Special Stage Forums banner

Any idea on making the rally car noise?

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Lancia037Rally 
#1 ·
I am looking for any idea on making our rally car Toyota Prius nosier.

Jerry

Ability Rally Racing

#2 ·
Loudspeakers on the roof playing "Ride of the Valkyries"! God, I love the smell of electrolyte in the morning.

Seriously, congratulations on finishing a tough rally with a new car, new team, new manufacturer and so on. Well done.

Can't think of noise generator (pardon the pun). Deer whistles detuned to spectator frequencies? Playing cards in the spokes of the wheels?

Maybe just a set of Fiamm airhorns and a footswitch for the codriver.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

#3 ·
It was suggested that Prius was too quiet and may raise spectator safety problems. Codriving it this weekend I did notice surprised spectators and several whom seemed to not even recognize the car had gone by. Stealthy.

I think a siren would be best but would also be open to an Uuggahh horn, fog horn, or antilag and blowoff valve sounds played through speakers mounted to the outside of the car.

Deer whistles do not work, even for deer.

#14 ·
>Yeah, those K&N air filters for fuel injected cars (cone
>shape) make a noise, pretty loud sometimes. If you are in
>production, it should be legal.

He has to use the stock airbox, so a K&N cone is not production legal.

Without doing exhaust work, the best thing would seem to be some form of horn or siren.

Adrian

#15 ·
RE: Subject closed

Thank you for all the respond.

It is sad that some of you taking the advantage and disrespect origin of my Nationality. I am Polish as well as Canadian. I put a lot?s work into this project and looking forward anybody to challenge my work and the car.

Prius is not just the P2 car. You may talk to Maciej or Dave Shindle how challanging Saturday Rally was for Prius and team. I am proud of myself and all people who agree to support this project.

Prius is not a junk rally car preperad on parts find on car junkyard. This car is well prepared, built and supported by sponsors that are involved in Rally for many years. Prius in Latin means ?ahead of time? and I am sure that technology will allow one day to see this car to be a part of the N4 class.

I am going to ask the moderator close subject on my original post.

Jerry Maslanka
Ability Rally Racing

#17 ·
The question is both serious and fun. I am curious what sort of sound you are looking for. A more performance type of sound, or something that is unique to the car? Now knowing that you can't really alter the exaust, and possibly the intake, the remaining option is a noise generator of some type. I'm guessing that you want a sound that is not going to bring ridicule to your car, team or sponsors.

Maybe you should get an idea of what sound you would like. Personally I think it is a great chance to make your car sound unique, and identifiable. A selling point for your car and a great way to get attention for your team and sponsors.

Maybe you could find a way to amplify the sound of the generator or electric motor. Bring the focus to the fact your car is an electric hybrid. Ask the maufacturer what kind of noise supression they had to use to take all of the motor and generator noise out of the electrical system. See if that could be a unique source of noise for your purpose. Sound altering circuits are so cheap anymore that you could about tailor the sound to any type you want. A simple amplifier and an all weather external speaker that is appropriate to the frequency range and amplitude you are after will work well for this application.

Troy Peterson
If you can't take the speed
Stay out of the Justy

#18 ·
I am not looking for any ?uniqueness? . This issue comes from discussion with some best Canadian marshals at Maniwaki Rally. We laugh but also were thinking what can be done. Normally this should not be issue but I agree that some spectactors with no experience may be surprise by Prius coming.

I brought this issue not to make jokes but try to find opinion others. Safety should always be the most important issue for rallies events and should not be place for jokes.

Jerry

#19 ·
Jerry;

Had you stated up front why you wanted to do this, you might have got a few more serious responses. All you did is ask how to make the car noisier - not why, or what limitations you had. Perhaps you should have put one post in Car Construction instead of the two in the USA and Canada forums.

It is a serious issue, but I can't see an easy solution other than the ones that have already been suggested (well, the serious ones anyway :)).

Adrian

#21 ·
i remember when i was a kid and was riding a bike i wanted to pretend it was a motorcycle
and i attached a piece of wood to the front fork so it would touch wheel spokes
and with the bike running it was making funny noise
that was a simple and cheap way to do it
just a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.