Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andrew Comrie-Picard and Marc Goldfarb won Expert Class (and ovverall) the 2004 Motorsport Club of Ottawa Lanark Highlands Rally, a brisk overnight TSD, including 7 stages of the 1974 Rally of the Rideau Lakes, early this morning with a total panalty of 0.2 minutes spread over 330km and 20 controls. The battle went through the night with 2nd place finishers (also in Expert Class) and last year's winners Jaroslav Bartman and Brian Maxwell, who accumulated 0.5 in penalities.

Competitors were welcomed at the driver's meeting and greeeted at the starting line and flagged off by rallying living legends Walter Boyce (3rd place '74 Rideau Lakes) and Doug Woods (Rallymaster '74 Rideau Lakes).

Last year Brian Maxwell went on to win the Rally of the Tall Pines, so what does this Lanark win mean for our Andrew!!

There's so much more to tell, but that is the top news!

Craig Hamm
Organiser

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Congrats ACP! :) I bet that was a crazy event! :)

John:

Not as crazy as next weekend at Rally New York USA, where Marc will be driving and ACP will be co-driving. :eek:

Doug Woods

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
rules of the road- first time Marc tries to look at the routebook, Andrew gets to WACK him.
:7

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Last year Brian Maxwell went on to win the Rally of the Tall
>Pines, so what does this Lanark win mean for our Andrew!!

And Tall Pines uses a few more of the Rideau Lakes stages...

Adrian

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
Somehow I think Marc forgot to mention the Mag-Light 6-Cell Driver Obidience Tool during his how to co-drive leasons. :)

Cant' wait for this weekend at RNYUSA04. It's going to be a hoot servicing for the Team O'Neil Spec VW gang, Last Ditch Racing, and God only knows who else!

See ya'll in the woods...

Tim

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It was a terrific event - thanks to Craig for organizing and all the workers for staying up all night parked on blind right hand corners...

Terrific roads, good speeds. But the really crazy time was actually on the first section before we were familiar with the form of the route instructions were at CAS76 where it was supposed to be CAS57 - for the whole section.

The car was all four wheels off the ground when I said "Marc, I don't think this can be right..."

Fortunately we figured it out before the first control, although it's hardly surprising that we took a small early penalty for it!

Next weekend? Uh, ask me in a week...

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Congrats Andrew and Marc... 0.2 total. Since both were 0.1e that means you were between 1 and 6 seconds early twice! We've got a long way to go!

We had an amazing time too - great route Craig, and a HUGE thank you to all organizers, marshals and volenteers. This was the most well organized event I have done in years!

To keep things interesting for us the power steering fluid all left home with about 150km's to go, then the power brakes stopped having power with about 20kms to go :)

-Martin.

·
Co-driver
31 Posts
A really enjoyable event !

I'd like to amplify the comments about the workers
who stayed out all night so that we could all
compete. Between this weekend with workers being
out all night and last weekend (at LSPR with
horizontal rain), my respect and admiration
for those who come out to work for the sport
could not be greater.

Becoming more and more difficult to find great
endurance TSD events where the driver, co-driver,
and car preparation all make a significant
contribution to the victory. Craig and his team should
feel a great sense of accomplishment for this event.

I'd have to believe that there would be competitors to
your immediate south in the finger lakes area that would
find these events terrific. The format is similar to the
winter series events run out of the Rochester, NY area.

And yes, the CAS error was my confusion alone over the
end of section. ACP did a respectable job of maintaining
CAS and we had enough time at the end for me to recalc the
section and correct.

Wonder what the average speed was for that road when it
ran as a stage .....

Yours in the sport,

Marc
>>

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ACP did a respectable job of maintaining
>CAS and we had enough time at the end for me to recalc the
>section and correct.
>

I LOVE a guy who will let me flog HIS car to within an inch of its life and call the performance "respectable"!

Actually it blew my mind that Marc was able to fix it all before the next checkpoint. We were 1 second early, as we were at the other control where we took a penalty. All credit goes to Marc.

Nice run Martin - you tied for Intermediate even with all those problems.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Come back next year Andrew. I'm planning a lengthy but more compact route for 2005. No run in/out to Almonte. Since Frostbite isn't scheduled for next year, either, I'll probably hit some of the great roads south of Highway 7 (like I did in 2004). The 2005 edition will have much less fanfare of course, but many of the same fantastic roads. Now that I have a good set of data I'll cure you of that 'zero fever' in the next edition. :) Mwu ha ha ha ha ha!!
Craig

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jah, just for everybody here that doesn't know, Experts were not allowed time allowances in this event.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dave Siesicki and I fried the alternator for a DNF. We competed in Dave's stage rally car which typicaly only has to run the auxillary lights for 10 to 15 minutes at a time on a stage. But running those lights for hours at a time caused the alternator to give up.
I really enjoyed the rally and hope to run in it again next year. It was a long weekend for Dave and I. I was up for 35 hours straight! Dave was up for over 30 hours and he did most of the driving!

Steve McKelvie
Navigator Lanark Highlands Car # 9

·
Co-driver
31 Posts
Steve made a very good point about subtle differences
in car preparation differences for an endurance TSD car
vs. a Stage rally car.

The Talon runs 4 130W bulbs and we had
severe reliability problems with the alternator
in early years of sorting it out 97, 98.
Even the "Canadian" Mitsubishi 90A alternator is only
good for 63A hot. (And its location next to the turbo
means it is always hot.)
The Talon has run a 140A aftermarket job that will run
with about 50% load margin all night continuously for the past
few years with good success. External regulator,
dry cell battery and #2 cable also helps.

In a stage rally car, you are only running the alternator
for typically minutes or tens of minutes at a time with
plenty of recovery time in between stages.

Similar comments about seats and comfort issues in a
TSD car vs. a stage car.

Marc
>>

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There were several car reliability issues at the Lanark.

While I have not stage rallied, the other thing that makes an endurance TSD a real test is that while in stage rallying you operate at 100% for a stage, then drop to 10% on a transit, repeat, on these overnighters, you run maybe only 50-70%, but you rarely get a break in 8 hours. Drive, get your sticker, go again in a few seconds, drive for another 20 minutes. And the road isn't closed. The tension should be be less on a TSD, or maybe not, perhaps a just different kind of tension because there are more unknowns (no notes, no recce, new roads, traffic, hidden controls, ... cat technical issues) (?) I dunno!

Oh, just figured out the Lanark was profitable. Yay!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts