Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear that narrowing the scope of the crisis facing the US rally community to "SCCA this" or "SCCA that" risks diluting the response that is required to ensure there will be ANY future US stage rallying. We must acknowledge that there are desperately few sources for required insurance and like it or not, for better or worse, the future of that coverage rests squarely on the shoulders of the organizers and sanctioning body responsible for staging the next national event. For just one rally I would PLEAD with everyone to look past the perceived efficacy of the Sawmill response, ignore all the gray surrounding our sport, set aside self-centered expectations and do what we can to prove to the underwriters that we can blast through the woods without risking a spectator injury. Let's save the sport first and then go back to haggling about replacing, changing or supporting the SCCA.

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just can't do the subject justice here, Mike. We'll have to talk sometime. Let's agree that the west coast club rally crowd is ironically bearing the brunt of the "suspension" at the moment. This includes many people that have given of themselves selflessly to rally in this country for many years.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My point is that those (such as you and I) whose plans probably have not been altered by rally cancelations need to be understanding about the frustrations of those who have had plans ruined. Also, it's not always obvious who is being most "self centered." Everyone to some extent looks out for self, regardless of the level at which they compete, organize, etc. Being thoughtful of others in addition is certainly a great idea for all.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>I just can't do the subject justice here, Mike. We'll have
>to talk sometime. Let's agree that the west coast club
>rally crowd is ironically bearing the brunt of the
>"suspension" at the moment. This includes many people that
>have given of themselves selflessly to rally in this country
>for many years.

Dave,

While force majeure may be the easiest explanation for why upcoming NorPac ClubRally events have been cancelled I think it's critical that we keep in mind how resolving the problem at hand transcends the individual, the region, the division and even existing sanctioning organizations. Like it or not it appears that we stage rally fans have but one entity to appease so we can plan for the future. If STPR was sanctioned by USAC (or even NARRA) I'd be taking the same stand I did in the note above. I am convinced we must work together - at least once - to keep our sport.

On a personal slant, I am watching how things are being managed and may adjust my involvement with sanctioning organizations as more information becomes available. But at this moment it seems clear that one quiet person wields more power than many of us had an idea he might. The last time I had such a revelation was during my time as Watch NCO at the SAC Warning Center in Omaha. During the early hours of the DEFCON 3 that Nixon ordered in the 70s SAC's "civilian" NSA representative visited our corner of the Command Post. When I overheard him addressed as "sir" by an officer with more stars on his shoulder than I had stripes on my arm I was duly impressed. I never looked on that gentleman the same after that and, for me, it will be much the same regarding insurance reps.

You know, Dave, I particularly enjoy chatting with you and your brother. Give me a buzz if you care to - or PM me a phone number and I'll call you.

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Ponder this. You guys in the Pacific NW know that your plans have been altered and you are not going to have a club rally in 2 weeks. Here on the east coast we "think" we are going to have a rally in 2 weeks but we could be quite supprised. I'd rather be disappointed and not spend precious vacation days and money, than to spend them and end up having no rally!

·
Registered
967 Posts
>Ponder this. You guys in the Pacific NW know that your plans
>have been altered and you are not going to have a club rally
>in 2 weeks. Here on the east coast we "think" we are going
>to have a rally in 2 weeks but we could be quite supprised.
>I'd rather be disappointed and not spend precious vacation
>days and money, than to spend them and end up having no
>rally!

You will have a PROrally in two weeks, and Pikes Peak will have whatever that is they do with trucks, motorcycles and sprint cars, and we may even have the Wild West, unless our landowner pulls out as a reaction to the stuff being published on SCCA letterhead. The contracts are signed, and the termination costs are too much to ignore. The only events to be cancelled are the standalone ClubRallies where there is no TV contract.

I mean what kind of risk management professional would look at a closed course coefficient one rally sprint with NO danger to spectators and pull the sanction, while at the same time authorizing that nonsense they call Pikes Peak?

I would take time off work and even travel to Topeka to lobby for change if I thought anybody would listen to the great ideas that some of you guys have posted regarding safety. I'm not privy to the PRB's three hour phone calls, but if safety is the question surely they would have clearly identified any ClubRally problems and posed solutions after even one of those marathons.

This is not about safety, this is about ClubPolitics, the official sport of the SCCA.

Jim Culp
prorallypix.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>
>This is not about safety, this is about ClubPolitics, the
>official sport of the SCCA.
>
>Jim Culp
>prorallypix.com

After seeing what they are going to try to enforce for spectating (henceforth the ability to run an event/stages) at STPR, I can't disagree with you more. But it just doesn't make sense to shut down club (other than the fact that the little guy always gets s**t upon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts