Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite OLN showed the first of several coming 1 hour shows on this years Dakar. It was one of the sorriest excuses for rally coverage I have seen. Yes, it did cover the US entries better than Speed did in years past but, not in competition but, with snippets of video either prior to the event or head shots at the event. At one point one of the commentators stated that this coverage was going to expose the US to the Dakar and get more people in the US interested NOT.

I spent an entire hour watching and saw one Special, the first 4K Special in Barcelona. They almost spent more time showing the drive on the free and toll roads to Granada.

Yes, an hour show for one four minute Special. More coverage is on tap later this week so watch and see if we can get more coverage than 1 KPH.}(

David Weiman
rallydave at pobox dot com

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Dave - you are too kind, IT WAS AWFUL !!!
- my guess it that some enterprising OLN staff ae writing their own tickets (btw- We love their Tour de France coverage).
I think for a LOT LESS money they could by the Euro-feed and give us quality by knowledgeable reporters.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dave,
I watched it as well. I think that the problem is/was that they were introducing the rally to the OLN crowd, it would be not as interesting to those of us who have followed previous Dakars. It was not focusing on the competition, yet. I think that it was necessary to show the competitors getting to Africa from Barcelona for background. As you know the first stage along the beach is more of a demo stage than anything. I'm giving them some slack for last night's show. Tonight they will show Stage 3, which was the first "real" competitive stage, so we can see what might pass for a more typical show.

The multi-day time delay is disappointing compared to the past Speedvision/Speed Channel shows. Jimmy Roberts is not as enthusiastic or knowledgeable Toby Moody but is satisfactory. The music selection was far inferior to the great theme music that the Speed Channel used.

I am hoping that OLN will realize the value and news worthiness of this product and show current updates next year rather than the multi-day delay that is occuring this year.

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
724 Posts
What was with the bald guy that sounded like he was from jersey? He seemed a little out of place on this broadcast. I personally liked how they mad a point of showing the Americans so that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
At least someone is covering it, but...

The bald guy from Jersey - yeah. "Welcome to the DacCAAA world rally?

World Rally?

I'll go out on a limb and guess they don't have that many cameras either. They showed the same shot of Gordon on the Beach three times, his start twice, and a number of other shots twice. They're really stretching it to make it go an hour.

That said, OLN please keep it. We're starved for Dakar. Just ask us how to make it better...

A.

Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Having read these posts, it makes me glad I cancelled my subscription for two of the movie channels. OLN was one of the programmes included in the package.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Right Side Ballast
775 Posts
I missed the first installment of OLN's coverage but caught Sunday night's program. "Disappointing" is far too mild a term to describe it. I guess I could excuse coverage that isn't satisfying to rally enthusiasts if it did a good job of portraying the race to folks new to the sport, but it didn't even do that.

I'll continue to watch, because it's there, but I expect to continue to be disappointed.

Dick Moser

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
coverage (?)

Once again, I guess that we are not their target market.

Now, who is?

press on,

·
Registered
240 Posts
RE: coverage (?)

Worse still WRC has gone back to the Documentary format of 2001 and prior. Some British woman in monotone? it?s really exciting.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Different strokes

Now, I find this year's WRC MUCH better than last (although they teased us last year and had the world feed for Monte, and then switched after that).

I DETEST listening to Ralph Shaheen. Please keep this feed.

press on,

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
RE: Different strokes

>I DETEST listening to Ralph Shaheen.

I wrote something to that effect a couple of years ago, and everyone jumped all over me. It will be interesting to see if they stomp on you too.... I'll betcha no one will say a word against you.

Ya gotta love it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

>>I DETEST listening to Ralph Shaheen.
>
>
>I wrote something to that effect a couple of years ago, and
>everyone jumped all over me. It will be interesting to see if
>they stomp on you too.... I'll betcha no one will say a word
>against you.
>
>Ya gotta love it.
>
>
>
>
i dont ever remember anyone liking shaheen.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Jens, I didn't know you 2 years ago, but I have to agree that I can't stand listening to Ralph Sheheen

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jimmy Roberts is horrible and the 'pathetic hipster' guy is not much better.

As much as I can't stand Toby Moody doing commentary for motorcycle races, I thought he'd found his niche in the Dakar.

If they do it again next year, hopefully they'll get some different talent to do the commentary because those two idiots have NONE.

Some good camera shots though

Matt
Somewhere north of Seattle
New & Improved GTX for '05

·
Registered
168 Posts
At least it is better than NASCAR testing. Be thankfull of what you get. I do agree the past years coverage was ALOT better, but is better than what SPEEDTV is giving us. I miss SPEEDVISION

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>I miss SPEEDVISION

Me too. They showed all sorts of speed related stuff (airplane racing, lawnmower racing, Legends of Motorsports, etc, etc....).

If you're old enough, do you remember ABC's Wide World of Sports in the 60's and 70's? They used to have all sorts of sports (I liked some, loved some, hated others, but at least there was variety!).

Regarding Dakar:
Yeah, the coverage sucks. The announcer you guys have described as having a New Jersey accent sounds more like a Boston accent to me. I can't stand his style, but it isn't as bad as many of the "tuner" type announcers.

However, this year's Dakar coverage has some interesting aspects that they didn't cover in previous years. The previous show was pretty good, but not great. Most of all I miss the music from the previous shows.

·
Registered
434 Posts
>
The announcer you guys have
>described as having a New Jersey accent sounds more like a
>Boston accent to me. I can't stand his style, but it isn't as
>bad as many of the "tuner" type announcers.
>

That guy is Jerry Bernardo. He has hosted almost all of the off-road (Motocross, Supercross, hillclimb, and Supermoto) motorcycle racing at one point or another. Sometimes funny, usually annoying, but generally seems to know whats going on. He actually just got in trouble for comments he made at an AMA awards presentation which may be why he is hosting this and not other bike stuff. At Dakar he's a bit out of his element, I find it hard to believe they can't find someone more knowledgable to host it.

·
Right Side Ballast
775 Posts
Have to agree with you on that, Jim. And to give OLN some credit, last night's coverage was much better than the first few segments. I have the feeling that they're occasionally hamstrung by lack of real onstage footage, but that didn't seem to be the case last night. Especially knowing some of the things yet to come, I'll keep watching.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts