1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published Sunday, May 9, 2004

American driver killed in car rally

The Associated Press

A 77-year-old American driver was killed Saturday in Siena, Italy, when his antique car crashed during an Italian road race, police said. Three other Americans and two Japanese were injured.
Race organizers identified the driver who died as Harlan Schwartz. They said his 33-year-old daughter broke her arm in the crash.

The others had minor injuries, including Rebecca Carol Kerton and Michael Alfred Kerton, of California. The hometowns of the four Americans weren't immediately available.

The Schwartzes were in a 1932 Alfa Romeo when it collided with a 1947 Cisitalia operated by Sasaki Hiroyuki and Todo Makoto of Japan. Police said the cars then hit the Kertons' Smart subcompact.

The Schwartzes' car careened off the road and slammed into a tree, police said. Medics rapidly treated the injured at the scene.

Race organizers said all remaining competition in Saturday's final stage from Roma-Brescia was called off.

Mille Miglia was originally a high-speed motor rally in northern Italy, but after a previous crash it became a show-race for historical cars at less dangerous speeds. Among those participating this year were ex-Formula One driver Mika Hakkinen and Victor Emmanuel, the son of Italy's last king.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2004 CJOnline / The Topeka Capital-Journal / Morris Communications

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
I've had a little time to think about this. And I read some of the other news reports about the crash. My feeling is that this gentleman died doing what he wanted. I hope that he knew his daughter was okay. Then he could have died happy.
Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts