Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Tulsan and former rallyist, Jim Doidge (you old timers will recall that name), was kind enough to call me this morning and share his surprise at walking out of the Opryland Hotel in Nashville to see a parking lot full of sports cars brandishing Gumball 3000 Rally stickers. I'd never heard of the event but did find http://www.gumball3000.com on the web. It seems they've run this thing in Europe a couple of times and are doing a cross-country gig here now. Dallas is the next stop.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Reminds me of the "Cannonball".
Wonder if Burt is driving this one... :+
Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
265 Posts
OK Kids, some history.

The original "Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash" was a highly illegal cross country race organized by Car and Driver magazine's Brock Yates in the early 1970s. It was a thumb-to-the-nose at the Nixon "National Mandatory Speed Limit" of 55 mph. The object was to go from the Red Ball Garage in New York City to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA in the least amount of time.

Someone decided to make a movie about it... The Gumball Rally with Michael Sarazin. It remains the best of the cross country rally movies as there were a few incedents (very few) based on the real event.

A couple of years later, Hal Needham and Burt Reynolds tossed "Cannonball" at us. It sucked by comaparison. Brock Yates was listed as screenwriter, but his screenplay was reduced to about 2% of the original.

David Carradine also made a couple of cross-country rally movies, the best of which was "Death Race 2000" which co-starred some unknown weasel named Stallone.

There was also a real "Four Ball Rally" from Boston to San Diego in the late 1970s.

Every now and then someone organizes another cross-country event, some at legal speeds, some not. This must be one of those.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
cannonball run / rally folks at One Lap

The original cannonball run wasn't all bad....the guy who thinks he's Roger Moore, a role played well by Roger Moore, a cameo by Peter Fonda as a biker? Cannonball run 2 made the first one look like "Citizen Kane".

Several rallyists will be competing in Brock Yates' One Lap of America next week, including myself, Jeff Denmeade, and Ben Greisler. Last year, Scott Carlborn was doing the scoring and John Davis was Riding with Yates to every event.

www.onelapofamerica.com

I must be old, Jim Doidge once let me use his garage to work on my 510.

·
Registered
768 Posts
- West end finish was at the "Portofino's Italian Restaurant", Hermosa Beach, where Route 66 ends (I think).
- Queen mary wan't parked yet at the Long Beach habour.
- The first race was won no other than Dan Gurney (Yates navigating) in a Ferrari Daytona V12
- I bought two later Canonball Mitsubishi Starions from the movie stunt man. One had periscope (!) and all kind of electrical crap inside. Neither one had an engine mounted but 3 came with the deal, they were towed during filming - I was told. After I sold them both were built into rally cars in California and at leat one is still alive. Both had less than 50 miles on the clock...
- SO, something good has come out of junk movies!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If DKNY Jeans is involved (MINI rear bumper) I don't think that I want to know about it.

I bought a Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea jacket patch from Yates in 1972 to support the rally (I was too young to compete) and I have it to this day. The best account of the rally that I read at the time was in Sport Illustrated (!) in which they documented the stories of the various teams. For example, a father and son team drove from California to New York in an AMX, took the start of the rally and then went straight to a motel where they got some sleep. Upon awakening, they jumped in the car and drove non-stop back to California. Finished well up in the standings as I recall.

·
Registered
23 Posts
>Every now and then someone organizes another cross-country
>event, some at legal speeds, some not. This must be one of
>those.

There have been rumours that a certain NEDiv rally team has done similar jaunts cross country and back. From what I have heard, times to LA and back have been on par with a three day weekend.

Not once did they have a "conversation" with law enforcement.

-Ray

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you ever get to go Up-State New York go and see Canonball, etc racing stuff on display at Yates'"Canonball Pub", Wyoming, NY. I went last year; Cool place, lots of interesting history, good food and it's middle in nowhere!
(Flashback: What happens when speedo needle goes over the last digit? In my case 85MPH - GEO Metro rental.
- I studied this situation for 15+ miles and nothing bad happened. The needle just stopped at 85 didn't move even the car still gained velocity, specially going downhill.
- See what a visit to Brock Yates Pub makes you to do...)

·
Registered
115 Posts
i first heard of the rally last year, and did some online research. they raced from london to st. petersburg and then back to london in a big loop avoiding traveling through most countries twice. lots of ferrari's, mercedes, etc. the m-tv show "jackass" did it in a jaguar with four people and recorded the whole thing . i saw who won in 2000 and it was some computer wiz named kim something, i dont remember exactly. but i found a whole bunch of stuff on him, reminded me a lot of subie gal but more time and more money(just jokes) same kind of web site. definatly would be cool to do in say, oh i dont know, john lanes car, some lazy boy seats and a stereo.

noah

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I saw that MTV special. Great stuff! I also just downloaded it on KazaA. It's pretty funny, they do it in a mini van and a Jaguar, and the mini van purposely drives with the Ferrari's and stuff. They also have "Americanman" who runs around in American underwear acting patriotic and doing wrestling moves on locals. When they were stuck on the border of Latvia, the Russian speaking guy they had told the Latvian kid to kick the cameraman in the balls for $20. It was pretty funny. You have to see it :)

Thanks,
Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.