Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any idea on making our rally car, Toyota Prius nosier.

Jerry

Ability Rally Racing

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cowbell?

We can try this on Rocky Mountain Rally and try on grizzlies..:)

But seriously I am looking for idea in order to let spectators know that we are coming.

Jerry

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Jerry:

Back in the mid 1960s, Timo Makinen had a siren fitted to his works Austin Healey 3000 on the RAC Rally to warn spectators of his imminent arrival.

This might be just what you need. It has rallying provenance and you could use all of that regenerated electrical power to operate it.

Doug Woods

P.S. Nice meeting you at Perce Neige.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try a Hiemholtz Resonator. A length of pipe tuned to a resonant frequency tee'd into the exaust pipe. similar to blowing across the top of a jug. Diameter of pipe and length determine freqency. Haven't ever played with it for that purpose, but it should amplify exaust pulses at the desired frequency. The math is simple, and you should be able to find all kinds of info on the web.

My question would be whether the exaust note would be 1 frequency with increasing amplitude, or if you would hear increasing frequecies related to increased rpm's over the resonant note. The tuned note should not change frequency, just amplitude, unless of course the length gives 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or even 1/16 octave wave lengths (frequencies) of the tuned wave length of the resonant pipe. Those fundametal notes will not likely be at the same amplitude of the tuned frequency. Hell it sounds like fun to try. I wonder if my wife would notice the difference on her Impreza?

Fashion a temporary attachment to the end of the exaust pipe to try the principle.

Troy Peterson
If you can't take the speed
Stay out of the Justy

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
An "Awhooga" horn.

Wilson

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
RE: any idea on making the rally car noiser in da U.P.

Get rid of that hybrid powerplant and throw in my buddies rebuilt 305 (from his Monte SS that's up on blocks in L'anse) with 2 inch-duals* and glass packs, eh**. Then you can rev it up and practically hear the torque. POW, SNAPPP, SNAPP POW, SNAP SNAP***.

* In the P the expression "2 inch-duals" is as endeared as "buck camp", "swampers" and "pasties" and when it hits the ears of a yooper it starts a warm tingly sensation in the heart, skipping the brain entirely, in an atypical function of the nervous system. Unfortunately it doesn't translate as easy as other terms in the U.P. lexicon and is the source of much confusion. You see, "2 inch-duals" doesn't mean two-2"-dual-exhaust-pipes, it means two-1"-exhaust-pipes, thus the hyphenation.

** any conversation about loud vehicles requires at least one yooper to legitimize the discussion as a true symposium on "gettin' more torque outta dat shortblock wit da right pipes"

*** To hear this sound just drive to any bowling alley or the town of Ironwood or Negaunee on Saturday night and roll down your window.

signed:
the proudest yooper out there

·
Registered
10 Posts

Pard says that 2 inch duals would do the trick, but he sureshell wouldn't take it out of no monte.

personally, I would keep that sweet little hybrid just the way it is. I mean, you aren't the first one on the road, correct? People should just have enough sense to keep a keen eye if they are going to be moving during the stage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You need to slide over to the Model T forum ( http://www.mtfca.com/discus/ ) and do a search for 'aeromore'. Actually, it's 'Aermore', I think, but it refers to those Model T exhaust whistles that sound like a train or a steam calliope. You could probably figure how to build and tune a 4-tuber...now if you can just play tunes on it...:7

·
Registered
38 Posts
get a BIG Sony Xplod woofer, a 2k watt amp, mount it in the trunk with a continuous CD playing the sound of a Lancia Stratos. You've got the generator to power it, just crank it up!

Plus, the Prius will sound like it's suddenly got a 2.4l Ferrari V6.

"Racing is life...
All else is just waiting."
-Steve McQueen

"Our Car is F***ed"
-Team Skoda co-driver Tina Turner

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

I think Pard has been sucking a little too much exhaust pipe ever since he started working at Jimmer's Exhaust Unplugging on the nightshift.

I hear he hacked the cat off a Geo the other day and threw up some 2 inch-duals. I wonder which pipe got the one cylinder and which got two. I'll have to go drive around with my window down this Saturday night and listen to 'er.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A giant speaker on the roof, like in "The Blues Brothers",
blasting "The Ride of the Valkeries". Mostly so you can
see people's faces as that little snuff box rolls by...

pt-

·
Registered
946 Posts
>
>A giant speaker on the roof, like in "The Blues Brothers",
>blasting "The Ride of the Valkeries". Mostly so you can
>see people's faces as that little snuff box rolls by...
>
>pt-

I've considered that myself... Same song too.

Why couldn't the muffler be taken off, and replaced with equivalent piping? It would still probably pass the sound test.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are you trying to avoid changes to the exhaust in order to emphasize the quietness of the car's operation? I'm thinking that a non engine-related sound would be useful - perhaps a rally whistle or party whizzer in the intake, cowbells, air horn, or other noisemaker somehow signaling every so often.

Make sure that your co-driver has a foot button for a horn and have them honk before every spectator point. Spectators cheer for honking quite a bit.

Or, if you want to increase the engine sounds, don't forget that the intake can be noisy too - open it up with a straight intake (no silencers) and a cone filter. If you break down and alter the exhaust, you could try converting part of it to straight pipes (but not all of it)- replace a resonator or muffler to make it louder but not rally car loud.

If you can get an engineer to help, you might also wire a speaker to the electric motor (probably not directly, but perhaps with an inductance pickup, high isolation amplifier or the right resistors). Maybe have a wheel speed sensor sending to the speaker instead (for that bicycle spoke effect).

Or, the ride of the valkyries thing. That would be sweet. I'd vote for that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts