team often doesn't know for sure that we are able to actually go until a day or two before - that's not great but that is mainly my problem. My option is to enter early and then withdraw if it doesn't come together. Then I would have been paying $ 1,100 - which is still alot of money for a totally unsponsored team but not $ 2,200.

In terms of this entry fee structure, are the STPR people totally out of line ?
Not on a comparative basis to other RA events - the STPR national rate structure is exactly the same as the one at Sno*Drift this year.

Peter Watt is correct that the $ 1,100 is right in the range with other RA events - Sno*Drift - $ 1,100, Oregon - $ 1,250, Maine - $ 1,000. If you want cheaper entry fees, as Dave Shindle correctly regularly points out - come to Canada - they are going up too but are still less.

I night add that I have found in the last three years that the current organizing team have gone out of their ways to be helpful to our team.

In terms of no payback, check your facts - in the past at least, this is one event where cheques have been written to top finishers by the Citizen's and Northern Bank.

I know that this is Special Stage and massive crapping on people is to be expected - performed in many cases by uninformed people - as witnessed by some of the real facts above not considered.

Give the organizers a break - the fact that any event is actually going to take place this weekend is the result of their efforts in the face of all sorts of adversity. Reading the constant often uninformed crap is a horrible payback for their efforts regardless of whether they are imperfect or not.

Good luck to everyone there this weekend.

Jim Stevens

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
Damn those organizers trying to make every buck they can so they can jet off to Monaco with the profits.

Or maybe a group trying to break even because of the high expenses of putting on a major rally.

And a double damn to them for trying to charge the big teams that can afford it a lot more money for extra service trucks, the motor home, the spa, etc.

And another black mark for them charging for recce when every one knows that recce is the only reason a back marker can't beat Travis. I mean how could recce possibly cost the organizer any money at all. All recce requires is a completely seperat route book, extra volunteers, extra printing, more security, extra road use fee. I mean, how could these things add up?

Come on guys. The organizers know what an event costs them and they are not ever going to earn lots of money putting on events.
Well written. And shame on the competitors who do not enter. The race could be breaking even right now, and that next competitors money have been the prize fund, or free swag for the workers, or a free hamburger at the end of stage 7.

Now if the race was guaranteed 84 entries instead of 42, would the entry fee remain $1,100, or would it drop to $550?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gosh, having attended a meeting last night where there were a few of the people who are doing some of the heavy work for this event, I can tell you I was astounded by the Bentleys, Rolexs, and other bling-bling I saw. The organizers must be just raking it in!

OK, OK, maybe not, but the chicken wings were pretty good though.

Gee, I know I go home with a new set of Louis Vuitton luggage every year just for working. Maybe that's where all the money goes. Insurance, travel costs, clean up, use fees & permits, etc. probably had nothing to do with it.

And aren't a good portion of those high costs late fees? It's been held during the same weekend the past 20+ years I've been there.

This is not a cheap sport and everybody is feeling the pinch everywhere.

As for the reasons that things went bad last year, I worked at one STPR last year and have a pretty good idea of what happened, but which event was it where there was only one drunk, that parts were canceled to benefit only one or two teams, and that the co-driver got eaten by a bear after the car went off, and so on? I mean, I was only there working, saw things first hand, and was also monitoring several different radio conversations at the same time, so I tend think I can safely weed out a few of the opinions and rumors, but there are undoubtedly some who think they have more reliable sources.

And I'll bet there is someone who'd want to volunteer to chair it for next year and do it so that no one has a gripe and it comes in under budget. Someone? Ferris? Ferris? Someone?

Remind me again, why do so few people work so hard to put on this event and still have to put up with so much? Each event is different, and I am already gearing up for next year, so come on and help put this thing on so I can get an inside expert opinion and review of what is right or wrong with STPR 2008.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Anyone who thinks rally organizers invest their resources for reasons other than an overarching passion for the sport are just wrong.

·
hillbilly
161 Posts
sotra relevant..i organised/chaired one of the NEHA hillclimbs. mind you a hillclimb is easy to setup compared to stage rally ( only 1 location for example) well, i only spent about 30 hours on the telephone, ran around like a madman for the entire weekend, and i made about $250....wait, i mean it only COST me and extra $250 out of pocket i made 1 run that weekend, but it was all worth it as the event went on.
no one on the organising side of things gets rich doing this. hell if they get a kickback-more power to them! they DESERVE that trip to the steak house for all the thankless hard work over the course of the year.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Bill-

Have you ever worked on an organizing committee?

Walk a mile in the other guy's shoes.....

Say what you will.....but, that is way too much money folks:)

Bill Holmes
Truck #44
press on,

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Say what you will.....but, that is way too much money folks:)

Bill Holmes
Truck #44
[FONT=&quot]As competitors we have the luxury of both assigning the variables that help us choose which events we run -and- adjust the value we assign to those variables from year to year. I don't think organizers have that luxury, especially if they care to see their event continue into the future.[/FONT]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Personally I don't think the entry fees are out of line with the exception of the onsite entry fees which might be a bit much.

From what I know, no one is making money on this, break even at best and you know if they did make a little bit, good on em. Also if they did turn a dime I'd suspect it would go back into the event.

·
pressing on tirelessly
2,225 Posts
I too think the fees are in line with other Nationals. The late entry fees do seem exhorbitant, but I understand why - it takes cash to put on an event, and you need it well before the last minute. The big late fees are likely there to really really REALLY encourage people to enter in a timely fashion.

About the only one I really have an issue with is the recce fee. That seems ridiculously high.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts