Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody still have a copy of it?

If my memory serves, about the only rule that hasn't been passed is requiring the Prod classes to have Fuel cell and Fire system...

I remember how everyone figured her plans were going to kill the sport, but they've crept in one at a time anyway.

I personally think you can't be too safe. Sure, space junk may fall out of the sky and kill you when you go to get your morning newspaper, life is dangerous, but you have to be reasonable too.

More than anything, if the safety of the sport increases, and we have less injury accidents (let alone fatalities), that has to help even have a sport to participate in. Face it, if the Insurance companies pay out too many claims they will just leave. If that happens, don't expect to go racing anytime soon.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Anybody still have a copy of it?

You might ask how many people know who Marge Binks was, or how many were involved in rallying at the time. I remember discussions about the letter, but I don't think I ever saw a copy (I was just a worker/service crew, and only going to occasional SCCA events at the time).

Adrian

·
Registered
789 Posts
I remember the letter. I think it was a reaction to the competitor death at STPR a number of years ago.

The tone of the letter was kind of drastic--trying to bring rally stage routes up to racetrack safety standards besides car spec changes. Items like an ambulance at every corner.

Obviously, the non-competitor deaths at Ski Sawmill had a much bigger impact on the sport.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Trevor said,
>Face it, if the Insurance companies pay out too many claims they
>will just leave.

Or make it cost prohibitive to even obtain insurance. If you haven't already, visit www.realautosport.com and read Conor Twomey's comments about RdP in particular and (obviously) ClubRally in general, "a grassroots rallying event the likes of which we used to enjoy in Ireland before regulations and insurance costs put it out of the reach of the ordinary enthusiast."

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
397 Posts
Where are we now?
How many of us have just failed to fix the car after the last off and have left it to sit? I will get counted in that group.

What we do has to pass the cost/benefit anylisis. Is it still?

What needs to change to get insurance rates to drop?
Building a bubble around the car does not seem to me to be a good option.
Are we such a bigger risk compared with twenty years ago?
Thoughts?

John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Are we such a bigger risk compared with twenty years ago?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes if you look at it in financial liability terms.

Adrian

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anybody here know what the percent rise in medical cost has been over the past twenty years? Seems to go up 10 to 20 percent per year.
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts