Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
From www.guideauto.com/forum/

Sylvain Ericson would have had engine problems in the second stage. One of his mechanics posted this:
mauvaise nouvelle pour tous nos supporteurs, moteur saute 2 ieme special on decent a Calgary aux petites heures pour des pieces pour reparer, je vous donne des nouvelles aussitot que l'on en sait plus. De l'equipe Erickson.

Free transalation: Bad news for all our supporters, the engine blew during the second stage. We're heading to Calagary for some parts for fixing it. I'll give you more news when I'll know more.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
From a brief message from Keith .... but he didn't say who was leading ;-)

The weather is coolish, Ericksons blew their motor up yesterday, the mini went off and toasted the suspension, eric and leanne did a similar thing but seem to be still able to continue, Martin Burnley had an off, causing cosmetic damage to the drivers side of the car.

other than that ... it's a rally ;-)

Rocky Mountain Rally
http://www.rockymountainrally.com
Calgary, Alberta
May 23-24, 2003

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, looks like a good fight at the top at least! any other times? Too bad about ericsons motor, Can he even ever buy luck???

keep the news coming!

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
RE: Any Big horn news? ** Attrition **

News from the stages -
Still 2 stages to go (I think)

Out!

Pat Richard - Flat tire damaged wiring harness, car quit
Ross Foster - Rolled
Peter Reilly - Mechanical
Chad Manley - Rolled
Andy Normey - Rolled
Adam Scrivens - Engine
Lestage - Turbo
Erickson - Engine

Standings - from spectators, so accuracy may be suspect.

McGeer
Comrie-Picard (very close)
Komorowski
Trinder
Zimmer
Olsen
Ogrocki
Machnik

More as we get it ;-)

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>News from the stages -
>
>More as we get it ;-)

Shawn:

Thanks for posting the information. It is somewhat discouraging to access the rally website and find nothing.

What are your plans for Rocky in terms of posting results as the event takes place?

Doug Woods

·
Registered
497 Posts

This is Chad's brother Jordan. Any idea what happened to him and Blake?

Thanks

Jordan

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

>>News from the stages -

>
>What are your plans for Rocky in terms of posting results as
>the event takes place?
>
>Doug Woods

Hi Doug,

We have some plans. Globalstar is providing some satellite phones to post and access results from the middle of no-where. Theoretically, we will have results and stories on the website and in the spectator areas.

Cross your fingers - there is lots of technology - just need people who know how to run it ;-)

Shawn

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got news from our other crew members (ACP) that McGeer has won... and ACP finished 2nd... I don't get any other info...

Robin

·
Registered
35 Posts

Guys- The oranizers out here are doing the best they can with the people they they have, and priority #1 is to put on the rally. This they've done and done well.

I'm sure that they'll have the results up soon. If they had had more workers they would have been in the stages.

I'm sure if someone wants to come out here next year for the sole job of doing web updates they'll be happy to let you do that.

But from my perspective as car 13 service crew the organizers did a wonderfull job. And they're getting paid how much to do it?

·
Registered
199 Posts

DC rally team crashed 10 feet away from me, I missed it with my camera though. I dont think it was the crash that took them out, but on the Deer Hill spectator point, they went right into the outside bank HARD. but kept going. Some kid got a side marker as a gift from DC rally team:eek:

·
Registered
803 Posts

just to be accurate we didnt geta flat the tread delaminated at about 190km/h.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

>Ross Foster - Rolled

Ah, but that was only a small part of our weekend.

SS2 - With 6km to go, we had a brand new Michelin M5 delaminate on us. Drove out on the tire and still almost caught the car in front of us. Did lots of cosmetic damage to the car and left the rear bumper cover on the stage.

SS3 - About half way through the stage, we had a trailing arm fail at the ring that goes around the bushing on the upright. Finished the stage and, thanks to stellar work from a guy from the Subaru Canada rally team (I presume one of Pat's guys), we were able to continue. He went so very far out of his way to help us that I just couldn't believe it.

SS4 - At around 3.5km into the stage, we went into a long uphill right that tightened and got caught out by getting onto the crown of the road. We slid sideways through the ditch when something caught and the car went over and stayed over. We got out to warn folks because it looked like it was hard to see the car between the shade, dust and the blind corner. Sweep and spectators pushed us back over and we got back into it. The most damage was lots of cracks in the windscreen at the top.

The delay between the previous car and us caused a couple issues down the road. First, some spectators had gotten a little close to the road at a point where the car got a little tail happy and if Ross hadn't managed to save it ... The next one was even worse. A sponsor van was on the stage road, heading against rally traffic. And we were at full speed for the turn when we saw them. Luckily we saw them and no one stepped out from behind the van. Someone needs to remind folks that the stage is HOT until the sweep vehicle passes.

SS5 - This stage was at night and, despite a two-minute dust window, we were catching the dust of the car in front of us. Coming off of a straight into a medium left at speed, we didn't see the turn and went way off the road, up an embankment. We were going fast when we hit the bank. The sudden stop hurt a lot more than the rollover did.

When we pulled into service, we had so many people helping us repair to try and keep us in the rally that it was simply amazing. I don't know who everyone was or where to start with thanks, but thanks to all of you, whoever you were.

Ross looked over the stage time and noted that if we had had a competitive stage time on SS4 instead of rolling, we would have been around 6th overall. Instead we were second to last. Ross decided to cut his losses and not risk further damage to the car to fight at the end of the field and withdrew.

In addition to the thanks noted above, I also thank the organizers. They put on a great event up there and I strongly encourage any US competitor reading this to make the trip up next year.

alan perry

·
Registered
213 Posts

Okay, National Results are up on the Bighorn Rally site. Click Reload to see 2003 results.

Sorry to all the people who feel we should provide the same level of service as the Quebec Rally. However, they have an army of hundreds, and sponsors with the equipment to provide the live updates.

Out here, we are a committee of 8 (yes, that's not a typo, we are 8 people) who put on the Bighorn Rally. If you would like to come out here and create an army of hundreds and bring the equipment and sponsors to provide the live updates for everyone, we would love it.

Until then, you'll just have to wait till the next day when we get home (the rally is 2 hours away from our homes) to see results.

Dave Sharp
On behalf of a very dedicated, passionate, overworked, underpaid, completely exhausted Bighorn Rally Committee

1 - 20 of 31 Posts