Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far...I found out I need my birth certificate and SCCA license. Your route books are in kilometers, and you use the appropriately named Canadian timing system (which I am familiar with). Are there any little differentiations from the SCCA rules that I should know about? Or about running in Canada in general?

Also, I remember back @ Maine 2000 when McGeer was being protested for having his hood up in a contol that apparently he simply forgot because it's something allowed in Canada? Was this a rumor or is this true? Are you allowed to open the hood inside a control in Canada?

I'm getting excited for my first trip north of the border!

Thanks,
Alex

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Yeah, if you are flying there, make it very clear at Passport Control that you are involved in an amateur sport. Last year, I had to wait in a long queue and talk to an immigrations agent for some time because the Passport Control agent decided that I actually made a living co-driving.

I envy all of you guys that get to run Tall Pines this year.

alan

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Alex- I spoke w/ your driver on Sunday and advised (yeah, like that'll help- talking to a DRIVER).
No real worries at all - timing is smooth,workers are great.
At service you check OUT -then get fuel as part of your transit time,(you can stay in the car, w/ belts off and dorrs open).

Arrival time at an ATC is from the START time of the prior stage (not the finish time as in US). Start time + bogey (or your time if you are over bogey) + tranisit = arrival .

Lateness is 10sec per min (at all CDN events - gee, whata novel idea).
Klicks are Cool (if you are not running notes then call Matt down in 100's (not the usual 10's) - why? because there are! 300 IS 300 (meters) - just be sure you square that w/Matt before hand!!!

Adrian W. will "check my math" an can advise more
Alex - Did you do your homework? (I know the answer to this).
e-mail me at [email protected] .

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Yeah, the beer is much better in Canada. Oh...wait...that may not be the right advice for Alex...

Kent Gardam

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>Klicks are Cool (if you are not running notes then call Matt
>down in 100's (not the usual 10's) - why? because there are!

Even if you are running notes, you can count down long straights, say 400; eg R6/Cr 400 R3 could be read as
"R6/Cr 400 R3... R3 in 300, 200, 100 R3"

Check with your driver if he wants this. Also, if you run a Coralba, you might just have figured out why you might want to run Mil.Yard setting on Special Stages in the US.

Regards,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Alex-
I "assume" that you have a CARS rule book. Read very carefully the section about when you are due at the next ATC. This has caught some US competitors out. Read it, then memorize it.

It is not Canadian, but you need to figure out how to keep Matt under control. <only sort of tongue in cheek>

Only answer the questions that customs asks you. DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANY INFO! You don't have a permit to carry, do you?

have fun - see you there (I am working the event).

press on,

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
> Only answer the questions that customs asks you. DO NOT
>VOLUNTEER ANY INFO! You don't have a permit to carry, do
>you?

I'm not planning any trips up north in the near future, but my "carry permit" sits in my wallet with my license. Why is that a problem if one isn't "packin' heat"?

·
Registered
27 Posts
>> Only answer the questions that customs asks you. DO NOT
>>VOLUNTEER ANY INFO! You don't have a permit to carry, do
>>you?
>
>
>I'm not planning any trips up north in the near future, but
>my "carry permit" sits in my wallet with my license. Why is
>that a problem if one isn't "packin' heat"?

They might label you one of Heston's deciples and decide to hold you for observation. If they put a gun on the table and walk out, don't touch it, it's a trap! :)

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
It isn't a "problem".

But it does seem that you get invited inside to have a much longer discussion, MUCH longer. Occurs on BOTH sides of the border.

And this has been happening since before September 11, or Ashcroft, or ...

>
>I'm not planning any trips up north in the near future, but
>my "carry permit" sits in my wallet with my license. Why is
>that a problem if one isn't "packin' heat"?

press on,

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm...I feel stupid...I can't believe I didn't notice until now that the rulebook is on the website...yeah...I shall print out the important stuff and do a thorough reading on my 9 hour trip up...along with my english book and term paper book...hmmm...wait, i guess i should start now :)

I did Sandhills 2004 under NASA which claimed to use the Canadian timing system for the event...which was exactly how Jeffy described...but I'll read it to make sure anyway...

Christian:

Matt has a Brantz...which is new to me (yeah..need to read the manual for that too...) and I haven't had the chance to try a Coralba. Anyway, it shouldn't make a difference, it's metric so the tenths on the computer are hundreds of meters...but I didn't think of that, thanks.

Thanks,
Alex "physics class made me realize how much the imperial system is crap" Kihurani

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>I can't believe I didn't notice until
>now that the rulebook is on the website...

Alex, actually only the portions of the rulebook dealing with car safety prep and entries and competitor licensing and such are on the website. The important parts for a navvie are in the printed version. Mine came in the mail today (thanks Linda!) so I'm spending the evening reading it. There are some subtle differences from SCCA procedures (as pointed out by Adrian, Jeffy, Alan, etc.) but by and large the game is played the same way. I'd suggest that if you or Matt don't have one before the rally, you should probably see Linda Epp at the event and get one ($15 Cdn).

Kent Gardam

·
www.rallyanarchy.com
143 Posts
Alex--

You'll be fine. You might have trouble getting a rulebook, CARS was out last year when I tried to get one for Tall Pines, but everybody was super...it was my first (and only, so far) event, and I had no serious difficulties.

If _I_ didn't have any troubles co-driving, you'll be more than all set. When in doubt, just reference the North American rally information god, Adrian Wintle. At least, that's what I did, definitely one of the best guys out there! Thanks, Adrian! :)

Just watch some out for a few of those jumps... }>

--Andrew Steere

1 - 17 of 17 Posts