Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got a copy, well worth watching. The rally sprint is good, Buffum against Hynonen complete with a bright yellow blazered Brian Williams giving the commentary for CBC saturday sports.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Lot's of footage of Randy Black in the 510 (..or was it a newer model by then?) chasing down Taisto and others. I think there's footage from roads now ised at Baie des Chaleurs, at least all that red mud and a few of the corners looked familiar. Could it be from the Lobster Rally..?

Hey Martin,

Isn't this the video that Ted watches before every rally for "inspiriation"?

Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great to see it's availble! I noticed that it lists the Rallysprint as 1982, in fact it was in 1979 held in Heidelberg Ontario, just north of Kitchener

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bill

Yep, that's the one.

BTW, the rallysprint is 79 as Taisto is driving the older Celica and complains about not enough power from the 8 valve to keep up with Buffum's TR8, no such problem with the 16 valve:)

There's a scary moment in the rallysprint as someone, not sure who, gets submerged in a pond, it's a LONG time before the navigator surfaces! Our yellow blazered (CBC uniform of the day?) Brian gets quite concerned.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>There's a scary moment in the rallysprint as someone, not
>sure who, gets submerged in a pond, it's a LONG time before
>the navigator surfaces!

Driver - Les Taylor, navigator - Dennis Wharton.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
163 Posts
Doug, Les Taylor's co driver was Ken Humpfrey, not Dennis Wharton. The water that they went into was where gravel was washed and strained, so it wasn't the nicest place to be. Strange thing was that after about three hours after being under water; the windshield wipers and turn signals were still working on Les's car.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Doug, Les Taylor's co driver was Ken Humpfrey, not Dennis
>Wharton.

Tom:

I knew Les was the driver. Dennis was a guess. Did he not navigate for Les at some time?

Doug Woods

P.S. Nice to have spectated with you at Defi. See you at Tall Pines. Not sure how much spectating I will be able to do, as I am a Steward on the rally. Dennis is the Chief Steward.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Andew

If it is the one I am thinking of (called the "Rallymaster" ) it was a production done by the CBC at the 1982 Lobster Rally but the show has an infussion of European footage with Ranu Altinen, Timo Salonen and Pentti.
In that show they also explain several rally driving techniques demonstrated by those drivers.
They also show Randy Black, Buffum, Taisto, etc. I don't remember seen anyone going into a pond so maybe this is another show.

Anyhow, Andrew next time you are in Calgary if you like you can see it, I actualy have a VHS copy (not a good one, it is a second generation)
It is a very well done production considering it was done about 20 years ago.
I often use some clips from that show at my Rally Driving School.

Cheers
Jorge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts