Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a junior Mechanical Engineering student and I am looking to do an inturnship this summer, and I really want to do one that has to do with rally. Unfortunately for me I don't know where to start to look for this sort of thing and my advisor wants to put me in a papermill. Any information that could point me in the right direction would be nice.

Thankyou

Otis

·
Registered
342 Posts
In a little over a year I will be graduating with a mechanical engineering degree. You know, I never even thought about the possibility of having an internship having to do with rally, what a concept!!!!!! Hey, maybe when we graduate we could move to england and work for prodrive! Keep having fun in the woods, I know I will!

Matt Himes
Houghton, Mi

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm a first year ME major... I'm also thinking England in a few years :p good luck to you all, hope to see you there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey I will be there too I hope , but I will be the aero major. Hey rally cars have to have wings too. Are You guys in Fsae if your school has one?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I am glad to see that there are some other engineering rally guys out there. Are any of you doing any of the SAE design competions at your schools? Right now I am on the SAE Mini Baja team, it is our school's first attempt in a long time and we are off to a rough start. We can't seem to find enough money to get our feet off the ground. :( Oh well... I hope that we don't mess this up cuz damn it I want to race!!

Otis

·
Registered
678 Posts
Otis,

Can you do your internship at a rally prep shop? If so, how about Vermont? Aren't there a few major rally shops up there, like Vermont Sportscar and Libra Racing? Also, aren't there some guys with a prep shop (is it Arrieta?) in MA (I might be totally off on this one though)?

I would search down every link for US rally prep shops (starting with the links section of this site) and find out where they are located, to see how many are in the areas you are looking.

Good luck!

Shenan

·
Registered
240 Posts
Arrieta Motorsports is in Clinton Maryland. Choices for shops could be Vermont Sports Car, Libra Racing, or possibly some contact through Timo. You also have Eurosport Manhattan a little further south.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou everyone for you to take the time to respond. Those were some good sugestions and I will check out those. Oh ya and if you think of anything else please let me know.

Otis

G

·
A papermill sounds kind of sweet. ;)

Drop me an e-mail if you need help w/ your Baja project.
It can be at least on par with prepping a car.

I don't know how fixated you are on rally, but I would look at some of the east coast fuel cell companies.

Unless you are willing to move overseas, I don't know that a rally engineer is a viable career for young engineers. I do know one person who interned with Prodrive in Detroit.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

What other interests do you have?

matt
(yet another fool wih an MSME)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Which school in Maine? I graduated ME from UMaine a few years ago. In fact, I started the SAE club on campus. Now I have my own rally-car and have worked with Team O'Neil and AV Sport. Let me know if you want to talk.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All I can say is good luck to you, that's not going to be easy.

I'm yet another BSME fool who did forumla sae in college (WPI) 3 years ago. I work for a company that builds CNC machines and robotics in southern NH. Which is fun, it does give me the ability to make all sorts of cool parts for the rally car.

My advice to you would be to try like hell for that internship at any of the above mentioned places, but if you're having a hard time, try and find something that will let you be hands on and creative, get a job in a machine shop or something, that experience will be INVALUABLE!!!
I know a million (ok not quite, but close) engineers who can sit in front of a computer and draw/design anything, but ask them to go into the shop to make it, forget it.

That kind of a skill will make you much more marketable as a whole because it will give you a manufacturing mindset and skills that they really don't teach you in school.

Best of luck to you...and if you happen to find that magical rally company that's hiring, please let me know!! :7 my boss is well aware of the fact that if i got a job like that i'd be gone in a heartbeat.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Try APR (Audi Performance Racing) in Auburn, AL. www.goapr.com. You can find contacts on the site. They are all gears from Auburn U., and started a great tuning company. They help with the Auburn Formula and Baja SAE teams. They do engine work for the Mexican VW Rally effort. Plus they have their own racing effort. Very friendly, great folks.

Wilson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts