Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
We worked a traffic control on stage 3. It was muddy and rained off and on for most of the stage.

One of the most impressive cars to come through was the '69 Datsun 510 which was really winding it out where we were.

·
Registered
555 Posts
looks like it is going off without a hitch, thats great news! I did not attend this year because I was afraid there would be no stages at all! Kudos to the STPR organizers, so far so good!

·
Registered
924 Posts
that'd be Dan Cook in the 510, he can make that car dance nicely! many thanks to Rally America for once again providing excellent and timely updates and pics.
JTree

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Have only seen info that all cars started, any other news?

Ah, if that were true.

One car did not start and I know because I was supposed to be co-driving that car. The driver is a nice guy, so I am not going to embarrass him by mentioning why we didn't start.

Anyway, since we don't get our entry fee back, we at least deserve a DNS in the results :)

alan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok....this is directly from a Rally America posting....

"Reports of a log across the road at 9.6 miles into Special Stage 7 was addressed by the sweep/tracker vehicles and should not be a problem for the re-running of the stage."

....this is not a fallen tree nor one that was knocked down by a rally car....I don't believe things are a pleasant as you would have hoped....someone is not very happy. Sorry.

--tom'as--
AKA - Sancho - KEEPER OF THE AGED ONE & new member of "HALF-ASS" Racing Team

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, but here is the Rally America posting info for further reference...

Sun 08-Jun-03 01:55

--tom'as--
AKA - Sancho - KEEPER OF THE AGED ONE & new member of "HALF-ASS" Racing Team

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
>alan wrote:
>One car did not start and I know because I was supposed to
>be co-driving that car. The driver is a nice guy, so I am
>not going to embarrass him by mentioning why we didn't
>start.

On an unrelated note, it seems that they are
taking the driver's meeting attendance quite
seriously. I'd like to get a sense of what was
said at that driver's meeding.

;)

Anders

·
Registered
186 Posts
RE: Phil and Dallas Smith

Miscommunications on stage notes had me thinking I had "100" after the R5 before the L1....nope. She called it, I just didn't process it. Seeing that I clearly was going to launch off the far end of the hairpin, I stood on the brakes (bad habits learned at the track) and slid into a rather sturdy tree. 40? 45? 50? I'm not sure, but I was in third gear at the time of impact.

Enough that the front of the MG is toast. Front frame rails are pushed up, displacing the driveline rearward about 4 inches, so the rear axle is bent. From the firewall on back, the car looks to be intact, no ripples, no creases, no cracked paint, no popped welds (that I have can see so far). Windscreen and cowl intact. Cage totally unphased. Good, strong car. Obviously I've got to get this mess apart, but at this point I'm hopeful that if I can find a front clip we can get 'er fixed and on the road in time for ....?LSPR. Obviously engine and gearbox need disassembly and inspection to look for thrust surface damage as well.

I had the wind badly knocked out of me and in a panic for air unbuckled and got out despite my back absolutely killing me. She also was suffering pretty significant back pain. We both pretty quickly came to our senses about possible spinal injury and laid down and asked for backboards/braces. They took good care of us and we were both relieved to see XRays of necks/backs with no displacements/fractures. Right now, it's time for lots of Motrin, heating pads, and Percocet at night for a few days....

I'll take this moment to comment on a recurring topic here, since I unfortunately now have first-hand knowledge: helmets and harness mounts. We pull our harnesses down very tight, this was the first event on brand new harnesses, and I have the shoulder belts originating on a bar just behind the seats. We also both wear full face helmets. Inspection of our stuff today shows my steering wheel bent in about 2 inchs at the top and a large crack and scuff on my helmet's chin bar. There is now NOTHING anybody can say to me that would allow me to think that anchoring the shoulder harness further back in the car or wearing an open face helmet makes much sense; it sure looks like I would have been in some oral surgeon's OR last night otherwise.

Dallas and I both greatly appreciate the concern shown by fellow competitors, workers and spectators alike, thank you.

Any word on what happened to Dan/Bill/510? They had their rig next to ours this morning at the PennWells, and that was the first I knew that Historic Class now has been virtually halved.... I heard they were OK, but the car sure was ugly this morning.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok. I was just 2 miles before where you crashed. I heard the call for paramedics over the radio and was worried like hell.

Dan & Bill went off on SS6. Off camber kinda turn that he got on the outside of and couldn't pull out of it and went off and down the hill a little bit. It was a 40' hill, but a tree to the drivers a-pillar stopped them. They're ok. Car is a little bent up. (All this is what I overheard on the phone with Bill (co-driver) this morning.). They put on a show tho. Historic car dominating G2. I wish they would have finished, they would have won the class.

Pete
(pictures from the event will be up in 4 hours after I eat my pizza)

·
Registered
274 Posts
>On an unrelated note, it seems that they are
taking the driver's meeting attendance quite
seriously. I'd like to get a sense of what was
said at that driver's meeding

Too bad no one thinks about safety when they
schedule this crap. 7:30am???

It was obvious we were in for a 17+ hour day
from just the schedule. Many folks ended up with
almost 20+! How is that safe? Were they HOPING
for a repeat of 100aw?

Ed

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
STPR driver's meeting

So why wasn't the driver's meeting held on the green during the Parc Expose? The driver's had to be there for an hour anyway. For that matter, why not just have a supplemental handout at registration that teams had to sign for?
STPR blows.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: STPR driver's meeting

I doubt anyone in the STPR committee wanted that meeting. Information is only official when it's in writing anyway. However, given the situation and the presence of enough yellow shirts to declare Wellsboro the temporary SCCA HQ (could have held a BOD meeting - they had a quorum), said meeting was necessary as a demonstration of the rally community's commitment to safety. It was also necessary to make sure that the non-reading competitors (drivers) were informed.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
RE: STPR driver's meeting

WOW.

Even for Uncle Joe, that is a bit (but ONLY a bit) harsh. Sure hope they don't confuse you and I again.

press on,

> It was also necessary to
>make sure that the non-reading competitors (drivers) were
>informed.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Phil and Dallas - I am glad both of you are okay. It looked like a pretty hard shunt and I was worried about that tree upon first arriving to my worker station there. It is a shame about the car, hope to see it on the stages again.
Jake Rowlands

·
Registered
274 Posts
hehehe But take whats written with a bit of salt.
Some of the updates look to have been bitten with a
bad cut/paste bug:

"Ed Wahl-co driver of Car 573, Wesley/Bohn - G2 - 1995 Dodge Neon reports they keep losing their exhaust. "

I'm sure Rob would hate to get mixed up with me. ;)
Especially when he saw the paycheck.

Ed

1 - 20 of 47 Posts