Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my co-driver and I are looking for a good helmet and the blue peltor pro-carbon helmet looks to be the best and we are looking for the cheapest place to buy it.

So far this website has it for 505 shipped, and they made a deal with me, 2 for $471 (each) shipped : http://www.precision-sports.com/peltor-rally.htm

Only problem is that they only accept check or international money orders, NOT credit cards, so we are a little worried.

Has anyone dealt with this company or think this is a good/bad idea or know where we can get the helmet cheaper?

Thanks, Big John

·
Registered
527 Posts
P-Sport - Peltor Helmets

P-Sport has that same helmet for $460 regular price. Keep in mind, you'll need one of the Peltor intercom systems to make them talk if you don't already have it or TT Pro.

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
RE: Best price for Peltor

If you want Peltor products and don't want to pay an arm and a leg....call Culver at GT Fabrications. He has some in stock I believe and nobody beats his price!

He's got the Blue G77's listed for $435...everyday price! If you bought two he'd probably give you a discount! He's also got intercoms.

Tell him I sent ya!

Andrew Sutherland
UniversalRally.com

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Wow, got more results faster here than the hour(s) I spent researching places with google.

Thanks guys, I think GT Fabrications will get the bid ;)

now whats a cheaper yet good amplifier?

Wait, it says it comes with one:

Includes built in hearing protector cups and communication set (shown in picture).
http://www.gtfabrications.com/peltor/images/peltorg77.jpg

Is this ALL we need?

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts

>now whats a cheaper yet good amplifier?
>
>
>Wait, it says it comes with one:
>
>Includes built in hearing protector cups and communication
>set (shown in picture).
>http://www.gtfabrications.com/peltor/images/peltorg77.jpg
>
>
>
>Is this ALL we need?

I don't think it comes with the intercom...I think he was just displaying the the package as a whole. The intercoms are like $150...but I'm not sure so don't quote me!

GT is moving to a new location over the next couple of days. They are so busy building cars, they ran out of room and got a place twice as big as the old shop! If Culver doesn't respond to an inquiy right away, it's because he's trying to get the move done. I'll talk to him tonight and make sure he knows about your order.

Cheers.........

Andrew Sutherland
UniversalRally.com

·
R5/cr L5 into Helicopter Ride
420 Posts

The "bare-bones" peltor intercom set is the FMT-100. It's pretty inexpensive. Ken and I went with an FMT-110, which is identical, except it has a line-out. Great for mixing in your comm with your in-car camera ;)

I think pricing was like $150 for the FMT-100 and $250 for the FMT-110.

Both the FMT-100 & 110 run off 9v batteries. Some people spend extra money on a voltage adapter and hardwire it, but after running two events (Oregon Trail & Wild West) and we still have plenty of power left, I have to ask "why". the $45 for the adapter buys a LOT of 9v's. I know some enterprising soul could build a 12v->9v step down pretty cheap if they wanted...

Then if you really wanna be pro, get the FMT-200 at like $700 heh, but it has line in and out, communication with a cellular phone or a ham set, all built into it...

Nice stuff! I'd also recommend P-sport or GT Fabrications. I bought my helmet from GT. Ken bought his helmet from P-sport, and we bought the intercom from P-sport also.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

>Then if you really wanna be pro, get the FMT-200 at like
>$700 heh, but it has line in and out, communication with a
>cellular phone or a ham set, all built into it...

The weird thing about the FMT-200 is that when it first came out, it cost like $450, and then about 6 months later, it shot up to $700. And there is no difference in the units at all.

It is, of course, really nice. But unless you're desparate to have your satellite phone and radio wired in, or if you absolutely need separate volume adjustment for the driver and navvie, I don't think it's worth the extra dosh.

YMMV,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
93 Posts

At first, when we got into this, I wanted to buy all the best stuff. Corabla C-Giant, FMT-200, yada yada. But after using the TerraTrip and the Peltor FMT-110, I can't imagine really *needing* the 200. Maybe when money is no object (Like that'll ever happen) ;) Until then, I'd rather spend my money making our car faster, not having fancier volume controls. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

ok i'll hope the helmets coem with the amp as pictured and stated in the description ;)

Otherwise I will built my own stuff, simple things like this I could probably make myself :X

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

>At first, when we got into this, I wanted to buy all the
>best stuff. Corabla C-Giant, FMT-200, yada yada. But after
>using the TerraTrip and the Peltor FMT-110, I can't imagine
>really *needing* the 200.

Peltor 110 vs. Peltor 200. No need to upgrade.

Terrortrip vs. Coralba C-Giant. Ooh, boy, doesn't make much of a difference to the driver I'm sure, but to the navvie...

:D

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
93 Posts

Well explain away :) I'm a newbie. Two events. One without a computer. I ran Route book both times (want to switch to Pace notes obviously, but we're still just a club car). I'd love to hear your thoughts on why I'd need the better stuff.

Thanks btw! I really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I ***strongly*** recommend buying a good peltor intercom. I've witnessed first hand people having intercom problems, and it makes rally really difficult. Chris and I have had nothing but exceptional things to say about the peltor intercom, and many others on this forum have stated the same thing. Bulletproof, flawless simple intercoms that work exactly as avertised.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

Hi Ken,

I'm not saying one _needs_ a Coralba to run rallies, but it does make the co-driver's job easier.

Some of the things it does:

1. Automatically measures stage time, max speed, avg. speed and finishing time of day for special stages.
(This is good when a control worker says "You ran a 10:44." And you point to the Coralba, which is happily displaying 10:24, and say, "No, I could have run a 10:23, 10:24, or 10:25. Definitely not a 10:44." And they say, "Yup, you're right."
2. Can add up times to calculate your in-time.
3. Notes your fuel level, so you can do up-to-the-minute fuel calculations.
4. Can calculate your pilot speed and estimated due time on transits.
5. Automatically calculates the correct factor.
6. Measures in Miles or Miles & Yards
7. Allows you to automatically display both trips and tod or stage time on stage. This is good for the following reason --
when using notes, you'll want trip2 up to show the total distance traveled. But let's say there's an instruction like:

Cr 500 Kinks !!smJmp L4-

If you've got the system displaying in MilYard, Then at the Cr, you can hit the footswitch to reset Trip1, and watch it count up to 500, and thus count your driver down.

If we were running in (kilo)meters, the Terra could do this too, but in miles, you're SOL, unless you can divide by 1760 extremely quickly and reliably...

8. Contains all the information you need to do your job:
Time of Day, SS Time, Fuel, Mileages, etc. etc. etc.

And figuring out how to use it is stone simple.

I'll edit this later (sunday) to give you more info, but this are my quick thoughts. Off to dinner!

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts

>
>Otherwise I will built my own stuff, simple things like this
>I could probably make myself :X

I would highly suggest buying it. It will probably cost you a similar amount of money (and time) sourcing all the connectors and parts you will need. Also, Peltor intercoms are designed to withstand the abuse and vibration that occurs in a rally. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing or have lots of time on your hands, I would just spend the money.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Another option is the Terraphone Professional Plus which is Peltor plug/headset compatible.

We use it and are pretty happy with it.

Glenn

·
Registered
724 Posts

get the FMT 100 the price is right and you will not be dissapointed very reliable and not really expensive.We could argue forever about rally computers I know that many co-drivers swear by this brand or that I think it comes down to what the co-driver feels comfortable with.

·
Registered
926 Posts

I will second that. Whereas the Peltor headsets seem extraordinarily expensive (but good) for what you get, the FMT-100 is a good value. Well engineered, simple to use, bullet proof. My estimate is the parts to replicate something equivilant in terms of quality would run about $40 in quanities to do 1 off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.