Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to Mad Mike for posting the poll about our project. His knowledge and enthusiasm have helped convince myself and Stephanie that we're not crazy! Since the trigger has been pulled so to speak, here's what I have written to announce this event:

What rally needs is?
?a place to talk with others in the sport
?a place to learn
?a place to see what?s new
?a place to plan for the future.

A time and place for all involved with the sport?
The First Annual
North American Rally Convention

?a chance for everyone involved in the sport to gather for a ?non-denominational? weekend of friends and knowledge.

Tentatively scheduled for the Labor Day weekend in Hot Springs, Arkansas, the convention includes an expo, seminars, parties, and a chance to actually talk with those other guys and gals you briefly see on race weekends!

Wander the expo and see what?s new in safety, lighting, tires, find the right shop to build a car for you, meet organizers, drivers, and the people who make the sport happen. Attend seminars that will provide first rate information and guidance (instead of just explaining why insurance rates went up again!) Bench race over a beer, or if you get bored with all the rally stuff, head down to the spas in Hot Springs ?Bathhouse Row? for a massage to get those sore muscles ready for your next stint in the car.

Top it all off with a welcome party, a banquet with awards and a keynote speaker, and all of your closest rally friends (and fiends?) from Canada, Mexico, and the US!

The convention is not associated with any sanctioning body ? we believe this is the best way to serve the rally community in North America. All involved with sport throughout Canada, Mexico, and the US, are invited to attend ? competitors, organizers, workers, photogs, crews, vendors and fans.

Bring the family ? Hot Springs (http://www.hotsprings.org) has been a resort town since the 1800?s and has been a favorite of everyone from presidents to gangsters ? so there?s plenty to do!

Whether you?d like to exhibit or attend, please send an e-mail for more information!
[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duh!

:eek:

A lot of you folks will remember my BRG (Brit Racing Green) MGB-GT (almost as cool a car name as Lancia Delta Integrale) that I ran in the California Rally Series a couple of years ago. I'm now in Arkansas -- went back to school for an MBA. The rally convention idea grew from some class work (and the support of a professor of mine who is an expert in sports marketing).

Like everyone here I've got an irrational love for this sport. I believe that organizing something like this is the best way I can contribute...I think we need it.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary
(was) ClubRally MGB-GT #644

-ps The MG is still around but I broke the engine and have been busy building Stephanie's TR8! (street/autocross machine)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Labor Day weekend is a major rally weekend.

You'll need another date.

Be sure and check for any other conflicts.

The idea is good. Now (spring time) in rally quiet time would be the best time to schedule it in my opinion. You need to allow for transit and towing and a weekend many can take off from prepping for the next events. Won't be easy, but there should not be another rally the weekend before or that weekend or the weekend after to maximize attendance probability.

Good luck

Tony

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
go to rallyracingnews.com and check out the Combined Rally Schedule

Labor Day is tough time to squeeze in yet another rally-related event. You can't move the conference earlier or later without stepping on a race that would hurt your turnout and thus harm the value of the conference. I agree with earlier post advocating a spring date.

last weekend August is RA Ojibwe in MN

Sept 2 is date of NASA ESRC Rally Tennessee, Why should a rally conference in MO be scheduled against a major event so nearby?

Sept 10-11 is probably the busiest single weekend of the year! -- CARS Rallye Defie Ste. Agathe in Quebec; RA regionals in WA, NASA Midwest series Manistee Forest in MI

Sept 17-18 is RA Colorado Cog

The conference is a great idea, it could have a whole lot of beneficial cross-pollination effects for North American rallying...just not on Labor Day weekend.

Cheers,

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net
Maine

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>go to rallyracingnews.com and check out the Combined Rally
>Schedule
The page cannot be displayed. As of 9.25AM CDT

>Labor Day is tough time to squeeze in yet another
>rally-related event. You can't move the conference earlier or
>later without stepping on a race that would hurt your turnout
>and thus harm the value of the conference. I agree with
>earlier post advocating a spring date.
>
>last weekend August is RA Ojibwe in MN
>
>Sept 2 is date of NASA ESRC Rally Tennessee, Why should a
>rally conference in MO be scheduled against a major event so
>nearby?
This event had not been scheduled when Labor Day was picked.

Keith and Stephanie checked all known events before proposing Labor Day. Also, Hot Springs is in AR. :)
Richard

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
>
>Keith and Stephanie checked all known events before proposing
>Labor Day.

Don't ya just LOVE scheduling new events? I'm a show promoter by trade, and finding the right hole in the existing schedule is one of the biggest single decisions that an organizer can make when putting together a new event.

Also, Hot Springs is in AR. :)
>Richard

Well, from the viewpoint of this dang Yankee in deepest darkest Maine, AR and TN look pretty close together! Especially in the context of an event designed to draw rally people from Canada to Mexico, New England to the Far West.

Dave G

PS--What if you held the convention in conjunction with one of the major national rallies, instead of trying to schedule around an already crowded calendar? (see rz post elsewhere on this forum) You'd draw sanctioning types, event organizers, active teams, trade exhibitors, workers, etc. Rim of the World already does something very much like this, they have an awesome trade/consumer car show as part of their circus. Think of a central location in a place that';s a great draw all by itself as a vacation desination...hmm, ain't that what put Hot Springs AR on the map originally?!

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>
>Well, from the viewpoint of this dang Yankee in deepest
>darkest Maine, AR and TN look pretty close together!
>Especially in the context of an event designed to draw rally
>people from Canada to Mexico, New England to the Far West.
>
>Dave G
And from Texas, any thing east of the Hudson River all the way to PEI is New England. And a Yankee is any one from north of Kentucky and west of the Mississippi. :+

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>PS--What if you held the convention in conjunction with one of
>the major national rallies, instead of trying to schedule
>around an already crowded calendar?

I can't (won't) speak for the Wheelers in this regard, but I'm sure that one of the prime reasons for NOT doing this in association with any rally is to avoid any hint of aligning it with a sanctioning organization. To his credit, Ray Hocker was up front with me regarding his concerns about how the Wheeler's event competes with the Rim rally expo but he appeared to agree that being non-aligned and located in the middle of the continent was a benefit. As already mentioned, he expressed an interest in supporting the Wheeler's event despite his concern.

I believe a weekend dedicated to nothing but rally that is not deflected by a competition event is capable of accomplishing much, much more than what has been tried before. I know I've been forced to skip town halls the 'morning after' due to my limited vacation and financial resources and found the SCCA convention precluded much in the way of cross-pollination between autosport disciplines since they always had three tracks running more or less consecutively. A weekend with but one 'track' would rock!

BTW - Many have indicated concerns over the loactation but we should keep in mind that being near the organizers may be the only way the Wheelers can pull this first one off. If Convention #1 is a big enough success I bet it would be easy to take it further afield in subsequent years.

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mad Mike said:

>I believe a weekend dedicated to nothing but rally that is not
>deflected by a competition event is capable of accomplishing
>much, much more than what has been tried before.
>...
>
>BTW - Many have indicated concerns over the loactation but we
>should keep in mind that being near the organizers may be the
>only way the Wheelers can pull this first one off. If
>Convention #1 is a big enough success I bet it would be easy
>to take it further afield in subsequent years.

Again I have to say "thanks Mike" -- I think that's become my mantra of late!

When I was the last surviving CRS "Stock" class car at Rim in 2000 and pulled in to the hotel on day 2 my wife was just jumping up and down. She ran up to the car yelling "you won! you won!" And what I said was "yeah, I'm so excited if I had any energy left I'd barf". The problem with the town hall things that happen at events are:

1) people are tired
2) people want to get their cars on their trailers and go home
3) fans want to watch
4) there's not time to do things like licensing schools
5) some people are worried about their crunched and/or broken cars
6) the organizers are really busy

My "big picture" dream of this thing is something that combines the "town hall" meetings with a licensing school and many many opportunities for people to talk. There just isn't time when you're busy racing.

On Hot Springs:

Mike is right, this first one will be easier on us if it is closer. Plus Hot Springs was not selected just because it's close. Hot Springs is on the border of 1.8 million acres of National Forest. The roads are incredible. Amazing. I mean "7 water crossings next 4 miles" fun fun. I grew up on those roads, and I want to see an event return. The last was in 1988. Like many rally venues, there are some politics to deal with. If, with the help of all you wonderful people in the rally community, I can pull off a convention and licensing school, where we show the tourism/convention centric people of the area what our sport is about and what a rally means, THEN perhaps my dream of the return of rally to my home state will come true. As the convention grows, we can find a bigger "more better" location...but for now I think this is the place. And yes, I am asking for the help of all you folks, we make this happen and we could gain an incredible centrally located area for some great rally driving.

As far as logistics go, Hot Springs has a first class convention center -- maybe too nice for a bunch of rowdie racers! :) with lots of hotel rooms and plenty of fun things for the spouse and kids to do.

I'll touch on the date selection later...it is a challenge, and I will be honest, nothing about this event has been taken lightly.

Thanks for all the feedback, support and random commentary!

-Keith Wheeler

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is Hot Springs warm in the winter? If so, holding it in Jan-Mar timeframe is a pull for us Canadians.

Robin

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Date:

It would make a very positive impact to schedule a non-denominational rally convention on none Stage Rally Weekend.

As far as picking Labor Day: three day holiday weekends are pretty valuable commodities.

Keep the positive energy flowing

Good Luck!!
Mike

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Is Hot Springs warm in the winter? If so, holding it in
>Jan-Mar timeframe is a pull for us Canadians.
>
>Robin

From http://www.hotsprings.org/ ...

Temperature Ranges (Fahrenheit)

Month High Low
January 40 9
February 44 24
March 50 30
April 60 40
May 69 50
June 75 62
July 85 70
August 88 72
September 75 62
October 68 55
November 50 40
December 42 28

Notice NOTHING below zero and only four listed below freezing! A veritable Canadian heat wave in the coldest of months! ;-)

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry guys, but I have committed to organizing and being Rally Manager for a 110 mile tarmac rally, Rally Tennessee, that is part of the ESRC that weekend.

And... as if I have nothing else to do ;-) ... have some folks coming to help me do a driving school as well that weekend.

Like the idea though. Perhaps our NASA folks have some suggestions for other dates/ideas: www.nasaforums.com

L&L ... no wait sorority
Rally On... no wait, taken
Zoom, zoom, zoom... no wait commercial

Oh well,

Kickin' "As"-phalt Southern Style,

Kendall

Ya'll come now ye hear! (jimmy that means we be a lookin' fer ya too)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Do an convetion in San Diego in teh winter months, it is always warm here and people enjoy comming here.

I can probably line up the facilities.

-george

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>Do an convetion in San Diego in teh winter months, it is
>always warm here and people enjoy comming here.
>
>I can probably line up the facilities.
>
>-george
And hotels and speakers etc.? Takes lots of work.
Richard

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just crossing this idea from the other thread:

"...you can speak to the people at either PRI or SEMA and they can help you set up a conference...especially if you are bringing in potential buyers to products that their members are selling. Both of those events have schedules of meetings, classes, round table discussions, etc. in ballrooms that could work perfectly for this type of event. Moreover, many companies are already there and it would save them the cost of committing to another (very unknown) show. Check out www.performanceracing.com"

It would also get a bunch of rally folks to PRI...an amazing show to see and lots of things to learn. Believe it or not, it isn't all circle track stuff. Where else can you talk to and see products from Ohlins, Alcon, Wilwood, ProTrac, Brembo, Sachs, Xtrac, GKN, Tilton, Emco, Motec, Bosch, AP, SPA-Technique, ATL, Fuel Safe, Aeroquip, Fragola, Sparco, OMP, Recaro, Racetech, G-Force, etc., etc...all in one place for one weekend. A lot of companies with a history of rally parts...and some companies that specialize in things that can help you solve your rally car problem/need.

That said, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and recognize Keith's desire for Hot Springs (location) and thank him and Mike for trying to get something off the ground.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
*beeeeeep* *beep *beep* *beep* *beep* *beep*
(sound of thread being brought back to life)

It seems like this didn't happen. I'd guess that for it to do so, the attendees would have to figure out a way for the principles (representatives from the sanctioning bodies) to get there at a financial zero. More directly, I think we would have to pay their airfare and hotel.

*gazing at passing clouds on this sunny day*

Could have been a fun time.

Anders

1 - 20 of 23 Posts