Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R-A et al have a big plate of stuff to do between now and Sno*Drift. A couple of things to consider after the dust and snow settles....

Organizational structure. The SCCA structure of Regions, Divisions and Areas are road-racing focused (and sometimes not good even then). I suggest that we think outside the box and define our regional zones in a more logical manner. This is true not only for championships and also leadership roles.

In some places the SCCA "division" is a fairly reasonable starting point, like SoPac, but others are more strung out. How far is your nearest venue, Bruce, and how far from end to end of CenDiv?

Events organized by SCCA regions. Out here the organizers are independent people, not SCCA regions, but in some parts of the country it's the SCCA region that organizes rallies. This implies that the disassociation with SCCA means the organizational structure of the committees will have to change. Not being schooled in law, I can't presume to understand the details, but I assume that the people like FLR and LSR will have to form a new, independent organizing "corporations" even while they call on their many SCCA friends to help out.

Logistics. Licensing, tech inspection, etc, shouldn't be too awful difficult, but it may make sense to coordinate with an existing group like NASA or USAC who already have licensing mechanisms in place. This may be predicated on how much work R-A is willing to take on right away.

Sanctioning. This also begs the question as to whether R-A will become a formal sanctioning body a la IRL, Nascar, etc, or will they be the umbrella group for individual organizers, offering standard rules and such, but not actually managing day-to-day licensing, sanctioning, and insurance issues.

Trademarks, marketing, etc. In the midst of everything else, will sponsors like Hot Wheels come along with the new series? Is SCCA going to sell the "ProRally" and "ClubRally" brands to R-A? If so, does it make sense, or should R-A take the opportunity to come up with a new moniker?

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>Logistics. Licensing, tech inspection, etc,
>shouldn't be too awful difficult, but it may make sense to
>coordinate with an existing group like NASA or USAC who
>already have licensing mechanisms in place. This may be
>predicated on how much work R-A is willing to take on right
>away.
>

If the spirit of rebuilding performance rallying is real and people want to see this sport prosper and grow from this point forward, why not consider a coordination of licensing among the various potential sanctioning bodies: RA, NASA, ARSG, USAC, CARS, whomever. It would seem that the time is right to explore a "North American Rally License". Competitors don't benefit by having two or three or more pieces of paper in their wallets.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Is SCCA going to sell the "ProRally"
>and "ClubRally" brands to R-A? If so, does it make sense,
>or should R-A take the opportunity to come up with a new
>moniker?

Phew...

I wanted to post about this, but decided to wait until someone else brought it up.

DUMP "CLUB" anything! It sounds awful. Try selling that name to your local sponsor. I hated it when Spitzner proposed this in 1998, and I still hate it.

Now no one can try to defend this "club...." stuff by stating it is in line with SCCA ClubRacing.

Dump it!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I like XXX Regional Rally Championship (like Northwest Regional... or NWRRC) and National Rally Championship.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>Trademarks, marketing, etc. In the midst of
>everything else, will sponsors like Hot Wheels come along
>with the new series? Is SCCA going to sell the "ProRally"
>and "ClubRally" brands to R-A? If so, does it make sense,
>or should R-A take the opportunity to come up with a new
>moniker?

This one (What do we call it?) is a quick need for folks already in negotiations with potential sponsors...or even those sending out proposals right now. Thankfully, RA recognizes this and it is on the list of things to get hammered out quickly...I think their list includes everything on John's above and far more.

I can't wait til LSPR. I can't wait to hear what RA's plans are in entirety. I do have confidence in them. And us.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>I like XXX Regional Rally Championship (like Northwest
>Regional... or NWRRC) and National Rally Championship.

I'm almost for it (90%).

(brand x) National Rally Championship.
"NRC", sounds good.

(brand x) Regional Rally Championship.
"RRC", eeh... hmmm... I'm almost there. "RRC" isn't my favorite, but I could live with it.

On second thought......

What about (brand x) National Rally Championship (NRC)... period?
It used to be PRO RALLY only. That worked fine.... for everyone.

Who does RRC help? I don't think it helps the truly national guys. It certainly does not help the regional guys. NRC for all strikes me as the proper way to go.

No one is going to confuse some major well funded team with a small local team.

My "vote" is for:

(brand x) National Rally Championship.

·
Registered
4 Posts
>Organizational structure. The SCCA structure of
>Regions, Divisions and Areas are road-racing focused (and
>sometimes not good even then). I suggest that we think
>outside the box and define our regional zones in a more
>logical manner. This is true not only for championships and
>also leadership roles.

I like the sound of that. The SCCA regions are a gigantic mess. I'm in Tx and there is no need for 6 divisions in a state that has one rally per year.

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nomenclature

At the risk of being struck down by oval-throwing compatriots, we could adopt a Nascar-sounding name like Southwest Tour.

Better yet, how does the name "Western States Rally Championship" sound? Oh, wait, it's been taken!

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Add to the list: rally cross and rally sprint

Add to the list.

Feeder series. As soon as practical, R-A should begin working on Rally Cross and Rally Sprint programs.

It's kind of surprising the whole package wasn't handed over when SCCA made the announcement, but on the other hand, the old adage "follow the money" makes sense. RallyX and RallyS are low-risk, youth-oriented activities with the potential to bring in young new members, something the SCCA still sorely needs, so I could understand the reluctance to hand over that particular (small?) bag of money. Or has my eye wandered towards cynicism of late?

[hr]

John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
RE: Add to the list: rally cross and rally sprint

>Add to the list.
>
>Feeder series. As soon as practical, R-A should
>begin working on Rally Cross and Rally Sprint programs.

Totally agree here, I was suprised that Rally Cross was not part of the deal. It's a totally logical progression from Rally Cross to Rally Sprint to Divisional Level to National Level.

R-A should really push to include this as part of their program.

·
Registered
119 Posts

I don't know if it's still true, but when I became a member RallyCross was the "fastest growing sport within SCCA". If that's still the case ....

>Add to the list.
>
>
>It's kind of surprising the whole package wasn't handed over
>when SCCA made the announcement, but on the other hand, the
>old adage "follow the money" makes sense. RallyX and RallyS
>are low-risk, youth-oriented activities with the potential
>to bring in young new members, something the SCCA still
>sorely needs, so I could understand the reluctance to hand
>over that particular (small?) bag of money. Or has my eye
>wandered towards cynicism of late?
>
>[hr]
>
>[p align=right]John Dillon
>John @ WidgetRacing.com
>www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Trogdor
915 Posts

>Add to the list.
>
>
>It's kind of surprising the whole package wasn't handed over
>when SCCA made the announcement, but on the other hand, the
>old adage "follow the money" makes sense. RallyX and RallyS
>are low-risk, youth-oriented activities with the potential
>to bring in young new members, something the SCCA still
>sorely needs, so I could understand the reluctance to hand
>over that particular (small?) bag of money. Or has my eye
>wandered towards cynicism of late?
>

Young?

I'm generally the youngest, or at least one of the youngest, at the rallycrosses I have spectated and competed in. And I'm in my late 20's. That's not "old", but it's still a decade away from "youth".

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>In some places the SCCA "division" is a fairly reasonable
>starting point, like SoPac, but others are more strung out.
>How far is your nearest venue, Bruce, and how far from end
>to end of CenDiv?

Yup - CenDiv is pretty big, but on the other hand, all these guys are used to competing against one another, and towing long distances to do it. When SCCA proposed splitting CenDiv in two recently, the reaction of most of the ClubRally folks was that merging the two new divisions into one championship would be best.

Where there's already a strong program, change for change's sake doesn't seem reasonable.

In addition, there's a team of stewards in place that are familiar with their divisions - the events and the competitors. No point in breaking this up unless there's an overriding reason.

Oh - nearest rally is 4 hours from me, and it's a 27 hour tow from one end of the division to the other. So what?

>Events organized by SCCA regions. Out here the
>organizers are independent people, not SCCA regions, but in
>some parts of the country it's the SCCA region that
>organizes rallies. This implies that the disassociation
>with SCCA means the organizational structure of the
>committees will have to change. Not being schooled in law,
>I can't presume to understand the details, but I assume that
>the people like FLR and LSR will have to form a new,
>independent organizing "corporations" even while they call
>on their many SCCA friends to help out.

In general, ProRallies have been independent entities (although many are pretty tight with their local regions) while ClubRallies - by definition - are organized by regions. In fact, rallies everywhere are put on by a close-knit bunch of crazies...region or not. I would anticipate that not much will change...except us lawyers may make a buck or two doing incorporations. :)

Bruce

·
Registered
426 Posts

John, whe I talked to Doug at Prescott, he stated that SCCA was giving up STAGE rallying, then we talked about European style
closed corse rallying, and as a lead in, side by side rally racing
on duplicate courses. I'm not sure that SCCA is giving up on all dirt racing, but what do I know, we both drink at rallies. Twenty years gives us the right.

Roger

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>>In some places the SCCA "division" is a fairly reasonable
>>starting point, like SoPac, but others are more strung out.
>>How far is your nearest venue, Bruce, and how far from end
>>to end of CenDiv?
>
>Yup - CenDiv is pretty big, but on the other hand, all these
>guys are used to competing against one another, and towing
>long distances to do it. When SCCA proposed splitting
>CenDiv in two recently, the reaction of most of the
>ClubRally folks was that merging the two new divisions into
>one championship would be best.
>
>Where there's already a strong program, change for change's
>sake doesn't seem reasonable.

Bruce, while I have always enjoyed the competition, comeraderie, and roads in MN, I have always hated the tow. Since the Clubrally championship held little value for me, I instead chose my rallies by proximity rather than SCCA Division. Hence the 7 hour out-of-div. tow to STPR would win out over the 15 hour in-div. tow to Minnesota. This is one reason why you haven't seen me at Headwaters in some time...not because I didn't want to run the rally or see your smiling faces.

I think 2 things should be thought of when drawing region lines on a map:

1) Number of hours/number of events in that area. If you have two healthy areas of one region, each with their own schedule of rallies, it may be beneficial to let them split.

2) Regional sponsorship. For ProRally, it makes sense to go after national level sponsors since the car is only in one place for a very short time for any one promotion. For ClubRally, we should follow the example set by our circle track friends. If you go to the local round lot, you will see racers getting USEFUL AND SIZEABLE amounts of sponsorship from local businesses. Those businesses can see a return right in their hometown, every Friday or Saturday night. A regional rally series should be geographically small enough to have a presence IN THAT SMALL AREA and offer smaller businesses, with a business area of maybe just a couple states, to see value in sponsoring a team.

Edit...grammar & speling

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Lurch be such a smart feller!

I agree with his last post here 100%. Recently talking to a nordern MI company for S*D, LSPR, Cadillac, Baldwin events, plus Autorama & some other appearances, this is a viable(and often overlooked) option for people.

Lots of folks overlook the large value to be shown/offered with regional marketing.

Just dont call it Club. Please.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts