Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
L6 500 R6
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found lots of interesting tips and techniques for road racing alignment but nothing for rally. Do road racing setups have ANYTHING in common with Rally? Specifically RWD. Things such as neg. camber, toe out and balancing. Or is it all trial and error.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great question!

I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. My background is in SoloII and roadracing, and alignment is of paramount importance! It seems much less so in rally, but my observations THUS FAR (and are subject to change...) are that my toe adjustments are very similar.

I use a tad bit of toe-out in the front to enhance turn-in, and set the rear very close to zero. But the big difference is in camber. Since we are not building anywhere near the lateral g's on loose surfaces that we do on asphalt, I run mine much more straight up and down to maximize contact patch. I run about .5 to 1 degree neg. at most (vs. 2.5 to 3.2 neg. for track events).

Suspension is also set up quite a bit softer, obviously! But, the car seems much less affected, even if alignment is off. It is more of a factor on transits, you don't want to be fighting a race alignment in a rally with 100 miles or more of transits! A very conservative street alignment is much less tiring.

Some of the more experienced rallyists should be able to shed more light on the subject! :D

Brian Flanagan
G2 BMW 323is #842

1 - 2 of 2 Posts