Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because this is a car that makes me happy.

What eventual head of a WRC team won the Safari using a car for which fuel injection was a daring technical innovation in a year that one of the most wildly innovative cars might have been expected to win?

Bonus point one: What happened before the event to almost lose it for the eventual victor?

Bonus point two: The victor didn't even do recce. Who did it for him?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
hmm, This goes from easy to really tough (so I must be all wrong)
1. Must be Ove Andersson
2. in Peugeot? (404 or 504??)
3. what happeen & who did recce ?? (I got no clue on these)

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
Are the ground rules that all questions still must be answered from memory? ie no reference material?

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that's better, yes. You might ask Mr. Woods - he made the rules. I might suggest that if the question wallows too long you can look it up. I don't think you'll find the answer to this one on the net, although you will find it in various books.

ACP

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>I think that's better, yes. You might ask Mr. Woods - he
>made the rules. I might suggest that if the question wallows
>too long you can look it up.

Yes, I suggested that we should try to answer the questions from memory or take our best crack at answering them using logic, deduction, etc.

In order to do so, the questions posed need to be reasonable and not so obscure that they are impossible. The questions so far have seemed to be OK, as most of them have eventually be answered. The only problem, is that the old farts section of the forum appears to be visited by only a few regulars.

Doug Woods

P.S. Andrew, what is this Mr. business?

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
back to the Q's
hmmm,
Wild innovative car- Alpine A110 or Stratos ?
Before event - did the transport boat almost sink?
Who did recce - Jean Toldt ?(well known as a Peugeot codriver)
Jeffy (all outta guesses) Secor

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Hey,

I'm visiting regularly too. The problem is I don't seem to have the recallable memory bank that the rest of you old farts do. Maybe too many withdrawls from the bank over the years and the balance is in the red.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
409 Posts
1975 Safari Rally
Winners: Ove Andersson/Arne Hertz
Car: Peugeot 504

The recce was probably done by one of Timo Mäkinen, Hannu Mikkola or Bert Shankland (Peugeot's three other entries that year), but I don't know which.

As for the mysterious "event" that almost foiled their plans, I also thought it was a cargo boat sinking...

And, yes I looked it all up. Despite being a history nut, I still have yet to "score" on one of these quizzes.

Bill Westhead
PS I'm surprised Mad Mike didn't pick up on this thread. Isn't he the resident Pug 504 fan?
http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Peug504/NLites04.jpg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a great photo! Its why I posted this particular question - wanted a little love for the 504 when it beat the Stratos.

The missing answers are that Arne Hertz, the codriver, did the recce without Ove. In fact, I think he did it alone, driving.

The incident was a collision with a non-competing vehicle (a bus I believe) on the way to the start from the hotel. Most of the right-side panels on the car were bent before the event began. Cargo boat may have sunk also, so I can't deny points for that without looking it up myself.

Bill is obviously a keener, and since there was no really clear winner on this I'm going to use my judicial fiat (and not my judicial alfa) to give him the win. Next question to billw. Maybe start it in a new thread every time?

ACP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts