Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Argentina's SS8 Gronholm leads Burns by just over a minute while the two other 206WRCs (Rovanpera & Panizzi respectively) hold positions in the top seven.

Makinen leads our Rim buddy, Petter, by a few seconds in 3rd & 4th respectively.

Sainz has his Focus in 5th while Loix (Hyundai) and Martin (Ford) round out the top ten with one stage (SS9, the longest) left to run today.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Freddy who?
My buddy Juha Kankunen is in 7th overall. Guess us old guys can show the others a thing or two. :+
Peugeot is becoming the better car in WRC. Wonder how long it's going to take Peuguot to make them available here.
Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
768 Posts
..and it's an OLD, OUTDATED model! The new one is coming out for the next rally.
- Pug = Ferrari of rally cars right now

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Topi said:
>..and it's an OLD, OUTDATED model!

Ain't that the truth?

But in Argentina, unfortunately, the junior half of the French factory team is struggling with less than half of Saturday's stages yet to run. Rovanpera is out and Panizzi has fallen from the Top Six as of SS16.

Up front it's still Gronholm, Makinen, Burns & Solberg followed by a trio of Focii (McRae has clawed his way past many cars to sixth but is about 1.5 minutes behind Sainz). It's boiling down to a Marcus -vs- Tommi battle at the head of the pack - there's just 6 seconds separating the two with six stages left to run (2 today and 4 tomorrow).

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 days = .5 seconds!

WOW! After 18 special stages Makinen's Subaru leads Gronholm's Peugeot by just half a second! It's unbelievable that two teams in two quite different machines could be that close together after two days of World Rally Championship competition.

(www.rallylive.com just flip-flopped the top two - live results initially showed Marcus leading)

Wow.

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another Peugeot One-Two

According to rallylive.com "Tommi Makinen went off in the last corner of the stage and rolled several times. The crew is reportedly okay." This on the rally's penultimate stage. I guess the close, rally-long battle with Gronholm finally caught up with the Subaru pilot.

This appears tohave left Peugeot with another WRC one-two.

Halley ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
RE: Another Peugeot One-Two

That would've been the case, but the judges decided to take the win from Grönholm. }>

Needless to say he was pretty pissed off and VERY surprised by this decision. I just watched Grönholm's interview, in which he said, that the rule that was applied in this case is very vaque and there had been a similar case with Colin McRae in last year's RAC, where he didn't receive any sanctions.

The press release said, that Grönholm "received illegal assistance having experienced problems leaving parc ferme this morning". From what Marcus said, the mechanics didn't touch the car at all and their advice wasn't really helpful either.

Janne

·
Registered
907 Posts

Looks like Pug is having a bad day or that FIA has it for Pug, but now
Burns has been kicked out for non homologated flywheel.

And you guys want FIA rules?

-george

·
Registered
408 Posts

Doh!

Even the factory teams can't figure out homoligation! ;-)

Rally-Live has a nice little piece wher Gronholm trashes Burnsie. Trouble in the Pug family, I guess.

Now, where is Mad Mike when I want to gloat about Carlos? ;-)

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

>Now, where is Mad Mike when I want to gloat about Carlos?
>;-)

Asleep, and/or driving to work! Jeesh - when it rains it pours in Pug-Land! According to www.iwon.com:

"CORDOBA, Argentina (AP) - Carlos Sainz was declared winner of the Argentine Rally early Monday after the disqualifications of Marcus Gronholm and Richard Burns. Burns had been awarded victory Sunday after Peugeot teammate Gronholm, who finished the 22-stage rally first, was disqualified for receiving illegal help from his team.

But race organizers announced that Burns, the world champion from Britain, was stripped of his win because the flywheel on his Peugeot 206 infringed technical rules for being too light.

Peugeot decided not to appeal.

The amended results meant that Sainz, the Spaniard who had finished third in a Ford Focus, moved into first place. Norway's Petter Solberg, driving a Subaru, was awarded second, and Britain's Colin McRae, in a Ford, third. "It's been an amazing day," Sainz said. "When I woke up, victory was the last thing on my mind, but rallying is a strange sport sometimes. I have often seen the other side of things myself, losing a victory at the last minute, so my feeling is that whatever happens the record books will say a win is a win."

Gronholm, a Finn, still leads the overall drivers' championship with 31 points, 11 points ahead of France's Gillies Panizzi. Burns and Sainz are tied for third at 19 points. Peugeot leads the team standings with 68 points, followed by Ford with 41 and Subaru with 33."

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

>Looks like Pug is having a bad day or that FIA has it for
>Pug, but now
>Burns has been kicked out for non homologated flywheel.
>
>And you guys want FIA rules?
>
>-george

I ain't believing they have a rule for keeping a mechanic (or whomever) over a meter away from the contestants!

Halley ...

·
Registered
79 Posts

Saw tommi's acrobatics on the 2nd to last stage... what a bummer...

From the tone of the article, you have to wonder if the judges are italian or something... (havn't Peugeot been the victims of 'selective' enforcement' in the past?)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Never been a huge Sainz Fan, but he's driving the Ford's I Love -- it would be very cool if this led to a World Championship, I don't think anyone expects the rest of the season to go his way.

Also - I am disappointed in Peugeot, it has been fun to watch them dominate, but without appealing the decisions it seems they knew they were wrong on both accounts and nobody likes a cheater.

The season has become very interesting!

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts