Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I saw a post somewhere that John Nagel was very ill. Just wondering how he is doing....

·
Registered
10 Posts
We see John on a somewhat regular basis. He lost a leg just below the knee almost two years ago.

I usually find him in good spirits and the rally world is still one of his primary interests. The subject of another WRC event remains in our conversations and has become the focus for a new group, the Evergreen Rally Group. John is very instrumental in giving information from the "good old days," when we worked with him, as well as providing insight into some of the existing avenues today.

I will give him regards when we visit him this weekend.

Ken

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. It is good to hear he is doing well.

Please pass along my best regards to him when you next see him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to hear he is up and around.
Please give him a big hello from the silver grey fox,
ken white.
I really enjoyed his rallies.

·
Registered
768 Posts
...same here!

- Get well to bring The Big Show back!

PS. Every summer I go to WRC Finland organizers are still asking about John! They had great time running timing and course for John, trip sponsored by FINLANDIA Vodka!!, and would like to lend helping hand again is asked...

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>A while back I saw a post somewhere that John Nagel was very
>ill. Just wondering how he is doing....

I just got a phone call that John passed away this past Friday, December 17.

My thoughts are with his family and his many rally friends, and I think a lot of the good times with people at Rallyweek Northwest and the Olympus Rally.

Ben

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stopped by to visit with John yesterday. I met his brother, Jim, and he told me of John's death. Jim commented that there were still family members who had not yet heard of John's passing.

Until all of those issues can be addressed, arrangements can not be made. Jim was not sure when an annoncement of services would be made. I will maintain my contact with Jim and as details become available, I will endeavor to post pertinent information.

For those of us who knew John, it will be a tragic loss. While not in the loftiest of accomodations, his focus remained on the world of rallying. We continued to evaluate the options regarding WRC potential here in the US and in particular, the Northwest. He was an inspiration, and we at the Evergreen Rally Group will miss him deeply.

·
Registered
768 Posts
...very sad news...he's larger than life figure in the US rallying

- I only have wonderful memories from all rallies organized by Johgn and his pro crew
- He always did something exciting to us rallyists, like Seattle Underground Tour, Rodeo Arena cowboy barbeque, lavist parties at Wyerhouse head quarters and so on. All free.
- I'll miss him
http://www.topi.us/images/1-Rally-JohnNagel-Olympus'82.jpg

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is sad news. I have not been in touch with John in a while, but I had a bad "vibe" a few days ago. That was why I posted my inquiry about him.

Rest in peace, John.

John and I spent some time communicating by e-mail and phone, but I never had the privilege to meet him in person. If people have photos of him please post them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just talked with John's brother and final family notification has taken place.

As it now stands, there will be some type of memorial gathering in January. Possibly the week of the 10th.

Again, as I receive information, I'll pass it along.

Ken

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just spoke with Claudia Chittim, who's in Illinois with one of her daughters. She said John passed quietly on Friday afternoon with a heart attack. As one of his Canadian friends, John will be sincerely missed by the Rallying community of North America and throughout the world. His love for Rallying, despite the problems with SCCA and all, will never be touched. We've lost a giant in our sport, as big and important as any Driver will ever be. After all, he Drove Rallyweek Northwest and the Toyota Olympus. Rest easy, old friend. You won't have to worry about dust again!:-(

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
My sincerest condolences to the family. Heard nothing but good about this great gentleman. Truly a great loss to all. Rest in peace.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Godspeed John.

In the early 70's I met John hanging out at the MORE Opel group. In those days a group of us drove our rally cars daily. I would occasionally see John on the other side of the freeway in his RX2/3 rally car, He would always wave and honk.

When I look back Rallyweek and Olympus always stand out. They were always fun well organised events. Not just the WRC's.

Condolences to his family. We'll miss you.

Dick Fuhrman

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I cried after my last chat over IM with John a few months ago. He clearly wasn't his old self, and it brought back stinging memories of my father's condition before he died.

There is one word that describes John: passion. He had an enormous passion for rallying, for putting on a big show.

I know some harsh words had been said against him in recent years, but people who achieve big things always start with big dreams, and that was John.

I'm not sure he recognized me 100% when I saw him at WW2003, but it was good to see him out and about.

RIP John. :'(

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
GodSpeed John

Thank you John for all you did for rallying in the NorthWest, and in the US. It was awesome to be competing in an FIA event along with people we had only read about (no interent or Speed channel in those days).

John always had another plan cooking, and he certainly made things happen.

press on big guy,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts