Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across two '63 Ford Falcons for the price of "just haul them out of my yard". Both are 2 door inline 6's and automatics but they are suprizingly rust free. Historic G5 anyone?

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
What size are those 6-bangers? Since they are likely pushrod engines you can multiply that displacement by .8 and you might just end up with ClubRally Production/Historic!

;-)

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Who cares what size the 6's are? Pull them out and put in a 289/302/347. The parts are readily available. As a side benefit, document your work and get in a magazine.
Richard

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 200 ci (2622 cc) could run Production, but I think Richard is right that the small block 289-302-347 is the way to go. I have been doing some research on the factory Falcons and Mustangs of the 60's and they did quite well with few modifications.

Now...all I have to do is find documentaion of rear disk brakes....

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Actually, use pickup truck drum brakes. There is a group racing early Mustangs that has done the research and written an article for one of the Mustang mags I get. IIRC, they used the front disks and rear drums from a 72 pickup which is legal in their arena.
Richard
PS: I am just going to buy 4 wheel disks from Stainless Steel

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford used Galaxie front rotors/hubs and rear drums which were much larger than stock. Falcons were excluded from some rally, I think Monte Carlo, because they had non-homologated parts, basically they were excluded not because of the larger brakes but the 15" wheels that the brakes required and the only OE wheel sizes were 13 and 14. The Historic rules say that you must keep the same system (drum/disk) as the car came unless you can prove that it was a modification done to actual RALLY (not roadrace) cars of the period. Some aspects of the H class rules are too loose, like the engine mods, while others are too narrow, like brakes.

For example, My Dad's '70 Boss 302 could very easily be setup as a copy of the Trans Am cars with big Galaxie front disks and rear disks using parts from other Fords just like the real Trans Am cars did. This would not be legal in H class because RALLY cars did not do that mod, yet I could leave in the 450hp, 8000RPM engine with modern roller cam, roller rockers, and loads of other stuff internally that did not even exist in 1970. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but then again anyone who has read the rule book should not be suprized by that.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
As I read (what you're saying about) the rules, it didn't have to be legal when it ran, it only had to be run! So run those Galaxie brakes and 15" wheels! They ran at Monte Carlo! You need better pedigree than that?

FYI Euro rules require that you show the original homologation papers for the parts.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Trogdor
915 Posts
>The 200 ci (2622 cc) could run Production, but I think
>Richard is right that the small block 289-302-347 is the way
>to go.

If it's a '63 it had either the 144 (2.3l) or possibly the 170 (hair under 2.8l). 200ci is about 3.3l, FWIW, and I don't think it was ever offered in the Falcon. At least, it was first offered in the '64 Mustang.

There used to be some neat stuff done with the 144 and 170, until Ford started offering V8s in the Falcon (in '63 with the 260!) and then there was really no point after that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Brian,

You'll need the V-8. I think the 6 cyl. started out at about 60-70 hp (el dog-o) so you'd have a LOT of building to do.

Dave Latourette has completed at least one 6 to V8 Falcon conversion:

http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/

(I can't wait to read JVL's post chastising you for getting sidetracked with a Falcons. :7 )

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>Brian,
>
>You'll need the V-8. I think the 6 cyl. started out at
>about 60-70 hp (el dog-o) so you'd have a LOT of building to
>do.

Was gonna do that for sure.

>(I can't wait to read JVL's post chastising you for getting
>sidetracked with a Falcons. :7 )

Yeah, the car was sold before I got back so JV can save the scolding for another day. I still think an H class car is in my future somewhere down the line.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,632 Posts
I still think an H class car is in
>my future somewhere down the line.

Just a few more years, and that XRatty that you are building will be historic. }>

Wilson

·
Registered
186 Posts
In fact, I believe the rules are even more liberal than that. If you use materials and technology contemporary to the car, you can do the modification. Find contemporary a disc brake setup and adapt it to the car....totally H Class legal. There is no requirement that it had to have been done, legally or otherwise.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How 'bout Colt or Arrow?

>I still think an H class car is in my future somewhere down the line.<

Brian,

Let me know if you want to consider a RWD 1970's Colt or Arrow. We'll find one to suit your time and budget. I know where most of the remaining stage-prep'd cars are located around the country, and most of them are awaiting someone to upgrade them. Plus I know a guy in Kansas that's started collecting RWD Mitsu-Mopar street cars & parts.

They're a lot of fun and they're stout. If you don't go overboard with preparation they can be really cheap too! Plenty of 2.0 & 2.6 engines to bolt into them.

Rich Smith
Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

COLT / ARROW MOTTO'S: :+
Balance Shafts? We don't need no steenking balance shafts!
Wheelbase? We don't need no steenking 100 inch wheelbase!
Brakes? We don't need no steenking vented front brakes!
H-Class win? We don't need no steenking H-Class win!
Money? We don't need much steenking money either!

·
Registered
583 Posts
RE: How 'bout Colt or Arrow?

>You don't happen to know the fate of my "Arrow GT" that won
>P class in 1982 and '83?

>Those were some good times, and some great stories.

Steve,

I don't know about your Arrow GT, but .... I'll contact you off-line.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts