Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading matt johnsons press release about him competing in the jwrc and would like to correct him of something. jeff zwart drove group a mazdas and some group n evo 4´s in new zealand and even acropolis i believe. buffum and lagemann are the only guys who get any credit though. nonetheless, congratulations on your step up to a much higher level of competition. good luck.

later,

aaron mcconnell

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>i was reading matt johnsons press release about him competing
>in the jwrc and would like to correct him of something.

Since you've mentioned it, this statement bends the truth unless Pat Richard changed his name to Matt Johnson:

"After winning the Rally America National Championship in 2005, Matt Johnston,....."

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If you read the bottom, it says Gp2 Championship. Just trying to grab a readers attention in the first chunk.

IMHO when I am trying to grab a press writers attention, especialy someone who prolly knows nothing about rally, that sounds better than Winner of Rally America G2 Class Championship. Not trying to take anything away from Pat or anyone, Pat's my hero :) But this is marketing, and sounding sweet is #1 priority.

According to rallybase Jeff Zwart competed in:

19 1993 Rothmans Rally of New Zealand Tony Sircombe

And that is all that is listed. Tim O'Neil also did the 1990 thousand lakes, but according to rallybase, no-one has done more than 2 in a year, so thats what I promoted. If Im wrong, My bad, but rallybase is usaully pretty spot on.

Not trying to step on toes. But am trying to get as much press coverage as possible. The WRC aint cheap, and press helps bring in the money.

And it isnt the JWRC, I am eligible, but didnt have the $$ to enter at the time, and I dont think I am ready. We'll see 2007.

Oh, and my last name has a T in it.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>
>Oh, and my last name has a T in it.
>
Does that mean you will be faster? :)

Good luck with your quest. I sincerely hope you succeed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
>>
>>Oh, and my last name has a T in it.
>>
>Does that mean you will be faster? :)
>
>Good luck with your quest. I sincerely hope you succeed.
>
Mabe he should drop the T less weight...Just a joke the best of luck.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>If you read the bottom, it says Gp2 Championship. Just trying
>to grab a readers attention in the first chunk.

You also manage to kill your credibility at the same time. Any journalist that is intreguied by the first line will do the research and come up with Pat Richard as the 2005 RA Champion. Even once they find your name as the 2wd champion, you've already become 'unreliable' as a source. You can add sponsors to this as well, they can now expect you to overstate your 'property'

Additinally, the international media generally views Canada and the US as 'America' and some would apply american to anyone from north, central or south america.

I wish you all the best in your effort, you're going to learn a TON!

·
Registered
768 Posts
- Yeah, Matt, don't make a big deal before things are ready to go
- Anyone can "plan to do whole WRC" IF they can find 10 mil cash
- This doesn't look good at all:
---------------
"Matt is ready to compete, and only has sponsorship and financing issues to sort out".
---------------

- To say finding money is "only" issue sounds foolish. It is THE problem to 90.00% of world's rallyists...
- I wish you well and hope things work out as planned
- Finally, you idea of doing WRC the way you plan is good and your choise of car's perfect, too

·
Registered
5 Posts
>Any journalist that is intreguied by the first line will do the
>research and come up with Pat Richard as the 2005 RA Champion.
>Even once they find your name as the 2wd champion, you've
>already become 'unreliable' as a source. You can add sponsors
>to this as well, they can now expect you to overstate your
>'property'

While you're not wrong, you are assuming that "journalists" actually CHECK facts. (the don't BTW) Reporters, which are a very different animal, usually DO! Too bad there aren't many of them left.....

Matt, put any-damn-thing in your profile sheet that will help you succeed short of an outright lie.

Be a success, in spite of people picking nits.

Don't apologize.

Slainte!

Ron

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>- Yeah, Matt, don't make a big deal before things are ready
>to go
>- Anyone can "plan to do whole WRC" IF they can find 10 mil
>cash
>- This doesn't look good at all:
>---------------
>"Matt is ready to compete, and only has sponsorship and
>financing issues to sort out".
>---------------

I'm ready too.

Washington DC
Codriving superstar ready to enter WRC and F1 championships when his lucky powerball # hits or wealthy family members die leaving enormous inheritance. "I'm excited to be in the position I am now", says Shindle, "Its been a long road to wait to get someone else's money to compete on the next level".

Hard to believe that press release made it as a feature here.

Best of luck and hope to see you there.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
>If you read the bottom, it says Gp2 Championship. Just trying
>to grab a readers attention in the first chunk.
>
>IMHO when I am trying to grab a press writers attention,
>especialy someone who prolly knows nothing about rally, that
>sounds better than Winner of Rally America G2 Class
>Championship. Not trying to take anything away from Pat or
>anyone, Pat's my hero :) But this is marketing, and sounding
>sweet is #1 priority.
>
>According to rallybase Jeff Zwart competed in:
>
>19 1993 Rothmans Rally of New Zealand Tony Sircombe
>
>And that is all that is listed. Tim O'Neil also did the 1990
>thousand lakes, but according to rallybase, no-one has done
>more than 2 in a year, so thats what I promoted. If Im wrong,
>My bad, but rallybase is usaully pretty spot on.
>
>Not trying to step on toes. But am trying to get as much press
>coverage as possible. The WRC aint cheap, and press helps
>bring in the money.
>
>And it isnt the JWRC, I am eligible, but didnt have the $$ to
>enter at the time, and I dont think I am ready. We'll see
>2007.
>
>Oh, and my last name has a T in it.
>
>
>
>
>

Matt, do what you have to do but...

I am going to agree with Mr. Morrison on this one. IF it were me, I'd put 2005 National Class Champion, or 2005 Group Two National Champion, or 2005 National Champion in the Group Two Classification. Then at the bottom put a descripter ACCURATELY hyping up Group 2. Best way to keep a journalist worth a damn from tossing the story if they do any research...

·
4,813 Posts
>While you're not wrong, you are assuming that "journalists"
>actually CHECK facts. (the don't BTW) Reporters, which are a
>very different animal, usually DO! Too bad there aren't many
>of them left...

I have usually thought of reporters as the ones that simply parrot what they are told, with little or no digging, and journalists as the ones that do the better work - semantics in either case.

But with 16 years in the news business behind be, I can tell you that just about anyone would contact RA to and would quickly incover the misleading line.

There is a good story to be told, for sure, and it can be done in an engaging way without resorting to misleading people to get them interested.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Interestingly, Jeff Zwart also was the one who advised Aaron that he'd be better off saving his money and doing one international event rather than an entire season in US rally.

And Matt, you seem to be pursuing that similar idea and I wish you good luck and hope you can pull it off!

Aaron> If I didn't know you were typing on some Bolivian keyboard I'd comment on the lack of capital letters. Hope your having fun down there.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Geeez.

The reporters that I have had interviews with over the past week totally got it, and did the research and had no problem with it. They were nice and educated and understood EXACTLY what was going on.

I've sent press releases that were all nice and 100% politically correct. They got 0% coverage.

I wouldnt have made a release if I wasnt 90% sure the program was solid and ready. My name was posted on the entry list at the fiesta sporting trophy website, on wrc.com and on some other rallyforums. People were asking what the story was. Potential sponsors wanted to see people take some notice. I made a release so people would understand what's up. My unique web visits went from 348 a day to 46,000 the day the release ran on wrc.com, and have stayed pretty high. Now I have the option of including my website as a saleable commodity.

A potential sponsor wanted more hype. I made a release, got local and regional press coverage here in MI, my first JOB is promoting myself for my marketing partners. Somewhere else in there is driving, and keeping the rally community happy.

I'm not going to delve into the financial aspects of this program, and I assure you I dont make releases just for giggles. People make releases that say they PLAN to do stuff all the time.. "Rally NY Plans to be a WRC event" etc.. You cant finance projects by sitting around all quiet like and mailing one-off sponsorship proposals to every company in the USA. I need to get people excited about it. Local people, state people, national people and people all over the world. I need EVERY set of eyes that is remotely interested on motorsport to know my plan. That's my first goal. You arent going to get to the WRC just by being super fast anymore, especially not from the USA.

This was written for the general press, not the rally community. They dont give a crap about 2wd, 4wd, or class champion from 4 events with little to no competition. They give a crap about a good story, something different and interesting.

Look up "American" in the Wiki, and you get refered to the USA. There is no other plural term for United States Citizen.

Ultimately, fine. My bad if I pissed you guys off. My goal is to get coverage, it is working, and I have no problem with it. If Pat is pissed at me. He can feel free to e-mail me or give me a call and we can talk about it.

I can't afford to have someone else do my press for me right now, and I know i'm not the best writer. I sold my rally car, all my gear, and used my savings to pay my Fiesta ST entry fee, fia fees, travel and marketing materials. (and to pay back my mom, girlfriend, friends etc..) that I had borrowed $$ from to pay for 11 USA events.

·
4,813 Posts
>I've sent press releases that were all nice and 100%
>politically correct. They got 0% coverage.

All I was suggesting was that your releases should be factually correct.

Remember that your are now on the world stage, and the local rules no longer apply.

That said, your last response suggests that you beleive that you have everything under control and don't need or want any advice ... so be it.

Again, best of luck!

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Matt,
Go for it, and keep your eyes open.

To the nit pickers:
I seem to recall no scolding or anything when a certain Canadian's press releases had headlines about this or that in Grope N, when the ACTUAL result was this or that OF THE REGISTERED WHOLE SEASON LONG competitors, but MUCH LOWER DOWN in the ACTUAL positions counting all the people ACTUALLY ENTERED that day.

And I recall no whining when a certain resident, and nice and friendly Ned Zedder had press releases calling himself the National Champion when in fact it was the my friend from BC, the NZer was the "Open" National Champion.

Indeed, I seem to recall some cluck-cluck-ing at those who might have pointed out this somewhat elastic versions of the truth.

Matt, as you have seen, "journalists" and "reporters" are mere whores, they'll write anything for money or for the little excitement of getting to hang out with people doing things they never can or will.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA.
www.jvab.f4.ca

janvanvurpa(at)f4(dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!
Rally Anarchy Rallyist BBS
- http://www.rallyanarchy.com/

·
Registered
123 Posts
>Geeez.
>
>The reporters that I have had interviews with over the past
>week totally got it, and did the research and had no problem
>with it. They were nice and educated and understood EXACTLY
>what was going on.
>
>I've sent press releases that were all nice and 100%
>politically correct. They got 0% coverage.
>
>I wouldnt have made a release if I wasnt 90% sure the program
>was solid and ready. My name was posted on the entry list at
>the fiesta sporting trophy website, on wrc.com and on some
>other rallyforums. People were asking what the story was.
>Potential sponsors wanted to see people take some notice. I
>made a release so people would understand what's up. My unique
>web visits went from 348 a day to 46,000 the day the release
>ran on wrc.com, and have stayed pretty high. Now I have the
>option of including my website as a saleable commodity.
>
>A potential sponsor wanted more hype. I made a release, got
>local and regional press coverage here in MI, my first JOB is
>promoting myself for my marketing partners. Somewhere else in
>there is driving, and keeping the rally community happy.
>
>I'm not going to delve into the financial aspects of this
>program, and I assure you I dont make releases just for
>giggles. People make releases that say they PLAN to do stuff
>all the time.. "Rally NY Plans to be a WRC event" etc.. You
>cant finance projects by sitting around all quiet like and
>mailing one-off sponsorship proposals to every company in the
>USA. I need to get people excited about it. Local people,
>state people, national people and people all over the world. I
>need EVERY set of eyes that is remotely interested on
>motorsport to know my plan. That's my first goal. You arent
>going to get to the WRC just by being super fast anymore,
>especially not from the USA.
>
>This was written for the general press, not the rally
>community. They dont give a crap about 2wd, 4wd, or class
>champion from 4 events with little to no competition. They
>give a crap about a good story, something different and
>interesting.
>
>Look up "American" in the Wiki, and you get refered to the
>USA. There is no other plural term for United States Citizen.
>
>Ultimately, fine. My bad if I pissed you guys off. My goal is
>to get coverage, it is working, and I have no problem with it.
>If Pat is pissed at me. He can feel free to e-mail me or give
>me a call and we can talk about it.
>
>I can't afford to have someone else do my press for me right
>now, and I know i'm not the best writer. I sold my rally car,
>all my gear, and used my savings to pay my Fiesta ST entry
>fee, fia fees, travel and marketing materials. (and to pay
>back my mom, girlfriend, friends etc..) that I had borrowed $$
>from to pay for 11 USA events.

Oh Oh here we go again Americans knocking a young American guy with a bit of spunk...Get behind him and suport his idea...Ok he might have made a few incorrect statements not toatly untrue they were just stated wrong so what...Ye should get togeather and rise sponcership for him...Good luck someone needs to get the North America on the WRC map, Pat Richard tried on his funds and got very little suport ok his Canadian but still NA.
Imsuprised that The Ford Motor Company over there wont help out It woul be only penny's to them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts