Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;)

Which tires will be best for Sno*Drift ?
(assuming we have "regular" conditions - 6-8" of hard packed
ice/snow, sunny mornings, cold clear evenings)

What if it is snowing heavily ?

Hakkas ? Qs ? 2s ?

Blizzaks ?

Or ?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've always been partial to Hakkas. Which tire is best is often not known until the day of the rally. Conditions can change very rapidly. Dave Parps [email protected] handles Hakkas & can help. I guarantee that any Canadians who monitor this forum can give good advice.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>;)
>
>Which tires will be best for Sno*Drift ?
>(assuming we have "regular" conditions - 6-8" of hard packed
> ice/snow, sunny mornings, cold clear evenings)
>
>What if it is snowing heavily ?
>
>
>Hakkas ? Qs ? 2s ?
>
>Blizzaks ?
>
>Or ?

Bring every tire you have... ;-).

However, if it is like 2000 or 2001 a dedicated ice tire would be the best choice - Hakka Q/Blizzak. If there is fresh snow, it would depend on where you are running in the field and how many times the road has been run. You probably need something with a more aggressive snow tread if you are in the first 10 or so cars on the first pass of the road. At Perce Neiges in 2000 (very similar conditions to Sno*Drift) we started out 11th on the road on C5s, which were probably the correct tires for that road position. After having some issues, we became last car on the road and the C5s definitely were the wrong tire to be on (polished ice). We've also been on TV for having the wrong tires on ice (Quebec '99).

In 2001 (maybe 2000?), we ran on Hakka 1s, which were ok, but definitely did not have the same level of grip as the Qs or the MZ-02s.

I'd suggest bringing six mounted ice tires, plus a collection of other (snow and gravel) tires. Leave the gravel tires on the trailer unless the temps get above freezing.

Note that the type of car may affect the choice too...

Adrian

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
PatR swears by tractionized WS50's (MZ's aren't available any more BTW).

All of the Hakka 2's I have seen are pre-studded. That said, they have more sipes than the Hakka 1's.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>PatR swears by tractionized WS50's (MZ's aren't available
>any more BTW).

Tractionizing is yet another variable...

>All of the Hakka 2's I have seen are pre-studded. That said,
>they have more sipes than the Hakka 1's.

I believe non-studded 2s are available in markets that don't allow studs. The Qs are probably better on ice than non-studded 2s, although both will be better than 1s. 1s would be probably better in snow (as I was demonstrating on my way to work this morning - Hakka 1s work nicely in 3 inches of fresh snow...).

I doubt if there is a lot of difference in performance among the main-stream ice tires, although their tread pattern may accentuate one aspect over another.

Adrian

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: An Ultimate Cheater!

- Black Rocket in Finland has an answer to US rallyists;

Rally snow tire with industrial diamonds molded into tread rubber!!

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts

Good Luck trying to get any BR's.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>Where can you get tires tractionized?
>
>I thought tirerack used to offer a siping service, but, cant
>find it now.

Find your local ice racers ;-). I would not suggest tractionizing unless your tire budget allows you to change tires reasonably frequently, as you trade off life for grip... I'm not sure how long tractionized tires would retain their edge if you had dry tarmac or gravel transits.

Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts