Special Stage Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
With only 35 drivers, here's what lots of you missed out on Saturday which resulted in us getting a whopping 9 runs for the day!

[video=youtube_share;BrhlUJGD8_w]http://youtu.be/BrhlUJGD8_w [/video]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
While I hadn't planned on spending much money on the car this Winter. During the the 4th run of the last RallyCross event of the year on the November 3rd, my old 5 speed 1st & 2nd gear shifter fork decided to change those plans and break. And it turned out that one of my really good friends happened to have an '07 STi transmission he was looking to sell. So seeing the price was far better then any that I would come across in the future, especially seeing it only had 6k miles on it, I took it.

Just got back from weighing the car in. It's now at "2760"lbs, the last time it's last weigh in was at "2640"lbs which was 2 days after it was caged and the only thing added back in was my old Sparco Evo seat and 8 or so cans of white spray paint. It still didn't have the dash, heater, or either of the current seats and other all of the other miscellaneous added items. So looks like I've only added "120" lbs to it.

Now to explain why I keep quoting the numbers. I've been taking the car down the street from my house to the truck stop with CAT Scales. They say it's accuracy is within in 20 pounds. So to test that I had them do one weigh with a 25ibs dumb bell (that's been collecting dust) and it came in at 2800lbs. So not only was the weight different with the 2nd weigh but also from the weight being removed. Once it comes time to start splitting hairs with weight removal I'll use some actual car scales.

Until then, like Drew Carry used to say "welcome to the show where the numbers don't mean anything".

As much as I enjoy the comfort feeling of the rear diff guard, it's impossible to keep things clean behind it.

With the exception of the clutch and flywheel, all of the other parts have been pulled for the cars up coming transfusion.

Aaaand... There's the $4k problem. And by the price I mean the funness that's going in it's place. The 1st/2nd gear shifter fork decided that after 225k miles it had enough and thew in the towel.

This had been the most frustrating 3 hours of this project. The problem was the top of the pedal bracket won't line up with their 3 mounting points of their bracket which is welded in. The bracket around the brake master has no play, and the 2 bolts on the clutch master is as far down as they will go. I referenced another similar swap and every bolt lines up. Nothing seemed to go right that day.

The new pedals in their place after a very frustrating day.

The old transmission was a pull cable, so here's the start of the new one is hydraulic one

The original shifter that was purchased was advertised for a 04-07 STi when in reality it was the longer '08 STi. So it kept hitting the top and rear of the transmission tunnel. Luckily I have a really great friend who happened to have a 04/05 shifter so we traded.

Seeing they would be off anyway, it made for a perfect time to replace all but a few of the suspension bushings

The newly added bushing ready to go back in.

The 1st corner all buttoned up and ready, with the exception of the pictured sway bar endlink being mounted wrong. The other 3 corners, new wiring and everything that I have parts for with the exception of the clutch fluid and transmission fluid are in which will be finished up tonight and the car will hopefully be drivable this evening. The DCCDpro controller will be ordered later this week! Hurrraaay!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They are made by Prothane and were bought through eBay. Yep, the 1/4 in.-28 Zerks were drilled and then tapped after the bushings were inserted. I would suggest drilling and tapping after the suspension parts are mounted because I did mine before and a couple of them ended up in poor spots that are in the way of bolts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its a great idea to add the Zerks, I'll wait a bit and make sure your arms don't start cracking or splitting at the Zerks hole.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I finally got around to installing the lights for my DCCDPro Universal Controller last weekend. Not only did I order my DCCDpro with the STi Cluster Interface, but I also got the Left Foot Braking, STi Controls knobs and buttons, Reverse TPS and the USB Tuning Kit which I haven't yet played with. So far I've only gotten to drive the car in "anger" once since the STi transmission was put int and it's like night and day. It has far better traction then before and LFB package with the controller is a blast for getting around corners. Even though I've had the controller installed for over a month now, it's been interesting to see how often it puts the power to the front when in automatic mode while driving around town now that the lights are in. I've yet to see them go any higher unless it's in manual. And I'm sure I won't be able to pay attention to them during a actual event, but I will probably GoPro how it reacts in 2 weeks at the next RallyCross.

The only install issues I came across while installing the DCCDpro was trying to find the throttle position wire on my '97 Impreza. Which you'll have to look for other than their website for the older ECU layout. Otherwise, it was very simple and quick. I still haven't had a chance to play around with the USB Tuning Kit and will probably wait until I've had a little more seat time with how it is now. So far I've had nothing bad to say about it. And have always felt a little upset when reading about people disliking the quality solely based on the box/wiring. It's by far the cheapest and easiest solution to adding a DCCD controller to a none STi vehicle. I mean really, who cares about the box. You can't even see it unless you knew where to look. Whenever people complain about things like that it always reminds me of this Tommy Boy movie scene.

For starters I bought all of my 3mm LEDs with resistors already installed through Amazon and then soldered them to a pigtail cable that connects to the the DCCDpro pigtail. I've been putting this project on hold for the last 2 months while I tried to find the correct Automatic light harness but have since given up.

I then drilled out the holes of the gauge face to match up the rear where the automatic transmission lights would go. And yes, it's crooked... because it was kind of difficult holding the gauge cluster in my lap with one hand and getting the bit to not walk with the other. Oh well, when driving you don't even notice so who cares.

The lights then went in from the rear

And hot glued in place. The amber colored lights should have been lined up more in the center of their holes, and the blue, green & reds should have been pushed off to the sides. Reasons being is that the amber lights aren't very bright and the other 3 colors are extremely bright. Which during the day would be fine, but at night they are obnoxious.

To help cut the lights down I used a couple layers of Parchment paper

Then to help cut down on the light bleeding over to it's neighbors I used a couple layers of double sided tape pads

After all that work it was finally finished. I found if very humorous and fitting that while having my iPod on shuffle all day it waited until I was finished and was in the car about to make the video that it started playing the Flash Gordon theme song.
[video=youtube;_jujERMbhCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jujERMbhCw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

While I had the cluster pulled apart I also painted the air bag light out, because lets face it... none of that stuff has been in the car for some time now. With this cluster you have to pull even more of it apart in order to remove the light. I also used some sandpaper to lightly scruff the clear plastic which sits above the gauges to light them. This was to help defuse the light better and has helped light them much better then before.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Here's our in car from Saturday's Practice/"Race" day run #3 at last weekend's CHCA Temple Canyon

[video=youtube_share;GLMDDgErZtY]http://youtu.be/GLMDDgErZtY[/video]
I'm jealous...
Everything boinging good?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
They still... boing/pop every so often like they have been since day one. I was planning on sending them in to you at the beginning of winter. However, I didn't want to spend the money so that I could instead buy and throw in my new STi transmission. Hopefully they will continue to hold up until September so I can send them your way to look at. Dave and Grant keep offering to go for a ride with me to see what I'm talking about, but it just hasn't worked out in 20 months I've had them.

Otherwise as long as the car is going more than 20mph and not on too rough of surfaces they still hold to the ground good and fine. During the last hill climb event of last season it was very rough in the car and when we would ask/talk to others they all seemed fine with the surface and didn't feel it was bad in cars. And by bad I mean there were times we felt the wind was getting knocked out of us, and it wasn't over anything like jumps either. Here's a video from the 1st event on the same track, which wasn't bad like it was the 6 months later. The sections that were the worst are at 1:35-2:12 and then again at 3:45-4:05, I have video from the event but just never felt like editing it together.

I've also been having alignment issues with them. Basically they won't go to a negative camber and some corners at best will go to 0(ish). I hear the ears on the newest model have been changed, is that something that can be fixed on mine? I'm sure at some point I'll replace them with some 50mm but that's currently not on my to do list as the motor is slow and 3rd gear in my fancy new gear box isn't very perky. So those 2 items would come before.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What a great time at this weekends CHCA event at CORE! Glad that we were all still able to go out and play even after the looming threats of it being canceled. The rest of you who didn't show up to drive or spectate missed out on a great course

[video=youtube_share;r05RwI8jmDE]http://youtu.be/r05RwI8jmDE[/video]

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Go "like" my video in the link below (it's the one titled "Colorado RallyCross - USTDS - Event #8 - 08-31-2013 - #39" and posted by "Ryan"), if you do you'll be granted a stable filled with Unicorns, Rainbows and pots of gold and I might get the chance to have the most number of likes and win a GoPro camera. And lets face it, in the end we both win and if you're anything like Charlie Sheen then everyone will be happy after all of that winning.

https://www.facebook.com/sccaofficial/posts/961354297228096:0

Remember, it's this comment... not the original post by the SCCA

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
FOR SALE

Hello old family of friends,
I'm selling my 1997/2005/2007/2015 "Subaru of America, Inc." "Impreza" "STi".

I do have a price range in mind but will not be letting it go for anywhere near the "1997 Subaru Impreza" $800-$3k Kelley Blue Book/Rally Community market value.

If someone is willing to acknowledge the cost of a new build with similar parts and would like to make an offer similar to that cost they are more than welcome to. Otherwise it will be parted out

Full spreadsheet and pictures are available to serious buyers. Small summary is as follows indicating just some of the $25,448 spent to get it to where it is today. Additional short story telling can be found on my S-Sport page.

If you have any further questions feel free to email me

•2010 purchased the vehicle in stock form from Shawn Watson with RetroRoo - $1,300
•2011 Subaru 2 and 4 pot calipers - $650
•2012 - JVAB coil overs - $2,200
•2013 caged by Grant Hughes and Scott McCarty at Rally.Build - $2,250
•2013 Cobra Sebring and OMP Racing HTE seats from Bryan Short with Rocky Mountain Autosports, Inc. - $2,030
•2014 - '07 STi transmission from Zach Fothergill with ZF Design. It had <$6k miles and fully rebuilt when installed - $3,914
•2015 Hydraulic handbrake tied into Center Diff $420
•2017 had the following installed - $6,664
-2004 STi ECU
-1997/2004 STi harness merger done by iWire Wiring Services
-2005 WRX 2.5l engine purchased from Allen Stewart at Subie Recycler and installed by Todd Briley at The Subie Doctor
-VF48 Turbo
-2015 STi itercooler
-2015 STi steering rack
-with tons of other parts from Jon Cooley at Flatirons Tuning
•2018 Sabelt 6 point harnesses
•2018 Engine cutoff switch with impact sensor $500
•2018 Center dash electrical panel

Other miscellaneous information:
•There are 6 COBB Tuning Access port maps for it, 3 with the restrictor and 3 without. Tuning was done by Harvey Epstein at TheBoostCreep Ltd.. Non restricted map is rated for 247 WHP
•Comes 3 sets of wheels, 2 sets have fairly "new" tyres with one event on each but dating back to 2018. - $2,430
•Full aluminum underbody skid plates from, excluding transmission - $1,120
•Truck loads of other miscellaneous Subaru parts
•Monit G-200+ GPS tachometer $700
•2013 Stilo USA WRC open face helmet $870
•2013 Stilo WRC DES intercom $400

There were many, many amazing deals given by every one of these individuals mentioned. No way I could have done it without their endless support.

It's had a Rally America log book since 2013

It has competed in Colorado Hill Climb Association events, was the 0 car at the 2018 Rally America Rally Colorado, 2019 one ice race and who knows how many SCCA Inc. Colorado RallyCross events. Always garage kept, with minor rusting due to the silly ice race.

Only current issue is it overheats which happened in the last event it completed which was the 2019 American Rally Association Rally Colorado. It's believed to be caused from the AC being put back into the vehicle the day prior to the event since before that it ran like a champ with no issues.

#subaru #subaruwrx #sti #rally #rallycross #stagerallying #rallycars #zfdesign #subarusti #subaruwrx #rallycolorado #rallycar #rallyracing #rallylife #scca #sccarallycross #hillclimbracing #hillcimbcar #race #racecar #rallycars #rallycars #subarunation #subaruwrxsti #subarulove #rallyamerica #americanrallyassociation

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.