Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Someone on Toronto Subaru club posted that it snowed up there on sun, but it has all melted. If anything new gets posted there, I'll put it here too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
you have to bring the hole famely....gravel tire included....

i would not trust those prediction....it give us a good idea...but it can change from +10 to -10 in 12 hours....

even if the prediction were -20 i would still probably bring the gravel tires....just incase it switch to +20....you never know....;-)

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ten-day forecasts are not very useful. I don't know why they bother with them. Even 5 days out is quite iffy. Two days is about the most I'd rely on and with the time taken to trailer your car, your lead is gone. The jetstream can swing north or south in a couple of days and that makes the difference between whether we get Arctic air pulled down from the far north (-10C, snow/ice tires) or a warm Gulf stream from the south (10C, gravel tires).

Glad I already have my snow tires on in preparation for working the Pines next week. Drive in to work today (Waterloo, Ontario) was a real mess and I had nearly bald summer performance tires on before.

Harry

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
Even if it is warm and sunny during the day, there are parts of the roads that get little to no sun. Those roads can keep snow and ice on them for days. If there is 25% or better snow cover on the Egan Creek roads gravel tires will not work as well as snows - we proved that last year :(. It only takes a dusting of snow - just enough to cover the gravel.

Adrian

·
Registered
542 Posts
FRIDAY EVENING FRIDAY OVERNIGHT SATURDAY MORNING SATURDAY AFTERNOON

TEMPERATURE -4°C -9°C -9°C 1°C
CONDITION Mainly clear Clear Sunny Mainly sunny
P.O.P. 0% 0% 0% 0%
FEELS LIKE -9°C -14°C -14°C -
WIND NW 15 km/h NW 10 km/h NW 10 km/h NW 5 km/h
HUMIDITY 63% 86% 85% 33%

We don't expect any precipitation from Friday evening to Saturday evening.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is really interesting right now to compare Environment Canada's predictions to The Weather Networks':

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/pages/CAON0039.htm

Weather network for Friday the 21st: 9 high, 5 low, 40% scatter showers

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?WRK

Environment Canada (where I used to work at both AESHQ and PWC) for Friday the 21st: -2 high, -4 low, sunny

All temps in degrees celcius of course.

They couldn't be much more different and it is just 4 days away. The two models diverge completely on Thursday.

BTW, competed in (Not) The President's Prize Road Rally Saturday night in Peterborough (hour south of Bancroft). Snow and ice on the roads but lots of gravel still visible. That will likely be gone with the predicted rain (both forecast models) tomorrow and Wednesday but could freeze into icy patches by the weekend if you believe Environment Canada or could become muck if you believe The Weather Network.

Harry

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
New Stage Records

Hmmn,
If it doesn't snow and the roads are wicked fast as they were in 2001, imagine how fast we can go with stagenotes. Maybe the turbo restrictors will slow us some compared to years gone by, but....

·
Registered
555 Posts
RE: New Stage Records

I would say they will be at least as fast considering in 2001 there were more MNR roads and less township roads. This year there is more township roads which would be quicker I would think because they are so smooth.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Except that 2001 was a pure gravel rally. Skootemata was Scoot-o-mata!

(34mm restrictors should outweigh pace notes if it's a gravel rally anyway. But I'm not holding me breath for gravel).

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
78 Posts

This is the final report on road conditions - reporting LIVE from the scene..

There has been lots of rain in the last few days, but there has also been lots of wind. Today was clear blue sky and +7C.

The roads are either totally dry or wet with lots of puddles but with the weather they are drying fast.

No snow and no rain in sight.. Bring your gravel tires!!

Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts