Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Achievement Unlocked!
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

As you can see, when you get to the top of a long mountain ridge - it's easy for 5W APRS packets to be heard. A temp digi located between service and the mountains would help a lot more of these packets get back to service and get on an iGate.

For some reason, none of our packets (KI6IUC-9) got out of service or the highway north. This is interesting as I have a permanent antenna in my rallycar with a more permanent radio and tracker. Meanwhile I literally threw a TrackerBox in Georges rallycar with a mag mount and used Icom radio, (with the coax exposed slightly on the connector!) and he had the best coverage all weekend. Something to look into...

All complaints aside - as I said before, this is the best native APRS coverage of any rally in the West. My crew had some issues getting the laptop powered up and receiving packets. I hope to get the CRS setup with a permanent APRS tracking computer in the scoring van. This will alleviate crews having to take their own separate setup.

Here is the callsign APRS traffic I knew about.
Any others - please post!

Car #16 Marciniak & Marciniak KI6IUC-9
Car #8 Doganis & Smith KI6IUC-15
Sweep - Brent Ellzey KE7JGM-9
Radio / Sweep / EMT - Tom Hobbs AE6SH
Timing and Scoring - The Millar's K6MZ

One of George's packets was recorded at 97MPH!

- Kris

·
Registered
240 Posts
Funny thing was - It was on a part of the road we transit.... ;) ;)
That is absolutely not true. The only places we went that fast is Witty Tom North on Saturday and on the Perkinsview downhill straight(Saturday again). The fact that APRS is inaccurate enough to show wrong location, and have people draw the wrong conclusions based on that, shows the negative side of having others tracking a rally car' s progress.

George

·
Registered
263 Posts
Funny thing was - It was on a part of the road we transit.... ;) ;)
George is very careful to not speed during transits so obviously Kris is kidding.......

Is it possible to get a finer resolution with APRS? It looks to me that the packets are too far apart to get an accurate idea of whats really going on during a stage or transit unless the car is stopped.

·
pressing on tirelessly
2,225 Posts
The packet Kris is referring to came in the middle of Witty Tom South on the fast section (at 1:30pm Saturday), so it's entirely possible you hit 97mph there. It certainly was NOT on a transit. Kris was joking.

Yes, it's possible to get finer resolution with APRS, but that means more packets, and that means more network traffic.

It looks like all the packets from the event were coming in from one of three digipeaters: one south of Prescott, one on top of the mountains just south of Jerome, and one up in Flagstaff.

·
R3- into ! L3><
230 Posts
It looks like all the packets from the event were coming in from one of three digipeaters: one south of Prescott, one on top of the mountains just south of Jerome, and one up in Flagstaff.
That'd be the UNION, MINGUS, & W7MOT-8 digipeaters. Yeah, there's definitely good coverage in the county...does look like we could use an addition up in the Paulden to Ash Fork area. I thought about running my D-710A in sweep as a TEMP fill-in digipeater, but decided I needed to read the manual further. ;) Maybe we can work that out next year.

Surprisingly, a couple of my packets were caught by the BLAKE digipeater (N of I-40/AZ-93) while I was up on First View: yeah, that's nearly 100-miles away as the crow flies! :eek:

Brent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts