Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so you are going to put an event together with 12 stages from various US events to make one rally. What are the stages that would have to be included and why?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
America's Best. The name says it all.

Fuzzy Top. Very, very tricky downhill; so-o-o satisfying when done right.

Pikes Peak(the hillclimb, not the stage). Cinch up those belts, watch just the road, and keep your foot in it.

There are many more, but I don't want to be a hog.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>OK, so you are going to put an event together with 12 stages
>from various US events to make one rally. What are the
>stages that would have to be included and why?

Not in any particular order...

1. Porter Creek (Washington) -- Fun stage, the S curves, probably beats even Brooklyn as my favorite stage

2. Brooklyn Tavern (Washington) -- An amazing stage, flowing, forgiving, banked, smooth

3. Delaware Mines (Michigan) -- Fast and Fun

4. Brockway Mountain (Michigan) -- That ride with Pat Richard is one rally experience I will never forget. :)

5. MaGalloway (Maine) -- I don't know why, I just like that stage.

6. Del Sur (California) -- A rare fast stage at Rim, a bit of everything

7. Witty Tom (Arizona) -- Fast, some fun twisties at either end.

8. The Ridge Route (California) -- Formerly used at the Gorman Ridge Rally, a broken tarmac stage with lots of fun corners, an occasional boulder in the apex to keep you honest

I haven't done Ojibwe enough to remember stage names, but I know there are a couple there I like. I haven't run in Oregon, so I can't suggest any stages from here. I have only seen one stage at STPR, and I was working it so I don't know what it was like at speed. I have never been to Sno*Drift. I've heard the stages at Cherokee are fantastic, but I haven't been to that area yet. I'd probably fill out my 12 with something from these events.

Ben

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Oi, forgot.
Capitol Freeway in Capitol Forest.

MANDAN ROAD!!!!!! oh yeah! flat in 4th on the limiter!!!! more jumps in one stage than 10 years in the NW! 3rd OVERALL on stage behind some
EVO!!!
Yeeeeeeehaww!! (co driver doing 'dominus rex.....' the whole stage, he had said he drove is 'hunting and seaching amongst the rocks in second gear.)
Voy Vittu!!

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
Three stages can be handled at one location. Da UP Eh!

Gratiot Lake, Delaware Mine and Brockway Mountain. Some fast bits, some technical bits, some gravel and some tarmac.

Mark Utecht

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't remember many stage names.

-Brockway
-The first stage on LSPR.
-The one at Maine where the road keeps dropping away from your car.
-A couple at Cherokee.
-The twisty 2nd/3rd/4th gear stuff at Ojibwe.
-The NW had some really fun stuff, but the tires just don't last long enough. :)
-Many of the fast stages at STPR.

The All Star Rally would have some of the smooth twisties of STPR, the cliffhangers of Rim and Cherokee and WA, the scenery of Oregon and Maine, the presentation and sponsor value of Rim and Pikes Peak, the party of LSPR, and Brockway about 3 or 4 times. The weather would be gorgeous and 67 deg. all weekend, then snow 12" and be plowed with big snowbanks for the last stage.

Shut up. Don't wake me. Dreamworld is so blissful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This doesn't come from a lot of experience (only know LSPR and Snodrift roads), but:

Avery Lake Stage at Snodrift - I love the fast section at the beginning, then the tighter stuff alongside the lake, a sheer joy to drive.

Brockway Mountain - if only I didn't smash the control arm on the colt just before this stage, it would have been awesome.

Black River at Snodrift - 15 miles of fun in the snow, if only we could add some curves to Blue Lakes road and get rid of the chicane....

Steve

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Awesome idea for a thread!

I haven't competed in enough rallies to say...but I've always been fascinated by the Parmacheene stage in Maine (24 miles or so with lots of sideless bridges, smooth, long, offcamber corners, fast sections, a mostly smooth surface, and a cool steep crest into hard left at the finish).

I also like what's used usually as stage 6 at STPR every year (always has a different name) It consists of several classic STPR junctions, a descent down some rolling hills to the bottam than an ascent back upwards, and lots of smooth flowing stuff in between.

Of the rallies I've competed, I really enjoyed Campbell's Lake at Sandhills. There's just something about driving in a narrow, 1 lane, tree-lined section, then making a 90 right onto a 4 lane smooth, open, straight, cresty road to absolutely blast through with 4 foot sandbanks on each side. Very fun, especially if you're driving or riding with someone with power :)

At 100AW, there's a 17 mile stage with a few sections of jumps, some tight junctions and good spectator points, cattleguards (including a gattleguard into a hard left), low water bridges, and a really cool mix of treelined stuff in the woods and open areas with houses, farms, etc.

How about, instead of just the best rally stages, the hardest rally stages :) My first vote goes to Tresspasser's Wil - 700's Club...lol.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would probably run LSPR, edited to include the REAL stages that the Factory teams were to chicken-shhh to run (i.e. MANDAN), and you MUSN'T forget BROCKWAY MOUNTAIN. Oh, yes.
I "marshalled" The Jump in '02. And that poor SOB that scared the f---out of my mother when his car damn near took the quick way to the bottom.
Oh, yeah, and I saw the clip of Mr. Richard's little attempt to join the Air Force in a Subaru...
Spectator conditions will NEVER be like that again.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Can we trhrow in some Canadian Stages too?

If so there used to be a stage on the early 80's Tall Pines called something like Skoomatooma (or something like that).

Sections of that were like an interstate highway, followed by quick rises/ crests into narrow twisty bits.

The roads at the old Sunrisers were simply incredible. I concur on America's Best as well as Thunder Road.

For sheer terror, you can't beat the STPR stuff up in the Grand Canyon (of the East).

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Two Canadian stages wil always stand out to me

1) The run through the streets of St Agathe - as close to Europe as it gets.

2) The dead end road to dinner on Perce Neige. Wow!

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
First, I never met a stage I didn't like (even/especaially the Friday night stages at Precott 2001 that everyone hated - particularly when reflecting on circuit racing), but my favorite/most memorable stages have to be ...

First View at Prescott Forest (AZ) ... http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/Prescott/HALLEY1_small.jpg

The Creek stage at Sunriser (OH) ... http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/sunr78-1_small.jpg

Magalloway Long at Maine Forest (ME) ... http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/Maine/P7270051_small.jpg

Just about anything from near Tillamook at Oregon Trail, Cherokee Trails (TN), the Big Bend Bash (TX) or the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood (MO) ... http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Peug504/rolla82_small.jpg

Any stage at Ojibwe that includes the Crossroads Jump ... http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/OFPR2002/JBergmn1_small.jpg

BGDR on da U.P., eh!

And a Chisum Trail stage (Weyerhauser forests of SE Oklahoma) that I remember like it ran yesterday - slightly uphill start on a 3-track-wide piece of sure-footed gravel made up mostly of turns we'd call 4s these days - did a square left onto a true 2-track that ran along a small ridge to another square left that dumped us onto a wide, smooth, well maintained downhill logging road that wound you back down to the finish control, situated as it was within a few hundred yards of the start control. Sterling stuff, that ...
http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/chisum79.jpg

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
342 Posts
>I don't remember many stage names.
>
>-Brockway
>-The first stage on LSPR.

Pretty sure that recently the first stage of LSPR has been Herman. This stage would be on my list. Rocky, fast, twisty, unabashed goodness of lspr! Also a very conveniently placed bit of road if you happen to be traveling from Houghton to Marquette:)

>...The weather would be gorgeous and 67
>deg. all weekend, then snow 12" and be plowed with big
>snowbanks for the last stage.

I like the way you think!

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>OK, so you are going to put an event together with 12 stages
>from various US events to make one rally. What are the
>stages that would have to be included and why?

In no particular order:

St Irene from Charlevoix - steep twisty downhill to provincial highway to steep twisty uphill - all tarmac, all through town.

Parmacheene Long or Magalloway Long from Maine

One of the variants of Painter-Leetonia from STPR - smooth, hairpins

Gratiot Lake from LSPR - just a great stage

Sleeper Lake or Mayo Lake (there is somthing about a road that is gravelled in white marble...) from Tall Pines (before they stopped maintaining the road). Skootamatta would be another possibility if it was the full length.

The longest stage we ran at Cherokee (2001) - I forget its name.

I don't know any of the western stages, although Powderface at Rocky Mountain looked interesting.

Adrian

·
Registered
339 Posts
Here are some Canadian stages:

BEST STAGE IN NORTH AMERICA: Charlevoix - Bataram!!!!! 36 Km's (or so) of glory.

Bighorn - The stage where you race into the ski resort, and then back out.

Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have to include the first stage of STPR with the water crossing! All downhill approx 4 miles ending in the splash! That is my favorite stage, we even hold the P-class stage record from our 2002 run. Oh and you have to include Brockway!

Jon Hamilton
www.rallyvw.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
All right, someone else who remembers the late, great Big Bend Bash! What great roads. Mike, do you remember the flash floods? I was one of the guys stuck there for a while. What fun.

Is the Chisum Trails photo in yur post by Su Kemper? I have the identical shot as a color slide, and I was standing right next to her. Did anyone else ever rally Vegas?

Jim Pettengill
White & black Corvair Turbo at Big Bend

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
I just have to chime in about powderface - 34 Km of twisty up an ddown road with only one way in and one way out - was the second stage road I had seen in my life. we have recently returned to running it straight through instead of splitting it in two (there is a real handy and open half way spot)

I've heard that Trish McGeer really dislikes the road, and I know of one co-driver who never gets sick, except for every run on that road.

The stage record sits at 19:10 - tim Bendle in a datusn 510

The road has been used in the Kananaskis rally for the past couple of years, and we have been running it straight through. It almost makes you giggle. With teh winter roads, the record is a long way off, but who knows, maybe it'll be shattered this year!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.