Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Rumor has it that spectator points will be at...
Friday:
Stage 1 - Mexico Rec (of course)
Stage 2/3 - South Arm
Saturday:
Stage 5/6 - Middle Dam at S5/F6
Stage 7/9 - Near the finish

(These are secret so don't tell anybody!)
JB (OK, the other - other JB, not to be confused with JB)

PS - The best spectator points are reserved for the workers (hint-hint)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, MFR was never known for their best spectator points...and organization.

It looks like there will only few spectator points, so I'm guessing they will be very populated. :(

Also, anyone know the best area to book hotels...because the regular area was moved.

-Mark
MAPmotors.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
>Well, MFR was never known for their best spectator
>points...and organization.
>
The workers have always had the best spectator spots, such as "the crossroads" on Parmacheenee - it will always be one of the outstanding spectating spots in rallying. Unfortunately due to the sale of the timber property, Parmacheenee will likely never run again. I suggest if you want a good spot to spectate, that isn't crowded, you contact Ted Goddard and volunteer as a worker. At most events 20-30% of people who promise to work never show up, so I'm sure there will be a need on either friday or saturday for workers.

>Also, anyone know the best area to book hotels...because the
>regular area was moved.
>

Sunday River Resort or the Bethel Chamber of Commerce would be the best to contact for hotel accomodations.

See you in Maine,
Cat

·
Registered
16 Posts
"South Arm"

Veery Ieeeeenteresting.

Except for one very rough track (much rougher than the link section of Magalloway), most of the roads between South Arm and Rt. 17 are state/county roads. I've always thought the South Arm Road itself would make for an interesting tarmac stage. It's quite twisty in places, but it also has a lot of camps and houses on it, so closure would be a PITA.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
>
>-Mark
>MAPmotors.com

Mark,
I'm surprised at the critical tone of your response!
MFR is a smaller event than many others on the tour. It has fewer (though perhaps finer) stages/miles and tends to draw a smaller crowd, probably in part due to it's rural location. Just for comparison I took a look at the STPR web site; spectators are told that maps will be available at registration - nothing of value for spectators to use for their scheduling. As far as the number of spectator points keep in mind that the event only has 9 stages and most of the spectating can be done at the same points as the stage reverses.
For hotels I'd look in the Bethel area.
Hope to see you there!
JimB

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>>Well, MFR was never known for their best spectator
>>points...and organization.
>>
>>-Mark
>>MAPmotors.com
>
>Mark,
> I'm surprised at the critical tone of your response!
> MFR is a smaller event than many others on the tour. It
>has fewer (though perhaps finer) stages/miles and tends to
>draw a smaller crowd, probably in part due to it's rural
>location. Just for comparison I took a look at the STPR web
>site; spectators are told that maps will be available at
>registration - nothing of value for spectators to use for
>their scheduling. As far as the number of spectator points
>keep in mind that the event only has 9 stages and most of the
>spectating can be done at the same points as the stage
>reverses.
> For hotels I'd look in the Bethel area.
> Hope to see you there!
>JimB
>
>

The organizers at MFR publicly take a rather laid back approach to their event. "We always have a good time." is the motto, and everyone I know has just that. But...under the surface they are just like the proverbial duck - paddling like h. The rally itself invariably runs smoothly, a remarkable thing given the small size of the core organizing group. This year, in particular, has presented challenges that would have caused cancellation elsewhere. The committee is to be applauded for their determination.

Specific spectating areas are rarely publicized prior to rally weekend for what should be obvious reasons. We do not publish in advance for Sno*Drift, nor, to my knowledge, do Oregon, RIM, STPR, Ojibwe, or any other events. Go knowing that there will be spectating, and pick up your packet at HQ, just like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Specific spectating areas are rarely publicized prior to rally
>weekend for what should be obvious reasons. We do not publish
>in advance for Sno*Drift, nor, to my knowledge, do Oregon,
>RIM, STPR, Ojibwe, or any other events. Go knowing that there
>will be spectating, and pick up your packet at HQ, just like
>everyone else.

One of the reasons is that we typically publish spectator information with the help of sponsors. We NEED to get that information into your hands, so you can see the ads and hopefully spend a few bucks with the sponsors. Please?

Bruce
erstwhile organizer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>
>-Mark
>MAPmotors.com

I meant sarcastically. :p
Well, I guess I just was really bumed out, due to that one spectator point where they all cramed us in a tight area, and really no good view.

Anyways, hope to see everyone there...with my new 350d! :7

-Mark
MAPmotors.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
>The organizers at MFR publicly take a rather laid back
>approach to their event. "We always have a good time." is the
>motto, and everyone I know has just that. But...under the
>surface they are just like the proverbial duck - paddling like
>h. The rally itself invariably runs smoothly, a remarkable
>thing given the small size of the core organizing group.

Very, very rarely does a stage at Maine forest rally start more then 5 minutes behind time. Almost all the stages start on time and any delay is not taken lightly.

Which brings up a Grimshaw story. The last Maine Forest rally Tom worked he was assigned to be my designated 'co-driver' for setting up the east-side parmacheenee stages on saturday, JB was setting up the west side. As we came down the last section of stage we passed a group of workers who were waiting for JB to come by and take them to their designated spots. JB was driving his red 4000 audi quattro, I was driving a green jetta and for whatever reason the workers decided to follow Tom and myself down the stage instead of waiting for JB. As it was one of those hot, dusty Maine rallies that took ages for the dust to settle after a car went by we hadn't a clue all of John's workers were now following us into Oquossoc. As we pulled into the parking lot in Oquossoc a MTC/radio worker ran up to our car shouting something about 'stolen' workers, the stage delayed and JB heading our way really, really P******. A quick look in our rearview mirrors showed 5 worker cars pulling into the parking lot behind us and how they confused a red audi for a green jetta will remain a mystery but it was obvious the fault was going to be ours. We got out of the jetta and Tom looked up and gave me a sideways grin as JB's Audi slid to a stop next to us - not to worry Tom said, he's just blowing off steam and I'll take care of it. Tom slouching, reached into his pocket for cigarettes and lit up as John started yelling - when John stopped Tom looked up at the red audi and then looked over at the green jetta, then gave me a very studied look - taking in red hair in a pony tail, glasses and other attributes and took a drag on his cigarette as he took a long look at John.

"Yeh, he said, I can see how people could easily confuse the two of you."

Dead silence for a moment while John made an effort to keep glaring at us - and failed. He shook his head, gathered up the workers and headed back up onto the stage leaving Tom grinning and once again the Master of a conversation stopping one-liner.

We shall miss him dearly.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you don't like heat and humidity make sure you check with the hotel/motel if they have air conditioning. Not all of them have A/C, and it can get muggy up there.

760 Posts
>>Specific spectating areas are rarely publicized prior to
>rally
>>weekend for what should be obvious reasons. We do not
>publish
>>in advance for Sno*Drift, nor, to my knowledge, do Oregon,
>>RIM, STPR, Ojibwe, or any other events. Go knowing that
>there
>>will be spectating, and pick up your packet at HQ, just like
>>everyone else.
>
>One of the reasons is that we typically publish spectator
>information with the help of sponsors. We NEED to get that
>information into your hands, so you can see the ads and
>hopefully spend a few bucks with the sponsors. Please?
>
>Bruce
>erstwhile organizer

I very much agree with this sentiment. We always publish Spectator
and Course Maps as well as Spectator Guide two months before the
event. We want spectators and we need them there. This sport needs
publicity and resulting sponsorships. We have suffered from the lack
of both for much too long.

Ivan Orisek
International Rally New York
Rally New York
Rally New York Rallysprints
Rally New York Rallycross Series

·
Registered
11 Posts
can someone elaborate on the spectating? I am a little confused because you mention South Arm as a point but having camped at south arm for about 20 years im not sure where the stage would be coming through that you would be able to spectate from the campground?

As someone mentioned the road to the campground would be nice for a tarmac stage but as far as I know it is not being used and the only other road leading to the campground is the dirt one that winds around the east side of the lower richardson. The stage I believe you would be spectating for however from south arm is supposed to go to middle dam which is on the opposite side of the lower richardson so I guess I dont get where the stages actually go.

Also, where is the rally based? Lots of mention of sunday river/bethel area but it goes to middle dam and mexico? thats all over the place moreso than in the past isnt it?

Would be helpful if they had a map of the stages (like I think they did 2 years ago) so ppl could plan on where the best place to stay is for which night so they can anticipate how far they would need ot drive to spectate for a given day's stages.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>can someone elaborate on the spectating? I am a little
>confused because you mention South Arm as a point but having
> ......
>did 2 years ago) so ppl could plan on where the best
>place to stay is for which night so they can anticipate how
>far they would need ot drive to spectate for a given day's
>stages.

It is based at Sunday River in Bethel and around the town of Bethel. Mexico is where stage 1 is. Concord Pond (just up the road from SS1) is running twice from what I hear. On Saturday, Magalloway is being run like usual. The new stages have not been shown yet. They usually have maps (or that 1 really big poster map) in the conference room at registration on Thurs & Fri at Sunday River. It shows very clearly where each stage is. My guess from reading the Maine site is that the Saturday stages are run off of Rt.26 towards the NH side, possibly close to Errol?

Disclaimer: These are all guesses. Work the event and you won't have to worry about spectator areas!

Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
>Work the event and you won't have to worry about spectator areas!
>
>Pete

I would love to, but for the 2nd year in a row this thurs-sat schedule means i will only be able to make it for the final day of the rally. I imagine working for the first time you would want the first day to find out what is gonig on, what you are doing, where you are doing it etc...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts