Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reskinning the Volvo to make my '82 look like a '93, call it a Malik-esque make-over. Rather than have it look like a patch-work quilt with black left front fender, mint green right front fender, silver hood, and faded burgundy everywhere else, I've decided to paint the thing. I CANNOT justify spending more than a couple hundred bucks on a paint job that my novice driving will destroy.

So, I'm considering a Maaco paint job. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations/thoughts on their product? Also, any recommendations for colors to stay away from? I've considered the paint job that would make it look like an ebonite bowling ball but I have no idea where/who/what/how it is done (if you spend any time in fairly large cities I'm sure you've seen one of them, I think the process involves spraying a silver base, spraying a candy-apple coat over the silver, then rollering it with a roller wrapped with wrinkcled Saranwrap followed up with a coat of clear, believe it or not). Anyway, I'd like to stay away from white as it's very boring, I don't much care for red, blue is good (especially with yellow striping), and black is a possibility.

Also, before I get the thing painted, I'd like to have some louvres added to the hood to let out some of the heat, it messes with the carbs something awful! I've seen some nice ones on street rods, they look much better than holes with a hole saw, but I have no contacts. Ideas?

Thoughts? Thanks!

George Thompson
1982 Volvo 242 Performance Rally Toy

·
Registered
935 Posts
It may be different around you, but here Maaco is really only good at simple colours, they seem to get very confused and spray more expensive paints very poorly. Black would be nice. Also, if you want any sort of respectable finish, consider leveling, priming, and masking the car yourself, then just deliver that to Maaco and have them shoot the colour. People have actually gotten good looks from Maaco if they do that.

But who cares about appearence. Like you said, you're just going to run into stuff anyways....i say get whatever they will do for the least amount of $$$

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing all of the prep work myself to try to keep the price down. There is minor surface rust repair that I need to take care of and a couple of dents that I'll fix. Unfortunately the closest one is 65 miles away so I'll have to do most of the taping after I get there (I suspect the wind during towing will tear most of the paper and tape away). I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out when I can get it done, that'll set my timeline.

Color-wise, I'm having a difficult time deciding. Blue and yellow would be good since it's a Swedish car and primary colors are easiest to match down the road. Black would be good except that it makes for a very hot ride. Maybe I will go for white simply because I can put any kind of vinyl graphics on it later. Too many decisions...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, June 15th is my first event for the year so time is running short.

George Thompson
1982 Volvo 242 Performance Rally Toy

·
Registered
583 Posts
George,

I've used Maaco & they can do a good servicable job. They are inexpensive, so don't look for show quality. You can expect a few minor runs and maybe some dust particles. But your looking for a fast, inexpensive utility job....right? For a rally car you won't be disappointed.

Staying with the same color as your existing "door jambs" will give you the highest quality result at the lowest price. This usually means staying with your existing base color. You can always dress things up later with well done accent stripes, graphics and rally stickers. :+

Good luck and post a photo for us when your done!

Rich Smith

·
Registered
483 Posts
THe comment about doing the prep work yourself is good advice. My experience with maaco is that they do almost no prep work, and the quality of the job will reflect that. prep it yourself, and you should end up with a very workable "rally" quality paint job (should be well within the 40/40 rule).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had Maaco paint a Scirocco about 3 years back. I did the prep, drove the car to their shop, popped the windows out in the parking lot and picked it up two days later.

The paint had no runs, no dust particles, no overspray. They even sprayed the lower rocker panels with the textured rubber stuff.

No bad for $250

·
Registered
630 Posts
If your going to go to the trouble of prepping and masking, I'd get a $30 paint gun, a $20 gallon of single stage paint and shoot it myself. for $50 you can honestly claim "...and I did all the work myself too, even the paint."

·
Registered
442 Posts
I want to paint my black honda a darker blue or yellow and I was thinking of macco cause its cheap and I dont care to much. Will they do whatever priming is needed to get that yellow paint on there or should I do that myself?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts