Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just wondering how many survivors of the Alcan rally there are here, and what your experience was with the rally. I'm considering doing the rally, maybe not this year, but definitely next year. I've read Paul Eklund's online updates of when he co-drove in the 2000 Winter event. Does the rally still include special events within the rally, like the ice racing that was held that year?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ran in the Summer '98 ALCAN. My present co-driver co-drove with me, as well as my girlfriend. No ice racing in the summer '98 event, due to the lack of ice :7

We all had a great time on the event and met some great people. We would do it again, but it is quite a long time away from work and time away from competing in oother rallies.

-Ray Jay

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ran the Alcan twice.

In 1991 (summer event - Seattle to Anchorage to Jasper) with Satch Carlson and Russ Huntoon aborad the infamous "Blackbird" Saab 900 SPG with the leather covered rollcage. We finished second overall.

Came back in 1994 to run the winter event (Seattle to Inuvik to Anchorage) with Huntoon and former drag racer Brad Yuill in a Saab 9000 Turbo. We did not do so well that year due to a litany of minor problems.

I should probably post my Alcan tales somewhere as I did write them up for NINES the SAAB Club magazine.

Alcan is miles and miles of boredom punctuated with moments of competition. The everynight rest stops allow for socializing, and by the end of it all you wish you could do it all over again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts