Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this won't come as a surprise but I thought the people in the sport should see it first. It will be going out on the wire in a couple of hours.

Greg

Air Force Reserve Rally Team withdraws from 2004 season

ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. ? The Air Force Reserve Command has announced the withdrawal of its sponsorship of the Air Force Reserve Rally Team from the SCCA ProRally open class for the 2004 season.

?This was a tough decision because we got to know some fantastic people through our association with ProRally,? said Lt. Col. Jerry Herbel, chief, Advertising and Information Systems Division for the Air Force Reserve Command Recruiting Service. ?I especially want to thank Tim O?Neil and Alex Gelsomino for all their efforts on our behalf. They truly went ?Above and Beyond? for us, and we are grateful.?

?Unfortunately, the marketing situation in the series has changed drastically in the last few months,? said Herbel. ?Although we made every effort to stay involved, it eventually became clear that it will be impossible for us to reach our marketing goals next year and we can?t afford to make a large investment under those circumstances,? he said.

Although it won?t be competing, the Air Force Reserve will continue to honor its 2004 commitment to the SCCA Pro Rally Partnership Agreement, which was developed to underwrite the ProRally series organizers.

The departure from the ProRally series does not mean the end of the Air Force Reserve?s involvement in motorsports, explained Herbel. ?We will make an announcement concerning our plans for 2004 in the coming weeks.?

- 30 -

·
Registered
533 Posts
As a fan -and- and organizer, it means a lot to me, that despite your withdrawl from competition, the AFR has chosen to stand by it's commitment to the Partnership Program.

To me, that says a lot about your and team's character!

Thanks!

We hope to see you back out in the mud and dust soon!

JBLewis

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks Greg for the information. It's interesting, if not unfortunate, to see how all this has developed for the 2004 season with big teams dropping out. Maybe you all could make cameo appearances at some club events.

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
Registered
162 Posts
It appears that Subaru will fund the TV coverage on speed after all. Too bad this Announcment didn't come sooner - it might have kept AFR involved.

Sorry to see you guys go - best of luck though.

John B.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John

My understanding from them, which was confirmed by their release, was that they were funding the WRC broadcasts on Speed.

Thanks for your support,

Greg

·
Registered
946 Posts
>This has been quite the domino effect (starting with
>Mitsubishi).

Actually I think Kurt was first.

He did develope the relationship with the Manufacturers.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Well Major,

It was fun riding with you and it was great to have you and the AFR get involved in this branch of motorsport.
You have done a lot for us and the sport here in the US. Most folks don't know what was going on behind the scene.
Personally,.. I hope to see you and your team back sometime. Even if it's just a rallye or two.
Good luck with your new ventures.

Whiplash RallyeSport

1 - 10 of 10 Posts