Special Stage Forums banner

Americans in Paris-Dakar?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Dave Kean 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of anybody from the US in the Paris-Dakar rally?

Why aren't there more Americans in this event?

Patrick

#6 ·
How is a Canadian not an American? A Canadian is not a US Citizen, but does reside in North America.

#7 ·
Note that I chose my words carefully in my initial post.
Yes Canadians are Americans; so are Columbians. I was more
interested in US citizens (not just residents) in P-D.

Why isn't the Paris-Dakar going to either Paris or Dakar?

Patrick

#8 ·
>How is a Canadian not an American? A Canadian is not a US
>Citizen, but does reside in North America.

Sorry, I used American to mean US (the question asked for US competitors but I thought I'd give a shout out to the Canadian). Here in Canada we don't tend to classify ourselves as 'American', although indeed we are part of N.America.

#9 ·
Last year saw two teams from the US. I believe they ran a Nissan. the other ran a Baja style F150. That's what I remember...I could be wrong.

More teams don't run b/c it's big money. We have a hard enough time getting sponsorship money for US rally events.

#10 ·
Darren Skilton, from Los Angeles, has driven for the Kia Team in Dakar in 2000 and 2001. I can't remember if they're going back for the 2003 rally. When I talked with him last February, Baja Automotive Adventures (Darren's company) and Kia were preparing a new Sorrento for SCORE and Baja type events - to compete with the big 8100 series trucks, I believe. There was a spread in Motor Trend a while back showcasing the new Baja Sorrento, prepped by Darren (not as much power as the big trucks, but not as much weight, either).

Darren's a very nice guy. Last we spoke, he voiced some interest in doing US rally - haven't heard much since. I'm guessing he's got his hands full with current projects....

#11 ·
>Last year saw two teams from the US. I believe they ran a
>Nissan. the other ran a Baja style F150. That's what I
>remember...I could be wrong.
>
>More teams don't run b/c it's big money. We have a hard
>enough time getting sponsorship money for US rally events.
>
>

Last year, American motorcycle legend Mark Miller was entered in a "Toyota Lease Plan" Land Cruiser. He finished 19th overall in the the diesel Toyota.

Happy Motoring

#12 ·
I think there is a problem getting a visa for Libya if you are an American.
This happens occaisionally in this event as they now change the route each year.

I was a codriver in 1985 for Renault/Jeep Sport in a Jeep Cherokee and we had trouble getting visas for the Congo region which we went through before heading west to Senegal. Since we were owned by the French company Renault, they were able to get the visas, but it would have been impossible if I were by myself.

John Nelson
#382:eek:

#14 ·
Last year American Curt leDuc drove a Kia as well as building both Darren S and his own. Also Johnny Campbell ( winner of the Baja 1000) road a Honda 650 and placed in the top 10 I believe. Sean? the Canadan, well in a interview with him he said he lives in San Fran? Dam can you imagine what entry costs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.