Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what has been happening with the Geo spec class that was created in the NW region? Also, why aren't more people getting into this class, and other regions adopting it? Are we that afraid of 55HP? :p

I would have thought that all the people that wish they could go rallying but don't think they could afford it, or just want to do it for really cheap would be seriously looking into this? Let's see:

* 95-97 Geo Metro (I think the rules allow for any metro/swift with the 3 cylinder engine) - Less than $3000 (autotrader.com shows most of the ones around here listed for under $2000, some with as few as 30,000 miles! Hey you could even probably finance it because they're so new!)

* Rollcage - starting at $600 (from Davesport.com)

* Skidplate - ??? $200 max? (no idea)

* Computer - ??? $200-300?

* Seats - under $200 each? (demon-tweeks.co.uk)

* Harnesses - $150 each? (???)

* Getting out there and actually rally-driving in the woods (for $4000 for a car that will probably last a long time and not fall apart) and competing with people driving the same exact car - priceless :D

Plus they look like a rally car (albeit a little one, but that is common in Europe), have very little overhang, and look like they have pretty good ground clearance. Seems like fun!

What am I missing here? Your thoughts?

Edit: title of the thread to make it more descriptive...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Geo Metro / Suzuki Swift spec class!

Oh, yes... Kristen Tabor and anyone else who has been participating in this class, I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences and impressions so far... Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts

If you've never driven one on a loose surface with the stock suspension and cheap all season tires, you'll be in for a surprise. Along with lots of body roll they are extremely unstable on those 155/80R13 tires on loose surfaces. With some suspension mods and some decent rally tires they'd do OK but that goes over your budget. Even 55HP is enough to roll or visit the woods in a stock config at any speed.

Harry

·
Registered
43 Posts

I have no idea why more people are not doing this class.
I have run a Geo on two different events..
I learned a lot, you have to drive smarter and smoother.
And the thing took a heck of a pounding and had no problems.(ask Jamie T :eek: )
I was curious and checked before and after for tire ware, NONE THAT I COULD TELL.
This class of car is really what should be the first rally car for a newbe but anyone will learn tons about how smooth you are not driving.

Todd L
IN THE GEO!!!!!!!
2001 Dryad or Shitepoke (cant remember which on) Winner Production
2002 Shitepoke 3rd place Production

·
Registered
240 Posts

I don't know about the geo swift class out west but in Canada they have P1 (like production only 2 steps lower) and it has become spec Subaru Justy and just seeing what those guys do and talking to them they are having a lot of fun! One guy rolled it like 5 times down a bank and had it back on form for the next event 4 weeks later. And the best part the Beer and Pizza consumed while doing it cost more than the repairs!

·
Registered
901 Posts

Sorry it took me a while to get to this thread, I got trapped assisting the rallymaster (dad) of one of our big TSD's of the summer...

So, the Geo class. A great way to learn how to drive; a little frustrating in the power aspect (or lack, as it were!); a HOOT! to compete in, and the spectators love it. We've had lots of people ask us when we'll have the engine back in the car so they can come watch us. We get bigger cheers than Higgins and all those boys up front do. And we don't spend near as much money for way more fun.

Here's the breakdown: 1995-2000 Geo, 3 liter only. I recommend keeping the radio and cupholders. I also recommend some fancy suspension; we ran the car several rallies on KYBs or some such cheap stuff, and then went to DMS. The difference was AMAZING. The car handles way better, and therefore is easier to drive, with good suspension.

Exhaust: 2" pipe from the cat (or kitten, if you go by size!) back; yes, you can fit it under the car. :)

New brake pads. Brembo, I believe.

Silverstone tires, 13"... yes, there is a canyon between first and second with the large tires. Adjust your driving to accomodate it.

I think we got our Geo fully prepped (except for the skid plate and harnesses, which we did ourselves to fit ourselves) from Dave Latourette in Washington for $3000. It was rally-ready when we got it, we just put DMS, Willans harnesses (I like the camlock), exhaust, and a custom skid plate from our guys here in Portland. DMS was the big cost, at $2000 for the set; I like to joke that my suspension costs as much as the car! :) Almost, anyway.

We don't have a rally computer, because around the PNW, you don't need one. Plus, Mom and I have a solid background in TSD rallying, which helps a lot on the transits.

Things I've had to do on it, up to Doo **** this year: nothing. Usual maintenance, ie oil changes. Dad keeps putting new tires on the fronts in order to have some used ones to sell to the folks clamoring for them. My used tires look really new. I get 2 new tires twice a year. I don't need them, per se...

AFter Doo **** and before Oregon Trail we took it to our mechanic Thor because it needed to be gone over by a pro. He said that it had serious compression issues (ie the engine is TOAST!), among other things. So we spent $300 for an engine. And since we had the engine out, Dad decided to do the clutch too. Should be interesting.

On rally weekends, I spend about $20.00 on gas the whole weekend; I use maybe a tank rallying both days, although I top up in the mornings. I think I use about 6 gallons each day. Good ol' 87 octane! People have told me that I should run higher octane, my engine would run cooler, but the Geo doesn't have a problem with running hot. At the ORV park one year we took the radiator out for a couple of runs, and the engine temp didn't budge!

My other expenses on rally weekend is snacks for Mom and me, and that's about it.

Rallying a Geo is all about driver skill. It's also all about momentum, and trying to overcome the coefficient of friction! I've learned to drive with my foot planted, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! We've had a great time, and are looking forward to competing (finally!) with someone in our class, a local gal. She's stoked about it (I think she might kick my a$$, she drags and races karts on the side), we're stoked about it, and everyone else seems to be afraid of taking on a Geo. :)

We definitely need more competitors in the class; I figure, some guys won't rally a Geo because of some manhood-issues, so what exactly is everyone else's excuse? :)

We'll be at Mt Hood in a month! I'm looking forward to making Trevor nervous!

:) Kristen
kd7yct

·
Registered
483 Posts

Just install a rear engine, and carry a spare -they are only like 80# :)

but you'll still be just under 3 liters, they are actually only 993cc each.

I am seriously thinkinh about building the Metro I already own as my first rally car. Right now it has koni sport shocks and H&R springs (both off a swift GTI). it handles the bumps OK, but it has a bit of oversteer tendancy as it sits right now. It also has 155R12 tires on it, so it WAY short on traction, and the H&R springs lowered the car by about an inch, so I gota get that back somehow. It won't set any stage records (unless its a metro specific record), but I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

At $2000, I would have to find an alternative to DMS for suspenders, at least to start.

Kristin, you bringing it to Rim next year? you could probably tow two of them on the same trailer and bring the drag/kart gal down too :)

·
Registered
946 Posts

>>We'll be at Mt Hood in a month! I'm looking forward to
>>making Trevor nervous!
>
>
>AHHHAHH!!!! You just made my day :) :D

Yeah... well before Wild west, Kristen had a higher speed factor than me... She would have started 1 car in front of me and one behind you...

·
Registered
583 Posts
GEO Spec Rental?

How about building 2 Geo Spec cars instead of 1. (Rally one / Rent the other.)

If people in every Region did this, Geo Spec ralliests could travel the country and save an awful lot in transportation costs. When you go out of Region just show up and DRIVE!!! :)

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
7 Posts

Awesome! I'm in, just need to find another Metro (already own a Metro, and a Turbo Sprint). Going to check out the basic rules behind this spec class .....

edit: ... Can't find the rules! I checked on the SCCA-NW region site. Is it on a different site?

Anyway, without reading the rules I'll just amble my way through these next few thoughts. It's great to have a class where HP/torque aren't a factor, nor could they be even for those who could afford to pump the 3-cyl up to acceptable levels. Just as someone said before, "a class where it's all about the driver".

It would be nice to form the rules around Group-N, where the interior doesn't need to be retained. Personally, I don't like being in Production class cars, as the interior would be highly undesirable in the event of an in-cabin fire. To keep costs down though, nearly everything else should be stock. Such as: fuel tank, body panels, suspension geometry, brakes (no rear discs from the SSGTi), bushings (no polyurethane, unless a specific bushing fails on a routine basis), suspension arms, etc.

If this class had a bit more following, it wouldn't be hard for us to convince another suspension manufacturer into making a strut/shock kit capable of withstanding rally punishment (all 1800lbs of vertical punishment the Metro could exert!). Not that I have anything against DMS, but competition makes for better products.

If you can't tell, I am blatantly excited about this class. With costs this low, it isn't inconceiveble to have a car ready by the begining of next season! :7

·
Registered
946 Posts

>Awesome! I'm in, just need to find another Metro (already
>own a Metro, and a Turbo Sprint). Going to check out the
>basic rules behind this spec class .....
>
>edit: ... Can't find the rules! I checked on the SCCA-NW
>region site. Is it on a different site?
>
>Anyway, without reading the rules I'll just amble my way
>through these next few thoughts. It's great to have a class
>where HP/torque aren't a factor, nor could they be even for
>those who could afford to pump the 3-cyl up to acceptable
>levels. Just as someone said before, "a class where it's all
>about the driver".
>
>It would be nice to form the rules around Group-N, where the
>interior doesn't need to be retained. Personally, I don't
>like being in Production class cars, as the interior would
>be highly undesirable in the event of an in-cabin fire. To
>keep costs down though, nearly everything else should be
>stock. Such as: fuel tank, body panels, suspension geometry,
>brakes (no rear discs from the SSGTi), bushings (no
>polyurethane, unless a specific bushing fails on a routine
>basis), suspension arms, etc.
>
>If this class had a bit more following, it wouldn't be hard
>for us to convince another suspension manufacturer into
>making a strut/shock kit capable of withstanding rally
>punishment (all 1800lbs of vertical punishment the Metro
>could exert!). Not that I have anything against DMS, but
>competition makes for better products.
>
>If you can't tell, I am blatantly excited about this class.
>With costs this low, it isn't inconceiveble to have a car
>ready by the begining of next season! :7

The Metro needs to be built to Production class rules. The interior from the B pillar rearword will be able to be removed for 2004+. Doesn't leave much other than dash, door panels and center console.

And if you've done something to catch your car on fire with 50 horsepower perhaps you need to choose a safer sport? :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
RE: Spec racing

We run what equates to a bone stock Swift GT (1300 DOHC). I did a few suspension mods to handle the harshness of rally and the lil'"Swiffer" can take anything you throw at it. Even after three wheeling it back 23miles to the final MTC at Gorman still finishing sixth in class, we only had to replace a wheel & tire, shock spring, $8 worth of tubing for the repair and about 3 hours of fab and welding now it's back in top form.

The WRX boys at the rally crosses don't laugh at the "Little Geo" anymore either. .4 seconds behind first overall open class WRX at the last Rally Cross. It's basically the 90's version of the original mini cooper.

Jim Wright
"Wright On Time" Rally Team
P-Stk Suzuki Swift GT

·
Registered
542 Posts
RE: GEO Spec racing

>The WRX boys at the rally crosses don't laugh at the "Little
>Geo" anymore either. .4 seconds behind first overall open
>class WRX at the last Rally Cross.

This WRX boy is STRONGLY CONSIDERING getting a small fleet of GEO spec rally cars. Would be awesome to compete with 5-6 of my buddies at RALLIES and RALLYX's in spec GEO's.

Just need to get some critical mass for the class and finalize some issues like a spec suspension (cheaper than DMS, but built for rally). I believe there are several good alternatives.

Paul Eklund

·
Registered
374 Posts

Straight bolt on, there isn't anything but DMS. And those you have to modify the suspension a little to make work.

What I originally did was drill an 1/8th" hole in the struts and tap the hole & drain them. Fill with "X" weight fluid for "X"tra dampening and built spacers for the springs for the extra "travel" and ground clearance. Worked great until the funds became available to do the Bilsteins that are on it now.

Paul, you're not selling your Subies to jump into a Spec Geo are you??:+

Jim Wright
CRS Membership Chairman

·
Registered
7 Posts

The Bilstiens, are they a replacement strut? What do they offer for the rear suspension?

Glad to hear that 04+ Prod cars won't need the interior from the B-pillar back. Building the car for Production should make for a really cheap race program. :)

·
R5/cr L5 into Helicopter Ride
420 Posts

Well you've definatly got a car with potential. Once you figure it out we'll all be eating dust hehe :)

anyway, the comment just made laugh. real hard for some reason. you know how it is. That late night easy hilarity that strikes you for whatever reason...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts