·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've ran

Ojibwe
Lake Superior
Paris
Sno*Drift
100AW

What should we expect as we venture forth to the east?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Very fast and very tricky.

High clay soil content meaning slippery if wet; can be dusty if dry.

Cliffs, drop-offs and trees.

Lots of trees.

Course will show no mercy if you goof-up.

Have fun.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
STPR is a long day, much of it spent as Parc Expose at the town green. Roads are smooth gravel and clay, slick when wet, with some interesting junctions including very acute ones, but generally fast flowing roads. Keep it in the center of the road as trees and stumps are often adjacent to the road or in the ditches in places.
Depending on your air intake system, you may want to engineer a temporary method to prevent water from being consumed by your engine during the water crossing. It can be removed at the first service immediately following the water crossing. Bring spare brake rotors and check them following the water crossing. Be sure to review the event supps regarding tow hooks and have them mounted and painted per the supps prior to tech.

Its a free alcohol event so Zimmer will be there.:p

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Bloody fast.

Trees (lots of them) very close to (sometimes IN) the road.

Long day.

Bring extra front brake rotors for when you crack them at the creek crossing (SS1). Do NOT fit new rotors before SS1.

Well done event.

Going through Canada avoids Ohio.

press on,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had some issues this year hitting stumps and rocks.

Have yet to replace any pads or rotors, due to my wuss-like driving style :)

I haven't fitted wheel scrapers to the car yet. Think I'll be ok without them ?

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Pssssst! all the warnings of speed presume a car capable of reaching "speed".
You shouldn't have any worries except your normal ones.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
very fast, completely treelined with the exception of small clearings where the pipeline runs through under the ground. steep drops on the sides but you won't go very far down usually with the tree cover. steep, hard banks that can do damage and flip the car easily. roads are hard and dry quickly. its a fine loose gravel covered clay surface, so, especially when its dry, the line is very grippy but off the line is where all the loose stuff is swept, so watch out because there is absolutely NO room for error pretty much anywhere. the roads are definitely the smoothest in the country, steady uphill and downhill climbs for the most part. hairpins are TIGHT, i meant TIGHT...very acute with sharp apexes @ junctions especially. LOTS of junctions.

keep in mind, the rally always has one of the highest DNF rates, yet it is the easiest rally on your car.

also keep in mind, i have never run the rally :) but this will be my 12th time up there this year...and i *will* be running it this time.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
I'm going to get myself in trouble here but...
In the name of "professionalism" STPR is the most competitor unfriendly event on the continent.
Anything in the supps will be enforced so they need to be read and followed.
Especially if you may withdraw.
Parking at registration is nearly impossible.
Tech is legendary for it's arbritary rule interpretation and always has a new "rule of the event" along with items for sale to help you comply with it.
You need to be early to line up for an incredibly long Parc.
During the event, be sure to be perfect because the officials take extra pleasure in catching any error you make.
Most drivers don't attend the "party" after because they need to be in attendance early the next AM to have a chance to collect $50.
(Even when there was beer)
When you get home you take most of a day to remove the darned Bank stickers.
At STPR, professional means no fun.
---
The roads are fast, can be slimy slick in rain and expect fog and dust. The ditches are where bad things have been pushed when the roads were graded.
rz

·
Registered
859 Posts
Spectator point of view;

Mile + long walks to the spectator areas...
Difficult to get to one spectator stage to another as the directions are a little too confusing (and by the time you make it to the car, stage might be over). When you figure your way around you cant figure out why you drove around for 15 extra minutes. (directions are like a TSD)Also had bad experiences with idiots speeding opposite direction of traffic while traveling to the stages.
Sometimes spectator cars might be lined up at exit of stage on transit roads which I am sure a lot of you guys rightfully complain
But on the other hand a lot of rally fanatics come out to watch. Huge packs of crowds even at night stages.
End of SS1 at the water crossing finish (Finish line in the middle of the water crossing! -depending on rain sometimes very deep!) where a lot of cars are eliminated as a few hundred spectators take bets on who will make it and who wont :)
A lot of burnt brake and clutch smell, glowing discs/on fire brake pads...;)
Parc Expose fun for spectators as it is in middle of town.

Hope to see you all there,
Oscar

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
As others have said; very fast with the occasional very tight hairpin. Crowned clay-base roads. Very smooth, but very slippery if it rains. Trees (and other obstacles) very close to the road - it is possible to severely mess up a car with only one wheel off the road :(.

Tech is a lot less arbitrary with Don Taylor as chief, but check the supps. Also note that your crew have to be there during the day on Friday or they don't get registered (even though they may have nothing to do until mid-day Saturday). Crew reg closes at 7:00PM.

It is a long day, but this year's schedule seems to be shorter (first car in before midnight - this can't be STPR).

Book accomodation early (like 10 months ago :)) - there isn't a lot in Wellsboro itself.

Remember that if you have scoring enquiries, your codriver has to get up early on Sunday.

Water crossing - the issue with brakes is thermal stress - hot brakes from LFBing through the stage hitting cold water. Numerous cars have DNF'd over the years from injesting water, too.

It looks like tech has moved, too.

Adrian

·
Registered
9 Posts
<When you get home you take most of a day to remove the darned Bank stickers.>

RZ Would you rather have a rally that has no sponsors and the entry fee is jacked way up?? You should be happy they sponsor the event, they put alot of money forth for YOU to go rally. Since I have connections at that bank maybe I can let them know that the competitors don't appreciate the money they put up to sponsor and they can save their money for something people do appreciate.

CB

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
><When you get home you take most of a day to remove the
>darned Bank stickers.>
>
>RZ Would you rather have a rally that has no sponsors and the
>entry fee is jacked way up?? You should be happy they sponsor
>the event, they put alot of money forth for YOU to go rally.
>Since I have connections at that bank maybe I can let them
>know that the competitors don't appreciate the money they put
>up to sponsor and they can save their money for something
>people do appreciate.
>
>CB

Calm down, I'm sure Randy didn't mean it like that. He's mad at the sticker, not the bank. Everyone appreciates our sponsor help. But seriously dude, you gotta experience these stickers. I don't think there is substance known to man that will remove that residue. I tried everything, and it didn't really come off until I whacked that part of the car and had to sand/repaint the panel! Next time I think I'd bring my own scrap vinyl patch to lay under it.

Ultimately, a little grumbling removing sticker residue is well worth the support we recieve from your bank, and every competitor knows it.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Rant on STPR

>Anything in the supps will be enforced so they need to be read
>and followed.
>Especially if you may withdraw.

I've seen several teams (including myself) screwed when it comes to withdrawing from STPR. No other event's supps have been so stringent in keeping your $ if you are forced to withdraw. Losing $500+ because you'd entered expecting and hoping to go but something breaks on the car while testing, that one part you needed is still on back order, RZs car delayed on trainride home from RockyMtn rally is too much.

What are the real cost to an organizer for when a team withdrawls when there was a waiting list for entry? Nothing. Why keep our $? The Canadian rulebook prohibits such entry fee withdrawl penalties by organizers in Canada.

And the meager $100 they did refund me was not sent until 3 months after the date specified in their supps and only after a barrage of emails requesting my refund. If they wanted teams to return, that IS not the way to do business. Haven't been back as a competitor since.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hmmmm...

Its a love/not love relationship for me. I love the roads, the traction (when dry), and meeting people around the green. Starting line running down Main Street in front of City Hall is pretty cool. Makes me think I'm in a Delorean in a Back to the Future movie. Wellsboro is your quintissential all-American small town with quaint streetlights lining Main St. and a Western Auto hardware store across from the single screen movie theater and classic diner.

Road-wise, it used to be my favorite rally...but now Cherokee has the best roads...and Maine is a lot of fun, too.

Stick the paper bank stickers to your sweatshirt 3 or 4 times before putting them on your car. Hopefully when they run out of this crate of stickers they'll get vinyl ones printed, cuz the paper ones look terrible if it rains.

Buy whatever the boy scouts are BBQing...unless you are co-driving. T-shirt sales go to the local 4H or something if I remember right. Buy a shirt.

I don't love the traction when soaked.

Pay your entry by check. If you pay by credit card/Paypal, check your statement at the end of the month. They have double charged more than one person.

Tech inspection is better now than it used to be. I have heard of people who would leave something undone for the inspectors to find so they could feel like they did their job. Years ago if you followed the rules to a T, they would make something up. One year it was roll bar padding all the way down the a-pillars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure RZ didn't mean it like that but negativity that surrounds each of his posts is just hard to fathom. Well it's quite a few people actually. But it's cool I just wish people on here would be more positive bout things instead of bashing everything. Has anyone ever brought it to anyone's attention about the stickers? Does everyone think vinyl ones would be best? Let me know your suggestions and I'll see what I can do.

CB

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
RE: Hmmmm...

>Tech inspection is better now than it used to be.

Hear hear!

>Years ago if you followed the rules to a T, they would make
>something up.

Like the year we added a token bolt & nut to the fire extinguisher mount that was already fastened to the car with 8 rivets - those little things the aircraft industry is satisfied using in place of nuts & bolts to keep airplanes together ...

Oh well - If it ain't one thing it's something else.

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
625 Posts
I ran it for the first time last year and it was a great event... Friday I had great grip on the pratice stage, but by saturday mornig when the rains came that grip was gone...... The water crossing was no issue, I just came around the corner and bam there it was... Lifted of the gas as I plunged in and hit it after the splash was gone.... I didnt crack my rotors but sense it was sencond event I was not that brake heavy.... The rest of the event was real fun, but the speed and the trees did make me a bit nervous on the route book.....

Sure is a long day.....

I hope to be there this year again.....

Larry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts