Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from Jayski.com (a NASCAR rumor site) and the listed news article. Anyone know anything about it??

>The first was at Pocono Raceway. Cops know it happened yesterday >during a race at the super-speedway in Long Pond. The coroner tells >Newswatch 16 that a driver from Massachusetts was killed during >the 'Sports Club of America Tri-Region Nationals'. Pocono Raceway >in Monroe County is best known for hosting popular Winston Cup >events. Sunday's deadly crash happened during a road rally race. No >word on the name of the driver killed at Pocono.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of the Flagging workers who was at the event at Pocono posted on the Wheel 2 Wheel email list. The driver was named Bob Goldfarb, as I recall from New England region. He was driving a T1 class car at a National Club Race and slid into a corner station. Nothing else has been posted yet.

Holly Remington

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is very sad...my prayors are out to his family and friends.

Does anyone know what the "road rally" portion means, or is it just the result of an un-informed journalist?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Does anyone know what the "road rally" portion means, or is
>it just the result of an un-informed journalist?

When SCCA runs at Pocono, they use one of several road course configurations, not the tri-oval. The journalist is trying (rather unsuccessfully) to tell us the event had right turns as well as left...clearly outside his experience.

BW

·
Registered
590 Posts
Pocono has been very dangerous for a long time.

Back in my days of racing bikes, I also had a friend killed there in probably the worst wreck I have ever seen. Andre Matterson was killed and about 9 others seriously injured when an engine blew and oiled the track coming onto the back stretch. About 10 or 12 bikes crashed before everyone got slowed down. Unfortunately not everyone walked away.

Two left in life flight helicopters and one in a box. WERA has not raced there since citing serious safety deficiencies. Current Honda factory rider Nicky Hayden was one of the ones who survived, but when I got to the scene (was working corners that day) his bike was the first that I came upon and it was destroyed and covered in blood. It was a very black day for all involved.

My own personal experience is that it is like racing motocross on pavement (from a 2-wheeled perspective) and I don't miss that place at all. It may be better in a car, but if it is the same as it was in 1993, I'll pass.

Yes, the incident I describe was due to an engine explosion and subsequent oiling of the track, but it exposed some underlying safety issued (to me, anyway) and I won't go there again. Too many bad memories of that place.

I *did* like the coed showers though...... (I was younger, thinner and better looking then) :cool:

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
"Pocono has been very dangerous for a long time."

Racing has been very dangerous for a long time. While I have no direct info to challange the statement about Pocono in specific being more dangerous than any other track, having lived 1 hour from the track all my life I am not aware of a plethora of deaths/problems.

·
Registered
590 Posts
True, but my comment about 'motocross on pavement' was meant to imply that the track has been poorly maintained, if at all. Picture rally on asphalt. That is (was???) the surface at Pocono.

It is by far the worst track that I have seen, including Nelson Ledges

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
I'm not sure but I think 6 is the entrance to the infield from the back straight on the latest club race configuration. That would be backwards thru the tunnel turn (from NASCAR) - 1/2 way down the straight and then a turn thru the armco that was just replaced or thereabouts. If I'm right, it is a narrow hole after a pretty fast straight.
The track the way it was run previous was death... but to motors. Little engines going flat down the main into 1, down the back straight and into the tunnel turn without lifting was like a 45 second dyno pull. The shorter way they run now is better on engines but I thought it uninspiring. Tough to make an interesting layout in an oval anywhere you go.
rz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts