Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything from the CARS Annual Meeting? Who's the new Prez; How did the By-law presentation go; Any news on Sponsorship? Just waiting in Calgary for the group to arrive home and start drying out their clothes!

·
Registered
510 Posts
AGM was really good. A lot less fireworks than I expected, given last year's AGM.

The new President is now Paul Westwick. Ken Kwong is taking over as President of RPM. CARS Vice-President is Eric Tremblay.

The Bylaw changes #2,3,4 were passed, #1 was defeated and #5 was withdrawn prior to discussion.

No big news on sponsorship yet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's hard to imagine CARS with anyone but Terry Epp at the helm. Was this a coup or did Terry and Linda decide to retire? The latter I hope. Our sport was lucky to have Terry Epp. His contribution cannot be quantified. Would rallying even exist in Canada without him? Paul Westwick is an excellent choice as President. He knows, better than most, the extra large size of those shoes he has to fill.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If Terry would resign in 2003, I am sure the rally in Canada could be seen in different look right now...and you know that very well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
aafce (Jerry Maslanka ) wrote:
>If Terry would resign in 2003, I am sure the rally in Canada
>could be seen in different look right now...and you know that
>very well.

If Terry had resigned in 2003 (or 2001, or whenever) rally would be different. That's obvious! Tery has done a lot for the sport.

What's not 'obvious' is what that different look that you talk of would have been.

I don't know what you are saying when you say "you know that very well". Could you explain further?

Regards,

Frank de Kat

·
Registered
730 Posts
>... Was this a coup or did Terry and Linda decide to
>retire? The latter I hope. ...

Definitely the latter. Terry has spoken for some time about the need for a succession plan, and the basic reality that no-one lives forever. I am very pleased that he has agreed to stay on as series manager.

Similarly, we have talked for quite some time about the need for CARS to have an office that isn't a volunteer's basement - not for the purpose of getting rid of Linda, but because she made it clear that she didn't want to do it forever, and because it's a logical next step in the evolution of the sport. For 2006, Linda is staying on as license registrar.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats Paul!
I know its a big responsibility for you but I know you will help the sport. Its been very good having Terry and Linda at the helm for so many years. They have an unquestioned dedication to the sport.

Mark

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Lots of great things happened at the AGM, including good discussions with the production company that will be filming the 2006 season, and the discussion of a lot of useful ideas about how we can enhance the position of competitors with regard to sponsorship and information flow.

I am currently the interm representative for Canadian-licenced competitors, attempting to fill the large shoes of Jon Nichols for the next few months until we can have an election for a permanent representative. We will be developing the competitors' group over the next weeks to improve communication and work on some great initiatives.

As the competitors' rep at this AGM I was included in all the Board meetings both before and after the AGM, and I can tell you that the Epps and all the Board members work extremely hard to do the best they can for rallying in Canada. Linda and Terry have devoted a large part of their lives to enhance this sport, and they will still be heavily involved even if their roles may change. Thanks and congratulations to both of them.

Thanks to his own intimate involvement in the sport and CARS for many years, Paul Westwick has already hit the ground running and I'm sure will be great. His replacement as Director for British Columbia is Ken Kwong, and he's off to an impressive start.

In summary, I think that in terms of CARS organization, communication between interested parties, and good prospects for competitors we are moving in a really positive direction. Stay tuned.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suggest we bombard the Epp's with "Thank You" cards, not e-mail, and they will have something 'concrete' to re-enforce to them how much we appreciate their contributions to the rally community in Canada.
On a side-light, how does this sport attract so many people with 'big feet'? Is it something about the walking in mud and dust? Terry has 'big feet'; Paul has 'big feet'; Jon Nichols has 'big feet'. What could it be?
Nice to see that Jerry has resurfaced. How about an acronym for AAFC?

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Paul as president, Eric Tremblay (the man behind the Quebec sponsorship and TV deals) as VP and Ken Kwong (the driving force behind the PFR TV deal and BC's strong sponsor support) on the board ... a 5 year TV deal for the CRC... the next few years should be interesting to say the least!

Terry and Linda certainly are owed a huge debt for their commitment and passion over the years, and no one should confuse my enthusiasm over the new 'team' as being a condemnation of the Epps in any way.
They have directed CARS through soem stressfull times, and have often been the focus of people venting their frustrations, anger and personal agendas. Many thanks are owed, adn I am glad to hear we'll still be seeing them around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts