Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '97 Impreza Wagon Open Light Rally Build

In everyone's adult life they should ask themselves do I save up for my own house, put more money into a 401k, go on some European trip or do I fulfill my childhood dreams and build a race car?

Well as most of you have already done I'm sure you can guess I went with the fulfillment of one of my biggest childhood dreams which was to own a Rally Car and legally drive it flat out like a crazy person down County dirt roads. Which when growing up in the foothills of Colorado in Clear Creek County you often find yourself on flowing hilly dirt roads imagining how much fun it would be to just ignore the 35 mph speed limit and go for it. Even more so on snow days before the plow had a chance to get out and destroy a perfectly good powder day.

Some people over the last few months have asked me "rally what is that?" And then after explaining it to them there's been responses such as "that's insane! Why would you put yourself and your investment at such a risk". Well that's easy, growing up I often found myself running or riding mountain bikes on dirt trails. I also spent about 7 years competing against some of the best runners in the state on those trails in the hot summer sun, cold snowy winters and wet raining spring downpours. So I guess you can say my passion was not only influenced by driving down those county roads but also the years of running and constantly pushing yourself to the limit regardless of what hill or weather conditions might get in your way. Which is why I feel like Rally is the ultimate test in automotive racing. There is no excuses as to why you did not win or finish other then those which you let get in your way. And as with the days of running where you often heard your fellow friends and teammates encouraging you to push harder, with rally they are sitting right next to you pushing you past your skill limits. But instead of screaming at you through trees half winded they are yelling at you through an intercom. All while you pass your friends and family who are standing next to the road cheering you on.

Here are some of the build pictures along the way to that dream. While it seems to have been a long road before it can see it's first stage mile and was filled with lots PB&J sandwiches and Mac-N-Cheese, it has eventually gotten to being close to there and will be more then worth the wait in a couple of weeks at it's first event. And when it is finished it will not only continue to be raced in SCCA RallyCross events which I've been doing since 2007, but bigger kid stuff like CHCA, NASA Rally & Rally America events. And while the car is almost finished for it's first hill climb there's still a little more to do, so here's where it is to date.

Hope to see you all while mingling waiting for the next SS or cheering on along side of the roads at it's first big event when it is finally finished! And remember to always Press On Regardless!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

New 4&2 pot calipers and rotors for the Wagon. They were far from being on my priority list for building the Rally car. But I got all of it for the price of the front ones new. And then there was the cost for the Kartboy brackets, stainless lines and 2 new wheels... Oh well, the current buyers remorse will go away when I can spend the money saved on something else

I won't lie, when this box showed up at the door I almost peed myself a little.

The first day out with my fancy new JVAB coil overs. Oh what a joy it was to jump a car and have it feel like plopping down on a couch when landing.

After owning the car for the past 2 years, this past November finally came to be the time to take this heavy set bootylicious girl to Jenny Craig and get her slimmed down for bikini season.

The last picture before it was gutted

And well that escalated quickly... It took two hours to pull all but the main part of the dash out. Next the dash, sound deadening, and un-needed pain in the neck wires

It ended up taking me 2 1/2 hours to remove the 22 ibs of sound deadening with the dry ice method. The stuff simply fell off with it

What car build isn't complete without a picture of a pile of stuff to be installed?

The last picture of it before it went off to be caged

Her final wet (full tank of fuel) weigh in before being taken to get caged tomorrow morning. 280 pounds of useless garbage was taken out!

The good boys over at No Cost working hard while on lookers admire their craft

The new numbers with the cage added.

Because of work I've had a very busy winter where very few of the nights were spent at home. So I picked up the car with parts still warm from being caged on the night of Saturday February 6th, still without it's windshield of course. And then Prepped and painted the interior on Sunday

And after about 12 cans of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy we were done around 9pm.

Then Monday morning I had to get it back into driving condition to take it to have a windshield put in. And then later that day had to leave out of town for 2 weeks for work.

It sure doesn't look or feel like there's a lot to show for the past 17 hours of dust/water proofing, welding, painting, wire harness running and dash fitting/flocking. But as soon as a couple of dash parts dry up it can finally go back in followed by the seats and belts. Until then I'll have to keep busy by chopping up the door panels. After all, this will be my last day to work on it before the first RX event.

More installed from Rocky Mountain during my 2 days free before the first event of the Colorado RallyCross season

And the first trip with everything installed in the car is... REI to spend $200+ on none Race Car parts for once.

Bacon wrapped in bacon, wrapped in bacon! Well... okay, not really. But almost as good for you.

Still getting more and more parts in. Today's new toy, even delivered in person by the hard working boys up at Rocky Mountain Autosports! While true, there were plenty of other cheaper options out there. I figured I'd just go ahead and buy what I really wanted. Which in this case was because I spend lots of time driving the car to and from RallyCross events, so it would be nice to have something to listen to other then road noise.

And the most recent of chores: Removed the Cat and muffler from my old stock 2.5" WRX exhaust and fitted it up to the wagon for that added annoying race car sound. I'm sure my neighbors will love their new 5am wake up call during RallyCross weekends.

And of course the best passport a boy could ever want which just showed up in the mail.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny sorry.... when I jacked up the car to change the tires out at the last rally cross and noticed 1 of the front bolts were gone and the other was about 4 threads from being a problem. I guess I didn't tighten it down put it back on over the winter... :eek:

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Well so happy when I see this:

And read this:
I won't lie, when this box showed up at the door I almost peed myself a little.
And here's the best part:

The first day out with my fancy new JVAB coil overs. Oh what a joy it was to jump a car and have it feel like plopping down on a couch when landing.
Good luck Ryan. :p

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some of last nights chores.

I mounted the front fire extinguisher and add seam sealer around the rim of the hole plugs to keep water out because they were still leaking. I also had to raise the front of the co-drivers seat bracket because even with the rear of the seat mount as low as it'll go and the front as high as possible it still felt flat. Another note about this picture, awhile ago I ended up painting the brake and fuel lines so that they were more obvious to people and they don't end up kicking/bending them. I also went with florescent zip ties on the wire harness so that they would be easier to find if I ever need to pull it apart. Which was a theme I've been carrying over to other items as well.

I also added the hood pins which took some thinking and effort. But a special thanks goes to Bryan at RockyMountainAutoSports for this order!

I picked the 2 outer rectangular holes to mount them at so I could get the nuts onto the screws. I also added some seam sealer around the screws to help keep them from working loose, which I've been doing more and more of.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

The triangles are all mounted up and will hopefully see little action.

My car is so "light" I've decided to add a little ballast to it in the form of 1 of the 2 fire extinguishers. Both are items I hope to never use.

Updated view from the front

Updated rear view

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After spending the last 5 months taking my '97 Subaru Impreza Wagon and getting it road worthy for Hill Climbs and Stage Rallies, the time has finally come to take it out to Colorado Off Road Extreme and see what she can do 2 weeks before it's first hill climb event.

Driver/Owner: Ryan Sealey
CO-Driver: Tommy Kilpatrick

http://youtu.be/aL1hhKy6M_c

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After years of waiting around, followed by months of building, the day finally came to participate in my first big kid event requiring a real roll cage. Here's a video of our 2nd practice run on April 20th and 1st race day run on the 21st with Colorado Hill Climb Association at Pueblo Motorsports Park.

Driver: Ryan Sealey
CO-Driver: Tommy Kilpatrick

Practice Day Run #2
Time: 04:35.77
http://youtu.be/AOHFGrvaScw
Note to self, don't shift while making a sharp turn...

Race Day Run #1
Time: 04:13.72
http://youtu.be/GVyyp_xOZNk

Then on this past Saturday the Colorado RallyCross group had our 3rd event of the year at the USTDS. Here are my quickest AM/PM runs
AM Run #3: Time 108.945 (no penalties)
PM Run #2: Time 103.98 (with 2 cones)
http://youtu.be/1W_OHX4Ug4s

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Nice build and write up. well done dude

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
I'm liking yours myself. If only it wasn't in another country, then you'd be able to work on it more.

Here's a video I did 2 weekends ago, when 2 of us went out to play at CORE. Silly YouTube made me change the song due to "copyright" laws. Oh well
What a strange color green the struts appeared.. Is there something wrong with them? Is it some color correction? Cause I think those were the
"Oafish-al Sooooper Bitching Suspenders Green"

Does the color affect how they work?:confused:

hey you have a side shot of how the car sits?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'd assume it just looks that way from the GoPro trying to adjust from being in a dark place with lots of brighter light coming in from the outside. The none scratched up parts are still brighter in person.

Here's a picture of it parked. As I was telling you in August that's as tall as I can get it without the springs popping out and onto the top of the locking nuts. They still move around a little, so at some point I'll have to get some helper springs to go with them.

And here's one of the many times where bouncing all over while attempting to get it to actually turn and not under steer all over the place during the low speeds of a RX. I'm going to end up swapping them out for Rally Crosses in the next month for some KYB - AGX struts with STi springs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's the latest addition to my Primitive vent and eBay roof scoop which I made the other weekend. It's nice not waisting all of the air straight down the middle and to the back. However I would prefer to have a vent with the single lever in the middle and not the long one that connects from side to side because it would have made for better positioning of the diffusers and easier fabrication.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Swapping out the "old" stiff JVAB rally suspension for a smoother RallyCross ride on AGXs after they had a long day pulling the correct top plate parts. The RetroRoo boys did the fastest suspension change they've ever had to do. Seriously, we had 45 minutes until my alignment appointment and got all 4 corners swapped in 30. I won't lie, it was pretty awesome sitting back watching with my cup of water. I almost felt like a real race car driver.

The height of the car has dropped a lot with the AGXs (on the Left) compared to the JVABs (on the right). I feel like I'm in a low rider now and need some hydraulic switches.

It was nice having a smooth ride while it lasted. But Lands End hill climb is this weekend, so it's out with the new and in with the old.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After a 6 hour delay at the side of I70 on Friday due to mechanical problems with the tow vehicle, we were unable to get to Grand Junction until 11:30pm. And therefore we could not make our own notes and had to use ones made by another team.

Then as we pulled up to the line on Saturday we were faced with a 45 minute delay due to problems on the course. Until finally, we had our first chance to get to the top. Granted, with 223k miles on the naturally aspirated 2.2L motor that's linked to the stock gear box which is made more for fuel millage... it was a very slow drive up.

[video=youtube_share;6zCXk9Piv_w]http://youtu.be/6zCXk9Piv_w[/video]

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Um, is there a question in there?

In everyone's adult life they should ask themselves do I save up for my own house, put more money into a 401k, go on some European trip or do I fulfill my childhood dreams and build a race car?
press on,

·
Registered
84 Posts
After a 6 hour delay at the side of I70 on Friday due to mechanical problems with the tow vehicle, we were unable to get to Grand Junction until 11:30pm. And therefore we could not make our own notes and had to use ones made by another team.

Then as we pulled up to the line on Saturday we were faced with a 45 minute delay due to problems on the course. Until finally, we had our first chance to get to the top. Granted, with 223k miles on the naturally aspirated 2.2L motor that's linked to the stock gear box which is made more for fuel millage... it was a very slow drive up.

http://youtu.be/6zCXk9Piv_w
Thanks for sharing the vids!! it's a real nice video editing, give your name to NASA, Rally america or CARS!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the complement. But I'd say they are still doing a better job. Whenever I've tried to put a video together that's of exterior shots at our local RallyCross events they always turn out like crap.

Sadly, the batteries kept dieing off throughout the weekend and/or the GoPro remote wasn't always communicating with all of them. So only my 1st of the 5 runs this weekend had video from all 4 cameras and that was my slowest of the weekend. Worst of all I slid into a ditch (twice actually. In, then out and back in) on my 3rd run. And the only camera that was working was the 1 looking to the rear and my phone that's always suction cupped to the window.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts