Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got this idea ruminating in the dark recesses of my consciousness. Let me start by saying that perhaps I’m premature in even bringing it up because I'm not trying to grandstand and I’m not sure I’m currently in a position to implement it, but I’d be interested in trying it out if I can make it feasible. Let me run it by y’all.

I propose a prize fund (yup, I know it’s an old fart concept) payable only to specific qualifiers as follows:

I’m thinking conceptually in the context of a typical RA weekend event with one National and two Regional rallies.

One): An amount (I’m thinking $250) paid to a Seed 8 entrant who is a first time finisher of a rally weekend at either both Regionals or the National.

B): An amount (I’m thinking $150) paid to a 2WD finisher of the 2nd Regional.

iii): An amount (I’m thinking $100) paid to a 2WD finisher who places in the Top Ten of the National.

In each of these cases, if there is more than one qualifier, then a random draw will be made of all qualifiers to determine who gets the prize.

The reason for these offerings should be fairly apparent, but just in case: I’m interested in seeing the number of people entering the sport as competitors increase, therefore the first time finisher reward. I’m interested in providing support where it might be most appreciated, i.e. what I suspect are typically likely the lower funded competitors (2WD versus AWD). I’m interested in seeing more 2WD competition because I believe it offers the opportunity for more diversity among vehicles and (if driven well) more visual interest for fans than AWD competition does.

I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Kent Gardam

EDIT: Minor clarification of the 1st time finisher category.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
here's my random thought for the day (and of course it's self serving)-

1st place Top 10 National finishing 2wd team gets their entry fee back.

2nd place gets 50% (only if they are in the top 10 National)

3rd place gets $250. (only if they are in the top 10 National)

Why?

To foster more 2wd manufaturer involvement & more fast 2wd guys to enter National & PUSH to the limit.

Personally I would say insert "Group 2 Team", but after Eric just spent all that dough, I cant imagine not including him & Mazda. The problem then is who, other than Doug S can compete directly. Lord knows I'll try, and so will others, but power is power...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
RE: Nope

I think that whatever can bring more people in off the sidelines will help the events to do better.

I think it would be good to encourage more 2wd, if anything because it feel it would mobilize more entries.

The model of starting in a 2wd car has already been embraced by RA. It would be nice to have an additional way of supporting it. Where would the money come from? It sure wouldn't take much. I like that it is specific on finishing events.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>Sounds good to me, Kent. One note: This might be contingent
>on having aminimum number of entries so that the organizers
>can afford it. This caveat has not been all that unusual.
>
>Regards,
>Mark B.

The organizers Pay for this? You're pretty generous with our money!

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps my original post wasn't clear in this regard but nowhere did I suggest that the organizers would be expected to pay. I was looking at it more from my personal perspective as a way of giving to the sport. Although, if you notice, I also said I wasn't currently in a position to enact it either.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
While your awards might need some refining, I think something like this sounds like a great idea. A sponsor - especially one that is in the car parts or prep biz somehow - might like to pick up on this...especially if you'd settle for product credits instead of cash.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>While your awards might need some refining, I think something
>like this sounds like a great idea. A sponsor - especially
>one that is in the car parts or prep biz somehow - might like
>to pick up on this...especially if you'd settle for product
>credits instead of cash.

I want a prize fund for highest percentage of rally FINISHES. And I want it retroactive back to 1977 :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
RE: Mazda contingency $

The idea is good but let me counter. I would rather take the sponsorship money and offer everyone a $150 entry fee.....but that is the way I think. The whole SEED 9 thing was to offer a easy to enter Rally with a low key atomosphere , to keep the wallet intact.

Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you cant get someone to sponsor something like this you mightr want to try somthing like a side pot.

All competitors with in a specific group 2WD, could pay a ten or twenty dollar fee and the top three positions split the amount what ever it may be, somthing along the lines of 50/30/20.

Bob

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>If you cant get someone to sponsor something like this you
>mightr want to try somthing like a side pot.
>
>All competitors with in a specific group 2WD, could pay a ten
>or twenty dollar fee and the top three positions split the
>amount what ever it may be, somthing along the lines of
>50/30/20.
>
>Bob

the section 8 guys here in MN have what they call the section 8 cup (a nutcup nailed to a board) that promotes consitency in rally cross. everyone that wants in pays a couple bucks. the winner is the person w/the smallest difference in their run times. winner takes all. usually is onlny 25 bucks but it will cover your gas for the day.

they do something for rally too but i cant remember the rules.

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
That's great and all, but the possibility of $250 shouldn't make a difference to anyone's decision to enter a rally. If $250 is make or break, this is the wrong sport for your wallet.

I agree with the person above who said that the rally should keep the money and reduce the entry fee instead.

ALex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts