Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some discussion lately of whether ham radio operators could continue to function as they have in the past, since Rally America is a for-profit corporation. I finally located the definitive discussion of the subject, which explains why there are some misconceptions on the subject:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/spevman/#ch6

In short, no problem.

Bruce
N0NUN

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Bruce,
Thanks for posting this link as this discussion oftens comes up at events. I think I will print it out and laminate it! I do think that this means that an employee of RA couldn't use a ham radio for rally communications though.
Jim Blumenfeld
aka
W1JIM

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>Bruce,
> Thanks for posting this link as this discussion oftens
>comes up at events. I think I will print it out and
>laminate it! I do think that this means that an employee
>of RA couldn't use a ham radio for rally communications
>though.

An employee of RA couldn't use a ham radio to pass information FOR HIS EMPLOYER or if he's paid to talk on the radio. An employee - whose job description has nothing to do with radio - could certainly voluteer to assist with the radio net. Just because Subaru, for example, sponsors a rally, it doesn't mean that all their employees are prohibited from participating as hams.

I can't see any reason RA should be paying radio operators...nor do I see any particular reason its name should even come up on the air. How many times did you hear "SCCA" on a rally net - except perhaps in the name of the event during net ID?

Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts