Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking for a picture of the Lancia Stratos that Sandro Munari drove in the 1974 Press On Regardless rally. His codriver (as usual) was Mario Manucci. Their car was number 64 and they retired with rear suspension failure. The car should have been painted in the red & white Marlboro livery. It was the only time a works Stratos ever raced in the USA. Any help tracking down a picture would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

John B.

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
I have several copies of the Stratos at both Rideau Lakes and POR. Just got back from Oregon and will try to find my disc tomorrow and e-mail them to you.

David Weiman
[email protected]

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>I have several copies of the Stratos at both Rideau Lakes
>and POR. Just got back from Oregon and will try to find my
>disc tomorrow and e-mail them to you.

Dave:

Forget the e-mail, post them here on the Forum!

Doug Woods

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've posted all my '74 POR pics in my Yahoo pictures place...now if I can just get that link to work...

http://photos.yahoo.com/ka8oqf

Click the 'Cars' folder, then the 'POR 1974' folder.

They're polaroids, the lighting wasn't that great, but they're there...and thanks to Mad Mike }> for scanning them for me.

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
Have sent all pictures to Mad Mike to post on his web page. Sorry, I must be the only one who doesn't know how to insert a picture here. Please send instructions and I wll post a few with the rest availabee from Mike

David Weiman
[email protected]

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
RE: Identify this car

Charlie said

>I've posted all my '74 POR pics in my Yahoo pictures
>place...now if I can just get that link to work...
>
>http://photos.yahoo.com/ka8oqf
>
>Click the 'Cars' folder, then the 'POR 1974' folder.
>
>They're polaroids, the lighting wasn't that great, but
>they're there...and thanks to Mad Mike }> for scanning them
>for me.

Can anybody under 50 identify the car shown as Brian Culceth's ride in Charlies pictures?

Doug Woods and Kent Gardam, you guys aren't eligible. I know you both will get this one and you're too old.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

I'm 30, and that looks like a British Colt to me - a Mitsubishi under a different brand label(?)

And is Doug Woods' ride there?

ACP.
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>I'm 30, and that looks like a British Colt to me - a
>Mitsubishi under a different brand label(?)

Andrew:

Not even close. Think 100% British. Hint - only Leyland would try to make a rally car out of this piece of road crap.

>And is Doug Woods' ride there?

No. However, I will e-mail you a photo. I am going to send Mad Mike the same photo to see if he will post it in this thread.

It looks like all of the old farts can't figure out how to post photos and Mike is our main man in this department.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
286 Posts

The car in question even made the event program in a (insert manufacturer's name here...thought I was gonna give it away, didntcha?) advertisement...

·
Registered
14 Posts

That would be an Austin Marina. Mechanically fragile in the extreme and with biodegradable body panels, as I recall.

·
Old Fart
560 Posts

Bingo! We have a winner! The Morris Marina was a factory entry in the 1974 POR (and probably Rideau Lakes)by BMC who was still searching for that elusive british car which would sell like hotcakes in the colonies. They never did catch on that Americans wanted reliable cars that didn't require any maintenance, didn't rust away after the first winter and had adequate heating and cooling systems.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
286 Posts

Either another sterling example of Mike's photographic prowess (which clearly shows why Mike's the driver and Wink's the photojournalist), or my eyes have caught up with my sacroiliac...

Can't tell...who dat?

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>Can't tell...who dat?

Charlie:

If you can't tell, then it must be time for another Photo Quiz.

Hint - read Message #11.

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>Would that be a Toyota Celica? Would Taisto be pedalling it?

Yes, it is a Toyota Celica. Driver, Co-driver, year and event? There are lots of hints in the entire thread.

Doug Woods

1 - 20 of 48 Posts