Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
1979 Italian One Make Series

Haven't heard anything about the 2004 series. However....

Tonight I saw "A Tale of Two Rallies" (taped last night from Speed TV.) The two were San Remo and RAC, 1979.

It was the first time I ever saw a Lancia Stratos--man, what a beautiful, agressive looking beast! Wow!

Interestingly, the San Remo coverage, which was less than 15 minutes worth, still mentioned a single-make club event as part of the WRC round and gave them a bit of TV exposure! They even used the words "club" and "rally" together (if I recall correctly).

In contract, I was watching the Rim coverage from 1998 (on ESPN2 that year) and some overall National class winners didn't get recognized. I'm happy that this year the program editors and writers at Speed are able to be broader in their coverage of the different cars and classes.

Hmmm, part of this may seem like a hijacked thread, but in truth it's just a long-winded comment about the Italian one-make series featured from the 1979 San Remo Rally.

Your mileage may vary.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John at WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
RE: 1979 Italian One Make Series

>In contract, I was watching the Rim coverage from 1998 (on
>ESPN2 that year) and some overall National class winners
>didn't get recognized. I'm happy that this year the program
>editors and writers at Speed are able to be broader in their
>coverage of the different cars and classes.
>

John:

Interesting. I was watching 2001 coverage of WW and Prescott yesterday (along with San Remo 2001) which is all on the same tape. Saw a lot of privateers getting coverage, including yourself. Certainly more than the 2003 coverage (but this may be because it was a Hyundai TV show, and not a Mitsu/Suba/AFR show . . . and it was pre Mitsu/AFR involvement).

I've got a bunch of tapes from the mid-late 90s when the coverage was on ESPN2. Since I was (and still am) a VW nut, I really liked the fact that they showed the 2wd classes. This was back in the Henry Joy/Carl Merril days when Vermont Sportscar was there on the coverage.

They may have not recognized national class winners, but they gave great exposure to the privateers. Just an observation.

Oh yeah, and the San Remo coverage had a bit on the Super 1600s, from which Seb Loeb had just come. Interesting, in that coverage as well was mention of Francois Duval.

Rally on.

Wilson

*Edited to add reference to Super 1600 Championship

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
>
>Any announcements? Is there anything to announce?
>
>Thanks,
>Skye

According to Doug Robinson, the proposed/discussed one make series that involved Mitsu is dead. There may be something else down the road but there is nothing in the works as of now.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts